Gransnet forums

House and home

Coat made of recycled plastic bottles

(18 Posts)
dogsmother Fri 23-Feb-24 14:46:09

Considering putting in tumble dryer.
I have washed it before and dried it on the washing line but what does everyone think? Should I, could I ?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 23-Feb-24 14:52:40

Doesn’t it have a label with washing instructions?

MaizieD Fri 23-Feb-24 14:55:11

Does it have a care label? They often state whether or not a garment can be tumble dried.

I'd be tempted to give it a whirl on a cool setting, if your drier allows you a choice (mine doesn't). Otherwise I'd leave it to air dry, I doubt if it would take long to dry.

AreWeThereYet Fri 23-Feb-24 15:28:55

This is a link to Newt (clothes retail) about caring for shirts made from recycled plastic bottles - may help. Too long to copy and paste but this is the bit about drying:

Don't tumble dry - put it straight on a hanger to dry

There's no need to tumble dry your shirt, and we actively advise against it as this is harsh on the fabric and could also risk shrinking your shirt. The easiest - and of course, most environmentally friendly - way to dry your shirt is to pop it straight onto a hanger as soon as you've taken it out of the washing machine. If you do this, you'll also never need to iron it.

www.newtlondon.com/blogs/newt-tales/caring-for-your-shirt

Casdon Fri 23-Feb-24 16:19:30

I wouldn’t tumble dry it, it could go in as a coat but come out looking like a plastic bottle again due to the heat, as happens to plastic packaging which comes out shrunken and misshaped when you put it in the dishwasher.

dogsmother Fri 23-Feb-24 16:23:25

It does have a care label but I’m looking for thoughts.
It’s a big heavy (ish) coat really warm and cosy but muddied by the dog. More than likely too much to deal with adequately by other means.
I think I will risk it on a low setting and a careful eye.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Feb-24 16:29:43

How strange you ask for advice you ve been give an answer which says don’t but you’re going to anyway what’s the point in asking 🤣🤣🤣

welbeck Fri 23-Feb-24 16:35:02

indeed. and the situation described, being muddy, explains why you want to wash it, not why you are so set on risking tumble drying.
what does the care label say regarding drying?

Grammaretto Fri 23-Feb-24 16:43:54

DO NOT TUMBLE DRY!!

A beautiful fairisle sweater of mine was put in the washing machine, not by me I should add on a cool wool wash and came out felted and shrunken.

Take no risks is my advice

AreWeThereYet Fri 23-Feb-24 17:29:07

it could go in as a coat but come out looking like a plastic bottle again due to the heat

That made me laugh 😁

dogsmother Sat 24-Feb-24 13:02:08

Thank you for thoughts and particularly good humour.
I washed it and decided not to brave anything more than an air dry in a warm kitchen. So shrunken back to bottle basics have been averted.

Llamedos13 Sat 24-Feb-24 13:08:23

If it’s any help, I just washed a new top made from recycled bottles and bunged it in the dryer along with everything else and it came out just fine.

BlueBelle Sat 24-Feb-24 13:38:17

A coat probably cost a lot more than a top

Llamedos13 Sat 24-Feb-24 14:11:18

For sure, I was just making the point that fabric made from recycled bottles washed very well. I probably wouldn’t have risked drying a coat

dogsmother Sun 25-Feb-24 15:35:06

Ll that’s interesting I may risk it in future as it does muddy easily if I dog walk with it on.

Gwyllt Sun 25-Feb-24 16:27:28

I’m of the “It’s got two chances brigade “ have machine washed all sorts of thing that say hand wash or dry clean only and been really pleased. Must admit have had the occasional disaster

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 25-Feb-24 17:30:12

Me too. Life is too short for hand washing and drip drying as they used to call it. I haven’t been to a dry cleaners for about ten years (when I retired and disposed of the business attire).

Astitchintime Sun 25-Feb-24 17:41:23

I would be tempted to follow the recommended washing instructions if it was an expensive garment. If it was a cheaper garment then I might risk the dryer.
I do have a shirt that is made of recycled plastic bottles and it goes in the dryer on days when we can't peg out the laundry but to be fair we don't have the heat setting too high.