Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gerry Adams brother

(8 Posts)
alternativegran Wed 27-Nov-13 12:35:49

Just heard that Gerry Adam's brother has been found guilty and jailed

Iam64 Wed 27-Nov-13 12:49:17

Yes, was it 16 years, that is a long sentence and reflects the severity of the abuse he was convicted of.
I've read that his daughter's first complaint was at age 13, when she said the police were more concerned about the links to Uncle gerry Adams and the potential impact on the peace process. Uncle Gerry was also approached by his niece, and spoke to his brother Liam about the allegations, who (surprise) denied them. The news reports talk of rapes and indecent assaults between the ages of 4 and 9. The first rape took place when the girl's mother was in hospital, giving birth.
It seems the young woman went back to the Police to re-state her allegations after finding that her father was involved in Youth Work and realising the significant implications for other young people. Gerry Adams is alleged to have known his brother was involved in youth work.
I've read that Liam and Gerry Adams' father was physically, emotionally and sexually abusive within his family.
A very courageous young woman, who seems to have had good support from her mother once she was informed of the abuse.

whenim64 Wed 27-Nov-13 12:56:02

We've got two threads going for some reason?

Iam64 Wed 27-Nov-13 13:03:43

so we have when - can they be consolidated?

Iam64 Wed 27-Nov-13 13:04:38

I've messaged base control to see if it's possible to consolidate this discussion

whenim64 Wed 27-Nov-13 13:31:12

That thread's gone now. My comment on there was that I am glad to see justice has been done, and hope that his daughter will get some answers from her uncle as to why he covered up the abuse. She must have had such a fight on her hands.

Brendawymms Wed 27-Nov-13 14:11:43

Another example of political expediency being more important than justice.

Iam64 Thu 28-Nov-13 17:23:45

It is indeed Brendawymms, same with Cyril Smith with police in the 70's certain they had solid evidence to charge him with physical and sexual abuse of boys, but a stop being put on this by the DPP (on advice no doubt)

It makes me wonder how many other examples are just waiting to be exposed