Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

This purchase this morning made me realise just how expensive food is becoming

(54 Posts)
HousePlantQueen Tue 08-Nov-22 12:36:37

OK, so I know it's not a great deal in the scheme of things, but this morning I went into my local Co-op to buy a few things, including some frozen petit pois. I generally buy them in huge bags, don't notice the price in among a supermarket shop, but I had run out. Birds Eye, frozen petit pois 545g so would just about serve a family meal for 4.....£2.69!!! Good grief.

Kate1949 Tue 08-Nov-22 12:42:18

Co-op is very expensive.

HousePlantQueen Tue 08-Nov-22 12:44:30

Yes it is, but this was astonishing

pascal30 Tue 08-Nov-22 12:45:55

I agree the Co-op has become much more expensive than it used to be.... more so than other food shops

Susie42 Tue 08-Nov-22 12:57:57

I too find the Co-op expensive and also the quality of their veggies is variable to say the least.

M0nica Tue 08-Nov-22 13:39:00

Co-op has always been expensive. 3 or 4 years ago a tin of tomatoes was £1.69. I didn't buy them.

Casdon Tue 08-Nov-22 13:47:44

You are right though HousePlantQueen, the rate of inflation on food is 14.6%, with no end in sight.

SueDonim Tue 08-Nov-22 13:51:57

My mum swears by the Coop where she lives. She housebound and doesn’t use the internet (she’s 95 today!) but the Coop take phone orders and deliver for free. She’s always been a good money-manager, though.

I like the Coop’s own stuff as they are committed to fair trade, but I wouldn’t do an entire week’s family shop there.

Having said which, I was in Morrisons yesterday - £1.29 for a tin of Heinz Beans! Other regular items were similarly priced up. I left them on the shelf and will go elsewhere.

HousePlantQueen Tue 08-Nov-22 15:07:32

I don't usually notice as I hurl stuff into my trolley in Aldi or Lidl, but sometimes I stop and blanche at a price. Today was such a day.

NanaAng14 Tue 08-Nov-22 17:39:15

Went to buy hot chocolate powder the other day, it used to be about £2.99 / 3.50 ,.
Same brand - It was £4.50 !!!! I thought it was a mistake ,. But it's the same price
in another supermarket.

nandad Tue 08-Nov-22 17:55:34

Went shopping in Lidl today and butter was 16p dearer than Tesco. Same with some meat products. I usually shop with one eye on the price but I have to admit that with the increases I would probably not buy a lot of the things we see as staples. Worryingly with the level of increases less people will be able to afford to make contributions to Foodbanks.

Hellogirl1 Tue 08-Nov-22 18:02:20

Birdseye fish fingers at Tesco, £7.75 for a pack of 30!

swampy1961 Tue 08-Nov-22 19:55:45

NanaAng14

Went to buy hot chocolate powder the other day, it used to be about £2.99 / 3.50 ,.
Same brand - It was £4.50 !!!! I thought it was a mistake ,. But it's the same price
in another supermarket.

I couldn't buy hot chocolate anywhere the other day (probably been bought by all the firework party people.
So I took a look around Amazon - £8.99 for 1Kg tin - will be looking around for other non-perishables if needed in the future.
The usual shop - before price rises would have been £10.50 or thereabouts for the equivalent weight!! But now around £13.50.
But in general prices are changing everyday - it is
worrying!

Nannagarra Tue 08-Nov-22 21:58:58

SueDonim M & S beans are well worth buying in terms of quality and price, in fact many of their products compare favourably against bigger supermarkets.

grannydarkhair Tue 08-Nov-22 22:07:32

Same bag of peas is £2.45 in Tesco. I buy Tesco’s own petit pois, £1.50 for 1kg. I found there was no difference, taste-wise between the Tesco and the Birds Eye.

Nannarose Tue 08-Nov-22 22:09:15

I do very little supermarket shopping, and the one I mostly use is our local Co-op supermarket about once a month. There are big price differences between Co-op supermarkets and Co-op convenience stores.
However, I only buy leaf tea, porridge oats, dried milk, a few things like baking powder; and yes, frozen peas! Sometimes, if I'm going in anyway, I'll pick up an odd thing I'm low on.
Occasionally, if we are on our way home from somewhere, or in a minor family emergency, I will rush round any old supermarket that is handy. I am always astonished at how much it all costs!

SueDonim Tue 08-Nov-22 22:20:59

Yes, I agree Nannagarra. M&S certainly has some bargains if you look carefully. I got beans there today for 50p, although that’s up from 35p this time last year. Their tinned toms and soups are also good value. M&S butter was cheaper than anywhere else round here as well.

Quizzer Thu 10-Nov-22 12:52:18

I occasionally visit our Co-op because I go there for petrol. When I do, I can’t believe the prices there compared to our only other major supermarket store.

fuseta Thu 10-Nov-22 12:53:21

My cats love Dreamies and last year a pack cost £1. Yesterday I went to buy a pack and the cost had risen to £1.96. That was in Morrisons. No more Dreamies for the cats I'm afraid!

GoldenAge Thu 10-Nov-22 13:28:51

The Co-op has always had different values from other supermarkets - thank goodness. It subscribes seriously to the notion of fair trade. The big problem is that we have all become used to the cheaper prices of the larger retail players who have frankly only paid lip service to the idea of fair trade. We don't pay enough for our food and we happily close our eyes at the thought of people spending x hours a day in fields or factories and earning very little so we can have cheap food on our plates. Why should food be cheap? Why are the people who produce food worth less than those who cut our hair, make our clothes care for us in hospitals? It's always the person at the chalk face who suffers when we hop from one supermarket to another to get a cheaper tin of beans. Capitalism of course.

Geordiegirl1 Thu 10-Nov-22 13:38:26

Here here GoldenAge!

Nannarose Thu 10-Nov-22 13:41:41

I do agree GoldenAge. We commit to spending as much as possible on fair & ethical products, whilst recognising that it doesn't always work out!

However, my Coop supermarket is not expensive, so win-win! I think it possibly because I don't buy much there, and only certain products. I haven't done a price comparison because I rarely go into other supermarkets, but it hasn't gone up much.

Rosina Thu 10-Nov-22 13:45:05

My shopping home delivery bill was just under £100 yesterday. I had a slightly bigger order than usual, with things like laundry items and cat litter, but we have mostly the same basic items delivered each week, and buy fresh fruit and vegetables every few days. Looking back over the orders, the same items cost around £70 - 75 a few months ago.

MibsXX Thu 10-Nov-22 13:59:15

But those very same people who produce food, make clothes etc, are still being paid so poorly they won't be able to afford to eat either soon.....

Bijou Thu 10-Nov-22 14:10:24

Being housebound I can only shop on line. Mainly .Sainsburys. I like fresh fish. However their ‘fresh’ fish is frozen and thawed. So I don’t buy it. For interest this week I looked and two small pieces were £8! Some of their fish is processed in Taiwan!. So I stick to salmon but that is now farmed!
Regarding canned beans etc. Supermarkets own brands are often as good as branded
Because of the drought this summer the pea crop in East Anglia was down hence the high price.