Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Glad to see the back of you

(241 Posts)
absent Thu 14-Feb-13 19:26:41

This is a preliminary enquiry. I should like to invite my Gransnet friends to lunch before I set off to New Zealand, which will be somewhere between 5 and 15 May. I live in Darlington which is relatively easy for North-eastern and east coast Scottish grannies to get to. West coast Scottish grannies would have a longer journey. I think you would have to do a train to Glasgow, then change for Edinburgh before the train to Darlington. Grannies who live in other parts of the country would be hugely welcome too.

I need a sort of ballpark figure so that I can book a place and arrange the catering. I was thinking some time towards the end of April. We can discuss exact dates so that those I particularly cherish don't get left out because of other commitments.

Is anyone up for this? Let me know or glass who is also helping with this plan and trying very hard to keep me in order.

Marelli Thu 14-Feb-13 19:34:43

I would love to be there, absent, depending on the date you choose. I go on holiday on 25th April. (Fingers crossed emoticon). smile

nanaej Thu 14-Feb-13 19:44:21

Hi..just seeing if the get together is open to anyone or just those who have met up before in NE ?

I often visit a pal in York and a trip to Darlington could be tied in with a trip. Also Darlington was my Mam's home town and I went to boarding school there ..so always nice to re-vist. Fully understand if it is more of a get together of people who already know each other.

absent Thu 14-Feb-13 20:09:25

nanaej No, no, no – if you would like to join me, I should be delighted to see you. Revisiting Darlington could be interesting for you.

Marelli That's why I've started posting a bit in advance. So – before 25 April. smile

Marelli Thu 14-Feb-13 20:41:51

Oh that's so good of you, absent! Please don't let it affect anyone else's plans though, if a heap of folk can only make the 26th or something!! grin

Granny23 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:46:36

@Absent* I'd love to come? go? too but 25th April is DGD2's birthday so it is a no-no for me too Marelli. I notice that 23rd is St. George's day - perhaps a good day for a cross border foray?

baubles Thu 14-Feb-13 20:47:14

Me please, I really want to come along. Are you thinking weekend or weekday? I work Monday to Friday but could possibly arrange time off. smilesmile

glassortwo Thu 14-Feb-13 22:11:45

Not that we want to see the back of absent but it would be lovely to see everyone.

janeainsworth Thu 14-Feb-13 22:25:33

I would love to come, I'm away 6th -13th April and 19th April.
Hope you can find a date that's ok for everyone absent, will understand if it has to be when I'm away.

gillybob Thu 14-Feb-13 22:40:20

I would love to be part of your farewell tour Absent if you will have me? smile

glassortwo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:00:20

smile gilly we had already added you in.

Gally Thu 14-Feb-13 23:04:47

Would love to come absent . Not sure of movements so will have to see which date is chosen and try to fit in.

moomin Fri 15-Feb-13 08:32:26

Hope you'll have me too absent? But like Gally will try to fit in with your date of choice (Easter hols = some grandma duties on certain days of the week!)

nanaej Fri 15-Feb-13 09:39:45

Thanks.. will look out for dates smile

harrigran Fri 15-Feb-13 11:31:10

Sounds fun. GD's childminder is on holiday 15th April to 1st May and will mean some babysitting for me. If date fits, I would love to come.

Anne58 Fri 15-Feb-13 17:25:02

Oh I would so love to come, but am afraid that from North Devon it would be a bit too far! Feeling quite envy and a bit sad but every good wish to those that will be there.

Ariadne Fri 15-Feb-13 17:28:52

Oh, I do wish I could come, absent! But, as Phoenix says, we are a long way away. Maybe the Devon lot could meet to raise a glass? Skype? At mine?

JessM Fri 15-Feb-13 18:08:32

yes I would like to come too, but I will be still in Australia, or just landed.

Gally Fri 15-Feb-13 18:45:06

When you off to Oz Jess? I leave on 27th Feb and back early April.

JessM Fri 15-Feb-13 19:07:59

I'm off to NZ on the 8th april and then on to OZ 10 days later. DS1 has managed to move the whole shebang over to Perth (back to perth) where housing is a lot cheaper. Things seem to be falling into place for them. Seems strange that I will probably never go go lovely Manly again - it was a great place to visit - and to entertain the kids during holidays with beaches etc so handy and even a free bus. Housing was terribly expensive though - even for a shabby, cramped, damp rental.
When they were in Perth area before it was amazingly hot - too hot to go out in the day. But by the time i get there it will be cooler and kids are bigger now. Its a milestone when there are no more buggies isnt it?
You must be looking forward to it now? Just over a week. grin

absent Sat 16-Feb-13 10:24:53

It's going to be a bit of a juggle trying to find a date that suits the maximum number of people who would like to come. I am relatively easy about any day in the second half of April. What do people feel about a weekend rather than a weekday? Public transport tends to be a bit unreliable on Sundays, but a Saturday or Sunday would be fine with me.

Butty Sat 16-Feb-13 13:25:46

I would love to join you absent to raise a glass and wish you every happiness in this new adventure, but sadly 'tis too far and too expensive.

It'll be a grand day, and will look forward to hearing ALL about it. smile

absent Sat 16-Feb-13 16:34:01

It looks to me as if we're probably talking either the weekend of 20–21 April or the following Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. It doesn't have to be then – could be earlier. However, please let me know whether that particular set of days works for those who'd like to come.

janeainsworth Sat 16-Feb-13 17:12:31

The Sunday, Monday or Tuesday would be good for me.

Gally Sat 16-Feb-13 17:24:15

20,21, 22 are good for me - so far........