Gransnet forums

House and home

Frothy, man!

(17 Posts)
Boadicea Fri 09-Feb-24 10:25:03

Since I treated myself to a brand new Beko washing machine I am finding that when I put Vanish (or the Tesco one) in the drawer and the recommended dose of liquid detergent in the drum it gets too frothy and leaks out onto the floor.

It's fine without the Vanish and I never had a problem with the ancient machine.

Anyone else had this problem?

rubysong Fri 09-Feb-24 11:49:55

I put my liquid detergent in the drawer and if I was using Vanish I would probably put it in the drum. I don't know if that would make any difference.

maddyone Fri 09-Feb-24 12:02:22

Probably I’d put a bit less detergent in the wash if I was adding Vanish.

LadyGracie Fri 09-Feb-24 15:29:17

I put my liquid detergent in a dosing ball and my Vanish powder in the drum.

Oldnproud Fri 09-Feb-24 15:52:54

I got a Beko last summer.

Not exactly the same problem as yours, because I don't use Vanish, and froth isn't coming out of the machine but the rinsing is terrible, and I still havent worked out exactly why. I didn't realize until my towels started to become like boards when dry.

It was so bad that I even wondered if I was putting the detergent in the wrong drawer, as I was seeing more foam in the rinses than in the wash, but I double-checked and wasn't.

I have dramatically reduced the amount of detergent I put in, and now put it straight into the drum. This has helped, but it still isn't perfect - I have resorted to hand-rinsing my undies after the cycle ends, and the water in the bowl still isn't clear after just one of these hand rinses!

winterwhite Fri 09-Feb-24 16:02:50

I have this rinsing problem with my ageing Bosch, OldnProud. Usu use the Speed programme but even on the normal cycle it isn’t any better. Keep meaning to see whether capsules or powder make a difference never get round to it

Oldnproud Fri 09-Feb-24 17:01:03

winterwhite

I have this rinsing problem with my ageing Bosch, OldnProud. Usu use the Speed programme but even on the normal cycle it isn’t any better. Keep meaning to see whether capsules or powder make a difference never get round to it

Strangely, I think mine is better on the quick cycle than it is on the longer ones, though that might be my imagination.

It also crossed my mind that maybe newer machines are designed to use less water and that is part of the problem, but as yours is an older machine, that ruins that theory.

At the moment, I am still experimenting, hoping to find a 'sweet spot' where there is just enough detergent in to get things clean but where the final rinse leaves things sufficiently detergent-free.

Knitandnatter Fri 09-Feb-24 17:07:18

I can't see that it matters where. you put the detergent or the Vanish but perhaps you could be using a bit too much of them both.
Personally, I have stopped buying Vanish - other supermarket versions are available - and I now only use a little washing soda to my laundry, this breaks down the grime and doesn't coat the innards of the machine with loads of crap.
I don't use fabric softeners for the same reason - they're just animal fats and fake scents which also bung up the machine and make it stink.

petra Fri 09-Feb-24 17:08:17

I think most people put too much powder/ liquid in machines.
It’s the action of the machine that does most of the work.

Oldnproud Fri 09-Feb-24 17:11:34

Boadicea

Since I treated myself to a brand new Beko washing machine I am finding that when I put Vanish (or the Tesco one) in the drawer and the recommended dose of liquid detergent in the drum it gets too frothy and leaks out onto the floor.

It's fine without the Vanish and I never had a problem with the ancient machine.

Anyone else had this problem?

This is a long shot, but I don't suppose you are using concentrated liquid detergent and not reducing the dosage enough, are you - especially on smaller loads, where the amount of detergent should be reduced still further?

AreWeThereYet Fri 09-Feb-24 19:31:03

You may be using too much detergent, and if it's not being rinsed away properly will stay in the machine, making the next wash frothy too. New machines generally have a 'drum clean' wash to clean the machine. You could try that, and see if it still froths up without adding any detergent.

Whiff Fri 09-Feb-24 19:40:06

I moved from a hard water are

Whiff Fri 09-Feb-24 19:44:41

Finger trembled and pressed the button🤬
I moved from a hard water area where I needed to fill my dosage ball full to put in the drum.

First load here a soft water area did what I always did and suds came out of the drawer so stopped machine and put it on spin then started wash again.

Because of the soft water I only need quarter of a dosage ball. I use non bio Persil liquid.

flappergirl Fri 09-Feb-24 22:26:17

Cresta! Totally irrelevant but I've been trying to think of the fizzy drink that used "It's frothy man" in it's TV adverts.

DanniRae Sat 10-Feb-24 07:54:26

I do a hot wash with no detergent every now and again to give the machine a good clear out of soap. This might help?

Ashcombe Sat 10-Feb-24 08:13:02

Well remembered, flappergirl!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQP_ZAu9wzY

Witzend Sat 10-Feb-24 08:21:22

Knitandnatter

I can't see that it matters where. you put the detergent or the Vanish but perhaps you could be using a bit too much of them both.
Personally, I have stopped buying Vanish - other supermarket versions are available - and I now only use a little washing soda to my laundry, this breaks down the grime and doesn't coat the innards of the machine with loads of crap.
I don't use fabric softeners for the same reason - they're just animal fats and fake scents which also bung up the machine and make it stink.

Since reading a few years ago of how both pods and conditioner gum up the machine with gunk, I now just use powder in the drum (and a lot less than I’d once have used) and soda crystals in the drawer.
Laundry is always fine, and smells nice.