Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Glasgow meet ?

(316 Posts)
bridie54 Tue 01-Feb-22 23:15:45

I'm going to be at DD's house near Glasgow 14-23 March and wondered if anyone fancied meeting up then. I've never been to a meet up in Glasgow so maybe if anyone has and knows a good venue they could say where would be good.

Marydoll Tue 01-Feb-22 23:31:25

Usually I organise the Glasgow meet ups in the Concert Hall cafe. There are usually too many of us, to book a venue, as quite a few people only show an interest at the last minute and some are coming a fair distance, so the weather plays a part too.
At the last meet up, I think there were at least seventeen people.
Its a bit different from the Edinburgh meet up, where Elegran used to book a private room in a hotel, where we had a special menu.

The Concert Hall is suitable for those who come from all airts and pairts, because it is near the bus and train stations and people can purchase their food on an individual basis. Otherwise it becomes a logistical nightmare, trying to work out the bill. The cafe doesn't take bookings, so some of us come early and put coats on seats.

Marydoll Tue 01-Feb-22 23:38:20

Bridie, if you fancy organising something, that would be good.

I'm not up to it at the moment, health issues means I'm unreliable!

TopsyIrene06 Wed 02-Feb-22 09:07:48

Please count me in and would look forward to meeting you all. Thank you.

Baggs Wed 02-Feb-22 10:11:10

I'm up for it ?

bridie54 Wed 02-Feb-22 19:07:15

Thanks for that Marydoll. If the Concert Hall cafe worked before then we should just go there again - early and with coats ?
For those who are interested is there a particular day that would suit. I’m a free agent so any day would do me.
Marydoll I hope you feel good on the day and manage to come.

baubles Wed 02-Feb-22 19:20:39

I’d love to come along if I’m free.

Can’t do Mondays or Thursdays and some Wednesdays are out but other than that I’m free. gringringrin

Why don’t you choose a couple of dates Bridie, and see who can make it?

Marydoll Wed 02-Feb-22 19:24:08

bridie Thanks. I can never really make plans at the moment, that way I am not disappointed!

Fingers crossed I feel up to it, it would be so nice to see faces, new and old. I would offer to organise it, but am afraid of letting people.

TopsyIrene06 Wed 02-Feb-22 19:26:27

bridie54 You chose the dates and we will go from there if you don't mind. Disappointing that there are only a few of us.

End of March/beginning of April I'm away.

I appreciate this very much so thank you.

Jangran99 Thu 03-Feb-22 08:19:53

Count me in,so great to even be thinking of meeting up that I will go with any date chosen.

Marydoll Thu 03-Feb-22 08:32:47

Jan, I was wondering how you were. I was thinking of my cousin in your neck of the woods and you popped into my head. ?

TopsyIrene06 Thu 03-Feb-22 09:13:56

Marydoll I hope now that you are encouraging it, others will follow although, very understandably you may not be able to make it. So fingers crossed.

By the way, I have visited the Concert Hall (Neil Sedaka - fab) but not the cafe - is it near the foyer?

Marydoll Thu 03-Feb-22 09:16:01

It is straight ahead through the double, wooden doors Topsy.

Grandmabatty Thu 03-Feb-22 09:17:37

Count me as a possible, depending on the actual day. It would be lovely to see some of you in the flesh, so as to say ?

Marydoll Thu 03-Feb-22 09:26:44

That would not be a pretty sight in my case, GB! ?

Baggs Thu 03-Feb-22 10:09:04

Jangran99

Count me in,so great to even be thinking of meeting up that I will go with any date chosen.

I've been wondering how you were too, jangran. Good to see you ?

Grandmabatty Thu 03-Feb-22 10:45:18

Marydoll ???

Kalu Thu 03-Feb-22 12:14:38

I’m in too. Really enjoyed our last meet up, Jan. 2019.
Whatever date is decided I should be able to make it. ?

Kalu Thu 03-Feb-22 12:17:09

Grandmabatty

Count me as a possible, depending on the actual day. It would be lovely to see some of you in the flesh, so as to say ?

I will be fully dressed Gb. My birthday suit would need too much ironing!?

Marydoll Thu 03-Feb-22 12:22:03

I wonder if the Edinburgh grans have seen this.

We had better check the Café is open for business.

Grandmabatty Thu 03-Feb-22 16:29:39

Kalu I suspect if we all went nekkid, we would clear John Lewis, the concert hall and Buchanan galleries in one fell swoop! ?

Baggs Thu 03-Feb-22 16:30:53

Grandmabatty

Kalu I suspect if we all went nekkid, we would clear John Lewis, the concert hall and Buchanan galleries in one fell swoop! ?

grin grin

Marydoll Thu 03-Feb-22 16:44:51

and cause a Major Incident!!!

brook2704 Thu 03-Feb-22 18:23:17

I’m in Inverness but would love to come along if I’m free ?

Marydoll Thu 03-Feb-22 19:22:38

We usually make it at 1pm to allow time for those from further afield to get there.
It would be lovely to meet you brook.