Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Edinburgh Spring coffee and cakes

(79 Posts)
Elegran Fri 05-Apr-13 11:04:45

Plans are afoot for coffee and cakes in Edinburgh for GN members and those thinking of joining - people from other parts of the country are included, of course. We are aiming for the end of April/beginning of May, and hoping the weather is spring-like by them.

If you are interested, please contact Nextstopwaverley - (this post is repeated on the Gransnet Edinburgh forum)

glassortwo Fri 05-Apr-13 12:15:53

elegran dont think I can make it up to Edinburgh at that time but I am sure you will have a great time. smile

Elegran Fri 05-Apr-13 12:34:13

Sorry you can't be there, Glass It is rather close to Absent's goodbye bash, so there may be a few who won't be there so soon. See you next time, perhaps?

Grannygreyhips Fri 05-Apr-13 16:13:25

Hello, new to gransnet and live near Edinburgh. Would love to come o coffee and cake meetp.

Elegran Fri 05-Apr-13 16:17:23

Welcome to Gransnet. I'll let you know when we get a date and place.

Grannygreyhips Fri 05-Apr-13 16:29:01

Thanks. Looking forward to meeting you all

Marelli Fri 05-Apr-13 17:04:25

I'll be there as well, depending on the date. I'm away the last week in April, but I'd love to be there! Looking forward to meeting Grannygreyhips, too! Gally's back today - hopefully she'll be able to come too?

Bags Fri 05-Apr-13 17:15:12

Ditto – to being there depending on the date. Lurve coffee and cake smile

baubles Fri 05-Apr-13 19:31:11

Mmmmm, coffeeandcake is one of my favourite things, I'll be there if I can smile

Grandmanorm Fri 05-Apr-13 20:39:47

I too shall be there and am looking forward to it.

glassortwo Fri 05-Apr-13 20:44:13

baubles stop it!!!! Coffee and walnut is my favourite, and I cant come! sad

numberplease Fri 05-Apr-13 21:19:15

Wish I lived up there, you lot have such interesting meet ups, I LOVE cake!envy

Elegran Sun 07-Apr-13 18:59:23

I have had a quick look at afternoon teas in the centre of town. Some which look good are:-

The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant at the National Gallery, Gardens afternoon tea £14.95 per person served 3-5 pm menu
Or their all-day coffee/tea and home-made traditional baking. Cakes are £2.25 to £4.25, coffee/tea usual sort of prices. Free wifi so anyone thinking of joining GN could be shown the site by an established member who has portable device.

Royal Overseas League Afternoon Tea: £14.95 per person.
2pm - 5pm menu View across Princes St. to Castle.

Henderson's at St John's (crypt under church, West End) Could not find a menu or prices. I've not used this since Henderson's have been there. Could be cramped. website

Gally Mon 08-Apr-13 05:58:42

If you really want to splash out, afternoon tea at Harvey Nichs is to die for. Almost a meal in itself, far superior and cheaper than the the Balmoral. cupcake

Marelli Mon 08-Apr-13 08:11:16

When though? I want to come....!grin

Marelli Mon 08-Apr-13 08:12:28

I think you've had a restless night again, Gally?

Gally Mon 08-Apr-13 08:56:50

Managed to sleep until 5 which is an improvement on 4 yesterday!
Tea at HN is about £22 but you get loads of savouries, a mini salad, cakes, scones and a sweet - far too much, but ok if you forego lunch and dinner! Oh and you get a huge choice of teas/coffees which they replenish, unlike Balmoral where they charge you shock

Elegran Mon 08-Apr-13 09:17:43

Haven't tried the Balmoral so can't compare. Do you think £22 is a bit steep for some people? I lean towards the Overseas club - lovely views.

I have tried Prestonfield House Hotel which is £18. That was amazing, comparable to Harvey Nicks but with easier parking, and gardens, but getting pricy.

Thistledoo Mon 08-Apr-13 09:28:50

Good morning all, love to come, very long journey for me though, would like to do it there and back in the day. Depends of the date as I have granchildren duties on certain days. Look forward to hearing finalised date. smile

Grandmanorm Mon 08-Apr-13 10:12:13

Hello everyone, the good thing about Harvey Nicks is that is is so near the main bus terminal.
I don't have a preference where we go.
Is Hendersons in the St. John's crypt the Hendersons who do that lovely vegetarian wholesome food? I think it was in Hanover Street.
I grew up in Edinburgh but it has changed so much I don't really know it any more.
Oh, and I have an ipad so could bring that with me.

Bags Mon 08-Apr-13 12:22:42

The Balmoral is right next to Waverley Station too. Although I lived in Edinburgh for seven years, I've never been in there so I think that gets my vote, but I'm happy to go elsewhere if others prefer.

soop Mon 08-Apr-13 12:52:10

If I can, I shall do my best to join you lot...#carrotcakeafave

soop Mon 08-Apr-13 12:52:52

or perhaps rice pud...wink

Gally Mon 08-Apr-13 13:13:32

HN is only 5 mins from the station.............! Afternoon Tea at the Balmoral is £25 pp

soop Mon 08-Apr-13 13:31:49

Gulp! That's a bit steep for rice pud...shock