Gransnet forums

House and home

Future Proofing …… the garden, how?

(11 Posts)
Kateykrunch Mon 11-Mar-24 18:55:18

We perhaps wont now down-size our property and it really will be easily adapted should that be necessary. I am concerned how you go about dealing with the front, side and back gardens and patio areas. I have the memory of my Mums lovely garden which over a couple of years (even with our help) soon became an overgrown wilderness. We have some paths that are a bit uneven and not so wide, steps, lots of lawn, hedges, fences and gates. Other than a few tons of pebbles and membrane I cant quite think straight about how you go about planning this part of your property. Have you already done this?, all ideas and tips welcome, thank you.

Jaxjacky Mon 11-Mar-24 19:51:57

Get a gardener is number one, make sure all patios and paths are kept clean, moss free with no straggling plants. I can’t offer more than that sorry, but having recently slipped on a slimy patio, it would be a priority along with getting uneven surfaces/steps made good and safe.

Trouble Mon 11-Mar-24 20:22:55

Agree a gardener would be the best option.

It is also having a pathway that will accommodate a rollator, wheelchair or walking stick.

Plenty of resting places

No lip on the doorstep into the garden if you can and be able to add handgrips

Plants that can easily be controlled with little input or knowledge if you have someone who can help but isn't knowledgeable or is time poor

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Mar-24 20:28:55

Can you afford some major changes?
My mother-in-law moved house at 96 and had a landscape architect in to restyle and terrace the garden.
She has wooden handrails alongside the steps and areas where she can weed from a stool as the next area is higher (much like a raised bed).

I would ask for some ideas, personally.

NotAGran55 Mon 11-Mar-24 20:36:52

Robot lawnmower.

Pantglas2 Mon 11-Mar-24 20:48:35

I get that a gardener would be first choice but I went for the builder… MrPG!

His instinct was to fence, slab, pebble and deck all those years ago and it has made our(his) life so much easier in the last two decades - pots and flowerbeds can provide as much colour as you want/need without too much work as years go by.

Whiff Tue 12-Mar-24 07:03:51

When I moved here after having my bungalow adapted for my needs. Had the back garden flattened the beds where find but needed the paths flatten . They dug out 7" of concrete . Put soak aways along the back for my bungalow to the drain and from the drain down the side of my garage to the fence at the end of my garden . Only had cheapest slabs didn't see the point of fancy.

Before all the work they had to remove the large step outside french windows and kitchen door. Didn't want the step out back outside french doors as I never open them and it made the patio bigger without it perfect for my bench and planters. It was funny when they put in my new kitchen step . I am disabled and use a stick . So they had me in and out to make sure the step was the right high and width that was safe for me.

The old artificial lawn taken up as I suspected it had just been put on the soil . So they dug down and put in hard core packed down granular on top a weed proof membrane and because I fall a waterproof, rot proof with drainage holes 1" padding and 30cm artificial grass fitted onto wooden batons. Carpet fitters fitted the grass.

I had one of the flower beds made a bit bigger

The front garden had pebbles had those removed and same slabs put down the front garden was cambered so water ran into the soak away already on my drive. The front garden already had 2 boarders and 2 beds . They stuck back any lose bricks and put in new edging on the 2 boarders. Took 10 days but my garden doesn't flood. And the artificial grass is great like walking on carpet . I have fallen but thanks to the padding I was fine.

Had new garden gate and also hook it back when in the garden just incase I have an accident and people can get to me . I had removed all the old plants only keep a couple I liked . And stocked it was shrubs and pre annuals .

I made a pond out of a large planter after seeing gardeners world . It's only big enough for 2 water plants and use oxygenation plants . Lots of rocks so birds can have a drink without falling in. Lots of life in the pond . Keep hoping for a frog .

karmalady Tue 12-Mar-24 07:21:09

sedum ground cover instead of grass. Loved by bees, weeds don`t grow through. I have stepping stones made from non slip brown rubber, leads me to a chair underneath a small canopy from rowan and crabapple trees

Minimum varieties for pops of colour. echinacea, few roses and some mounding ground cover geraniums

If anything needs trimming in autumn, hire a gardener for a few hours

Kalu Tue 12-Mar-24 07:53:49

If a regular gardener isn’t possible, look on Pinterest where you will find a selection of garden solutions to suit your needs, once found, hire a gardener/landscape artist to do the work.

Mel1967 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:09:03

We have raised flower beds.
Not so far to bend.
Might be something to think about??

Kateykrunch Tue 12-Mar-24 09:47:35

Lots of great tips and ideas here thank you so much.