Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Anyone interested in Suffolk Meetup?

(31 Posts)
sunflowersuffolk Fri 05-Apr-13 08:17:12

Hi there Just trying to find GNs who might be interested in a Suffolk meetup, possibly for lunch. I don't think there are too many of us in this area for some reason.

So far I've heard from 2 others on the local forum, and the midway point for us seems to be Ipswich, but depends where anyone else is too of course. I'm sure we could find somewhere on the outskirts, easy to drive to.

We haven't got as far as dates or venue yet. Just hoping we can get some more GNs interested? Please add your name if you might be interested, and we can go from there.

Hope to hear from you.

Smoluski Fri 05-Apr-13 19:43:20

Hiya I am in mid Norfolk nr swaffham

sunflowersuffolk Fri 05-Apr-13 20:43:43

Hi Smoluski, good to hear from a fourth person - we are on a roll ! well now we have one person in Sudbury, one who wants to meet in Woodbridge/Felixstowe/Ipswich area, myself near Saxmundham North Suffolk, and yourself, a fair distance away.

I suppose the best thing is to see if we get any more interest first, and from where - why are there so few G Netters in this area?

NanaGinnyB Fri 05-Apr-13 21:12:11

Hi have just joined. Have been reading threads for a couple of weeks, just plucked up courage to dive in! Live in Norfolk, work full time but if have reasonable notice can take time off. Ipswich area do-able.

sunflowersuffolk Fri 05-Apr-13 21:32:06

Oh that's great NanaGinny - welcome to GN and glad to hear from you. Another one on the list.

sunflowersuffolk Tue 09-Apr-13 21:11:55

Well, it seems a Thursday would probably be best - please correct me if you can't do that day.

We are thinking of lunch, on Ipswich outskirts (for easy parking) Some people have to book time off work, so perhaps we should try and find a date that suits us all. (only 5 of us so if anyone else in Suffolk, Norfolk or Essex etc wants to come, would be great)

Dates I'm free are 18th + 25th April, 2nd + 9th May, or into June, or beyond.

Please let me know whats best for each of you? Then we can decide on venue you all prefer.

So far we have Reddevil3, Farmgal, Smoluski, NanaGinnyB and me.

Reddevil3 Tue 16-Apr-13 00:31:55

25th April's fine with me but not the May dates. Early June OK too smile
Looking forward to meeting everybody.

sunflowersuffolk Tue 16-Apr-13 19:17:57

Thanks Reddevil

what about you others who expressed an interest - any of these dates ok?

celebgran Tue 16-Apr-13 19:39:17

Hi am in Essex Frinton abut 40 miles from Ipswich no one very near me ! Am interested but away beg may busy before June maybe?

NanaGinnyB Tue 16-Apr-13 22:57:08

Will look at work diary and get confirm which are best but probably May or early June best for me.

Thanks Sunflower

NanaGinnyB Tue 16-Apr-13 22:59:08

Oh dear gremlins in the text....meant will look at work diary then confirm which dates are best!! Sorry

sunflowersuffolk Wed 17-Apr-13 19:40:34

Hi everyone
Just pmd anyone who's shown an interest. Trying to fix a date, may be Thursday 6th June at lunchtime? A Thursday seems good for most?

I now find Smoluski seems to have left or changed her name. Please let me know if you're someone else now!!

Any one else interested in joining our first meetup, please get in touch, would be great to see you.

janerowena Mon 22-Apr-13 09:27:03

It's a lovely idea, but too far for me, although I am a grandma I still have a son at school and school runs etc. plus this year all the running him back and forth to exams at strange times. I live between Bury St. Edmunds and Thetford. I'm surprised there aren't more in the area, too.

janerowena Mon 22-Apr-13 11:22:37

If anyone ever cares to come over a bit further northwest of the county, as I live right on the border and Norfolk is visible from my back garden, then a meet-up at some time would be lovely. I have to say, this year is a bit manic, but I'm sure I deserve time off for good behaviour. Also, my son has an exam on the day suggested. School runs still rule my life, but this is the last year and I shall miss them in a masochistic sort of way.

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 13:19:58

Well Thursday 6th June seems to be a goer! The people I haven't heard from are Smoluski (who unfortunately seems to have left GN) or maybe she changed her name? Also NannyG not yet sure if she can make it (really hope so). Some people have mentioned they may bring another person, which would be great.

Janerowena, next time i agree, lets try for a Norfolk/North Suffolk meetup, to be fair to all - we are really spread out across the area.

Has anyone got any suggestions for venue, as I'm struggling?

There's Suffolk Food Hall on edge of Ipswich, I haven't been since they opened the larger restaurant, and the latest reviews on Trip Advisor are saying it's now got quite expensive with small portions. I could always check it out beforehand. Jimmys Farm a bit expensive and could be very noisy.

There's the Black Tiles at Martlesham but that is maybe too far round Ipswich for those coming from Sudbury etc (nearer Woodbridge) I know some in the centre, but not easy driving if you don't know the one way system!

I was trying to find somewhere on south side, but don't know of anywhere good myself. I'll ask friends for ideas, but any suggestions welcomed.

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 14:48:20

Just another idea for venue.

This place has been well recommended by friends recently. Lovely food, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices, and not too hard to find.

http://www.suffolkskicentre.co.uk/restaurant.html. Although it is the restaurant attached to the indoor Ski Centre (Suffolk Leisure Park) it is, I'm told, also a good place for "ladies who lunch!" I've checked and they are licenced.

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 14:49:00

www.suffolkskicentre.co.uk/restaurant.html

numberplease Mon 22-Apr-13 17:16:48

Sunflower, Smoluski had a new job, maybe it`s keeping her a bit busy. Have you pm`d her?

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 17:35:08

Thanks number. Yes I've just tried again to pm, and I still get message unable to deliver not a current nickname. It's a shame as she was prepared to travel a fair way to meet. Lets hope she rejoins with a new name and contacts us.

numberplease Mon 22-Apr-13 21:55:22

That`s strange, she was so enthusiastic about the forum, I hope she`s alright.

sunflowersuffolk Sun 28-Apr-13 15:56:33

Red has suggested the Bildeston Crown. www.thebildestoncrown.com/

Thanks for the suggestion Red looks a lovely pub, bit out of my area but I'm happy to go there.

I haven't had a reply from anyone else, so not sure if this will actually happen! 6th June seems to be a good date for everyone.

There is one person who said they just wanted Ipswich/Woodbridge/Felixstowe triangle, so I will pm them and see if they are happy with Bildeston.

Please everyone tell me which venue you want.

Anyone else want to join us for first Suffolk meetup?

celebgran Sun 28-Apr-13 16:41:16

Hi can still do 6th June think bildeston should be ok just googled it 55 minutes from me apparently I am interested who else? Well. Done red and sunflowers.

Pittcity Mon 29-Apr-13 08:45:12

I am the local editor of the Colchester Gransnet local.
As Ipswich is within easy reach of Colchester it would be great if details of your meetups could be put on the Colchester page. smile

MaggieP Mon 29-Apr-13 09:07:36

Hi
I live in King's Lynn and would be happy to meet sometime on the Suffolk/ Norfolk border but May and June are manic here too, so maybe another meeting in due course?
I have met up with Smoluski twice in Swaffham and KL so can't believe she has gone altogether!

sunflowersuffolk Mon 29-Apr-13 19:34:45

Hi Maggie wow you are a long way up in Norfolk. I think if this meeting on 6th June does actually happen, we should then do something in Norfolk next time, would be great to meet you. I hope Smoluski is ok, I don't have her personal contact details. I know she was starting a new job, but she was keen to meet. Lets hope she returns, even if in a new guise!

Thanks Pittcity - I will put details on Colchester local forum too.

Anyone else who expressed interest, please let me now which venue best for you?