Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

National Meetup anyone interested?

(94 Posts)
glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 14:28:44

I have been nagging hinting to Geraldine about the possiblity of a National Meetup and this is her reply...........

glassortwo I did spot your hint about a national meetup and we'd love to do this.

It's just a question of how/where - but we are keen and we're looking into venues and how best to organise it.

Think it's a brilliant idea and we will make it happen this year - just a question of working out how.

If anyone has any thoughts about what (where) they'd like, we would of course be grateful for suggestions.

<straightens thinking cap>

So thinking caps on everyone. smile

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 15:09:09

Dont want to let it drop off the page so bumping.

Notso Thu 11-Apr-13 15:34:10

I'd be interested in a National Meetup. Wiki has some suggestions about where the centre of the UK is...for a meet-up point?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_points_of_the_United_Kingdom

Coventryish? Needs to be a big enough venue/easy road & rail links/plenty of Premier Inn type accomodation.

Oh! The venue needs to be licenced!

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 15:35:56

notso that goes without saying grin

Notso Thu 11-Apr-13 15:45:40

I've just looked at a map...Coventry is no-where near the centre of the UK! Leeds maybe?

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 15:46:22

I always thought Haltwhistle was the centre of the UK (I had a weird feeling of Deja vu there) Could be cos I'm like a broken record. grin

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 15:49:29

Imagine phoning some venue up and saying

"Excuse me could you fit a few hundred people in please"

Yes certainly, what is the occasion?

"Oh Gransnet are having a national meet up"

Oh how lovely. I am sure we could accommodate you.

"Oh forgot to say, you are licensed aren't you?"

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"hello, young man, hello, hello"

grin

Butty Thu 11-Apr-13 15:58:59

Great idea glass!
I think the first week of October would be a good time grin

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 16:10:00

butty grin I take it that would work in well with travel arrangments?

gilly I am sure any venue will be falling all over themselves to accomodate GN. wink

Movedalot Thu 11-Apr-13 16:27:40

I think the National Motor Museum is quite big and is very near Coventry but close to the motorway network from pretty much everywhere and trains run to the NEC which is just a short taxi ride away. Never been there though.

Grannyeggs Thu 11-Apr-13 17:31:33

I would love us to have a National meet up , yes please!

grannyactivist Thu 11-Apr-13 17:36:17

Yes to a national meet-up as long as plenty of notice is given. smile Needs to be accessible by public transport for the non-drivers. You might find this helpful in deciding a venue: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_points_of_the_United_Kingdom

moomin Thu 11-Apr-13 17:44:52

Can you imagine? Wherever it takes place, the venue will expect a lot (!) of grey haired old ladies ready to chat, nod off, dribble into their tea and muffins. Instead they'll see a riot of wine drinkers, hooting with laughter and general mayhem grin

Sounds good to me!

janeainsworth Thu 11-Apr-13 17:49:02

I would be interested, depending on when it is.
Dare I suggest London as the venue - it is easier to get to from many places than the Midlands or North-west.

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 17:50:01

I like creating mayhem moomin so it sounds good to me too. smile

Movedalot Thu 11-Apr-13 17:53:10

jane London is an awfully long way for some people. OK for me but what about all those who live much further north. It is also likely to be a lot more expensive for those who need to stay overnight.

Gally Thu 11-Apr-13 18:04:12

In that case, perhaps the Londoners amongst us would offer B&B to those from far away??
Edinburgh would be good - lots of venues, plenty of extra 'muriel' activities and I can do B&B grin

janeainsworth Thu 11-Apr-13 18:25:24

Moved the train journey from Newcastle to London is a lot quicker and easier than to Birmingham and I imagine the same applies for anyone coming from Scotland and the West Country too.

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 19:39:57

I dont mind where it is as long as its accessible from the train.
moomin grin I am going to take my slippers with the pom poms.

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 19:42:09

And we have time to book train and hotel early to get decent prices.

matson Thu 11-Apr-13 19:43:18

I,m interested in a meet up , it will depend on the location though. x

moomin Thu 11-Apr-13 21:01:18

Think I'll take my pink hairnet and quilted dressing gown then glass

glassortwo Fri 12-Apr-13 12:20:57

Bump

janthea Fri 12-Apr-13 12:59:00

I'm interested but depends where and when.

Marelli Fri 12-Apr-13 13:55:31

OOH! I've just seen this thread! I shall be there, depending on date. smile