Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

East Midlands (ish) meet-up anyone?

(92 Posts)
kittylester Thu 02-May-13 09:17:37

Started to feel really envious of everyone else meeting up so wondered if there was any mileage in trying to organise an East Mids meet-up? Not sure how many people live within striking distance.

We don't even have a 'local' GN in Leicestershire, Notts seem to have two people meeting and Derbyshire doesn't seem much better - so, is there anyone out there who fancies meeting somewhere in the East Mids.

We have fairly good rail links, lots of roads and even an airport! grin

gracesmum Thu 02-May-13 09:58:21

I'd be very happy to, kitty. Trains from Bedford go Nottingham-way or there is the M1 so reasonably easy access for me, depending on where.

granjura Thu 02-May-13 10:07:22

Just come back from Market Harborough - but have fun if you arrange something.

kittylester Thu 02-May-13 12:24:31

Sorry you won't be able to come granjura - would like to have met you. We'll have to meet up another time you are around. smile

granjura Thu 02-May-13 14:25:12

Indeedy - we normally only stay for 1 week, and our time is chocablock full with visiting friends, etc. But I'm sure we could meet for coffee next time around. Mrs Bridge's?

numberplease Thu 02-May-13 17:14:12

Kittylester, 2 or 3 of us on the Lincolnshire Gransnet are tentatively trying to arrange a meetup in Lincoln, but nothing settled as yet, would you fancy coming to Lincoln?

kittylester Fri 03-May-13 07:24:02

number thank you for suggesting that smile. Can we see how feasible that is if we get anymore takers? Maybe there will be somewhere in the middle we can manage?

numberplease Fri 03-May-13 15:50:55

Kittylester, the OP wanted Lincoln particularly, and it is more appealing to me, as I went to the Midlands meetup last October in Birmingham, and although I enjoyed my day out, it was marred by the train travel at each end of it, also the cost. I have had to turn down other meets because the train fares are exhorbitant, so I think that if this meet does come off it will be in Lincoln. I `m sorry if I sound like a spoilsport, don`t mean to, honestly.

specki4eyes Fri 03-May-13 22:53:30

East Midlands airport is where this 'Supergran' lands..so given enough notice and with Mr Ryanair to bring me..I could do it. But I'm on welcoming duty here between mid July and end September.

Tegan Sat 04-May-13 10:21:24

specki; maybe we could arrange an East Midlands meet up when you next land and have a bit of spare time? It would give us something to focus on.

kittylester Sat 04-May-13 14:55:49

Good idea Tegan Any idea when that might be specki

specki4eyes Sat 04-May-13 20:37:03

Its all a bit in the pot at the moment - I'm waiting for certain things to happen which concern both my sons - but it won't be between now and end of May or between mid July to end September. P'raps mid June??

Tegan Sat 04-May-13 21:08:56

No pressure specki; it's just that, if we know when you're flying in, we can throw a net over you as you leave the airport and whisk you off to a local hostelry grin....

kittylester Mon 06-May-13 07:55:55

Bump

specki4eyes Mon 06-May-13 15:06:36

quack quack!!!

kittylester Mon 06-May-13 15:43:59

So, seems like we a group of four - that's good - at least we will be able to talk to everyone!! smile

Any dates in mid June, then? How is East Mids Airport [ish] for you, Gracesmum?

Anyone else interested? smile

granjura Mon 06-May-13 16:02:11

There is a Thistle Hotel right next door to the airport btw. Sorry I won't be able to join you this time.

kittylester Mon 06-May-13 16:14:46

I think there is also a Radisson or something like that. I know of a nice modern pub quite near too but maybe Tegan can come up with something. Hope to see you in Mrs Bridges granjura, next time.

Tegan Mon 06-May-13 16:16:49

Oh that's true. I think my daughter goes swimming there. It's just on the way out as you leave the airport isn't it? Must point out, though that I'm away in the latter part of June [which I keep forgetting about].

granjura Mon 06-May-13 16:34:19

The Thistle is within 2 mins walking distance, just turn left out of airport.

Yes, Mrs Bridges next time. The Chef used to be one of my students, so I always get a nice welcome. Great scones!

specki4eyes Mon 27-May-13 22:38:45

Ok my flight's booked Wednesday 12th June - plane lands at 3.30 so after baggage claim and hire car pick up I could be in the Thistle by 4.30, say? Tea and crumpets anyone?

Tegan Mon 27-May-13 22:59:45

Oh that sounds perfect; one of the few places that I know how to drive to and even at the speed I work I should be finished by then smile.

Tegan Tue 28-May-13 00:23:35

Got it wrong; it's a Wednesday and I don't work at all on that day [but think it rules out a few others].

kittylester Tue 28-May-13 05:39:30

Was just going to pm you specki I look after my grandchildren on Wednesdays and am not definitely not fit for purpose after that. Think it rules out GM too.

The following Tuesday looked to be good - any chance? brew

specki4eyes Tue 28-May-13 09:56:56

Understood! busy lives for us all!
yes could do Tuesday 18th - tho its my last day in Blighty so earlier in the day because later on will be my last chance to be with my darlings until I see them next. How about coffee or a light lunch?