Gransnet forums

House and home

Workmen

(25 Posts)
keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 08:52:32

I'm awaiting the arrival of two young men, to lay a small patio at the end of the garden. Very excited as I have wanted this for a few years, in summer it's by far the nicest place to sit- dappled shade & 'birdy'.
I have tea, coffee, bacon, cake and Kitkats at the ready for the chaps, oh I can hear something!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 09:11:13

They've arrived! It's great to not have to dig and scrabble about in the mud but odd too- it's the first time I've had garden help and as I injured my back last year (stupidly trying to lift a patio) this is the way to go!
One round of teas down alreadygrin

Shelflife Fri 23-Feb-24 09:15:54

keepcalm , your new patio will be perfect for sitting and bird watching - sounds lovely! Keep the tea and busy going for the work men - always a sound idea! You will really appreciate your new seating area as spring is almost here - enjoy .

Shelflife Fri 23-Feb-24 09:17:04

The bacon will be particularly welcome - a bacon say with their tea , perfect!

Shelflife Fri 23-Feb-24 09:17:23

Sandwich 🥪

crazyH Fri 23-Feb-24 09:24:30

That’s exciting - a lovely new patio !! Workmen love their tea - builder’s tea - strong 💪- a fresh hot mug , every 2 hours !!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 09:36:05

Thankyou Shelflife, It's all happening here!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 09:38:25

I'm on it crazyH sunshine

BigBertha1 Fri 23-Feb-24 09:55:53

How exciting and kind of you to provide energy snacks to give power to their elbows. Enjoy watching the lovely patio emerge from the chaos.

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 10:25:19

BigBertha1, actually there are a pair of robins who seem even more excited than me. As soon as the coast is clear they're in for the worms!

Redhead56 Fri 23-Feb-24 10:25:30

Last year we had a space cleared and had a little sun house built best thing we did. It’s our little haven listening to the birds watching the 🐿️ hope you enjoy your sunny little patio.

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Feb-24 10:46:05

crazyH

That’s exciting - a lovely new patio !! Workmen love their tea - builder’s tea - strong 💪- a fresh hot mug , every 2 hours !!

I have a lovely builder who likes his tea weak with no sugar - and I have a carpenter who doesn't drink tea but didn't charge me for a quick "pop-in" type job recently as I apparently make the best coffee. grin

Some time ago there was a thread about workpeople doing jobs and whether or not you'd give them fresh coffee... obviously sometimes it pays off!

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Feb-24 10:46:59

Just wondering - are they listening to FIX Radio ?

biglouis Fri 23-Feb-24 10:50:42

Every time Ive offered workmen tea/coffee etc they have refused politely and said they just wanted to "get on". Perhaps its the presence of another man as I usually ask my nephew to be here unless its a tradesman Im familiar with. Ive always found that self employed tradespeople prefer to finsish the work and get onto the next job.

Nanatoone Fri 23-Feb-24 10:51:47

How exciting! I always keep my workmen supplied with drinks and food (bacon sarnies for sure). It’s nice for them to have customers treat them well. It’s often boiling hot or freezing cold out there. Happy days for all.

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Feb-24 10:59:22

I certainly don't keep offering drinks biglouis - I want them to work whilst I'm paying them - but I do offer when I make a drink for myself.

I do hope your patio is lovely and you are delighted with the result keepcalmandcavachon.

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 13:21:13

Third round of tea, bacon butties gone in a flash & 1/2 a multipack of kitkats down, no radio, one burst tyre on a wheelbarrow and weather holding out. grin
Hardcore down - robins not impressedsad

Norah Fri 23-Feb-24 13:46:32

keepcalmandcavachon

Third round of tea, bacon butties gone in a flash & 1/2 a multipack of kitkats down, no radio, one burst tyre on a wheelbarrow and weather holding out. grin

Lovely update.

I feed everyone who sets to work here, happy workers work well, imo.

Well done you!

lixy Fri 23-Feb-24 13:50:26

We keep the tea and coffee flowing too, and iced drinks last Summer when it was ridiculously hot. Builders appreciate it and said they enjoyed coming here.
I'd certainly rather offer and be refused than have someone thirsty and grumpy.

Hope your patio is a great success. I'm sure the robins can be appeased with a few mealworms!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 23-Feb-24 13:59:30

My workmen only get tea or coffee when I’m making one for myself - and no food!

NotAGran55 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:40:07

I hope you have some ‘before’ and ‘after’ pics for us to see keepcalmandcavachon👍

SeaWoozle Fri 23-Feb-24 14:41:39

keepcalmandcavachon

Wonderful! So glad it's going well for you all. Robins will get over it - maybe some mealworms when it's all done?!

Look forward to seeing some pics, if you're up for that!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 15:32:49

Thanks to every one who has shared my excitement today- last slab is going down, the chaps have worked so hardsmile.
They must all have young strong bladders as no one has asked to use the loo, saw one coming out from behind the gazebo though. Probably admiring my Fatsia japonicawink
Will finish the planting bit then try a photo soon.

AreWeThereYet Fri 23-Feb-24 16:00:26

It's really lovely having a nice place to sit in the garden - enjoy!

We had our fencing replaced last year and offered the fencers cups of coffee/tea a few times a day but most of the time they refused. One of them told me he doesn't drink tea or coffee but 'The lads always tell me I have to say yes to tea or coffee because if you say no once the offers stop coming then they don't get one either' 😄

OurKid1 Fri 23-Feb-24 17:21:45

They're not going to want to go! Looking forward to your photos, especially when the weather is more springlike.