Gransnet forums

House and home

Duvets? And getting them laundered?

(13 Posts)
LRavenscroft Wed 30-Nov-22 10:49:33

I have a 13.5 tog double duvet which I had laundered at a town laundry. It came back all bumpy with the stuffing in spirals which can't really be flattened. I have had it about three years now and there are clear washing instructions on it. What do gransnetters advise? Do I buy a new one, then dispose of it say every 2 years or just not get the duvet laundered? Thanks for replies and advise in advance.

kittylester Wed 30-Nov-22 11:09:24

What is it made of? We have feather and down ones which we have had laundered and tumble dried every year and it is fine.

Georgesgran Wed 30-Nov-22 11:09:49

I have a summer 4.5 tog and a winter 9tog duvet which I alternate and always use a sheet between the cover and me. I’ve never needed anything warmer. Both (king size) go easily into my washing machine and dry on the line, before being packed away, until needed again.
They never really need much washing, because of the cover and extra sheet.
I’ve never paid a fortune for a duvet (except my first ever when goose/duck down was a fashion) and am happy to buy new if necessary.
I had the same problem with washable pillows, so I now just buy new ones every year in the January sales.

62Granny Wed 30-Nov-22 11:22:46

Perhaps the laundry is at fault? Is there another one you could use? The one I use said she puts a tennis ball in with duvets and coats when drying them and that stops the filling bunching up like yours. Check if they do this before hand. I think you may have to replace this one.

Esmay Wed 30-Nov-22 11:24:09

After washing with biological powder and bleach - I think that tennis balls popped into the dryer prevent the uneven bunching of the stuffing in duvets .

Up until a few years ago we had our duvets beautifully laundered at the local laundromat and this was the lady's technique .

However , it was so expensive -not worth doing unless they were pure eider feathers .

Since then , I've bought really cheap duvets and thrown them out when my father has soiled them heavily .

LRavenscroft Wed 30-Nov-22 11:50:51

It's a polyester duvet. Some really good advice already. Thank you.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 30-Nov-22 12:13:57

They're cheap enough to buy, particularly in supermarkets.

Shaunwool Wed 30-Nov-22 12:22:33

I used to think that only feather and down duvets would be the best but now i have bought a hollowfibre one and am really happy with it. If i get cold in the winter i will just put a fleece blanket on top

ExDancer Wed 30-Nov-22 12:37:29

My son has a coverless, (yes coverless), washable duvet which he raves about. He doesn't have a drier and its line dried.
I've looked on the w w web but can't see anything that resembles what he describes. He lives at the other end of the country so I haven't seen it and he's very poor at explaining what he's talking about.
I hate changing the cover on our kingsize.

tanith Wed 30-Nov-22 12:42:11

I too have 2 duvets that clip together in the depths of Winter. They would fit into my washing machine separately easily. As there’s only me and in Winter I shower before bed they really don’t need a wash more than once a year.

SueDonim Wed 30-Nov-22 12:55:28

Exdancer is it one of these? www.finebedding.co.uk/pages/night-owl I have them for guest beds, to save changing covers all the time.

choughdancer Wed 30-Nov-22 13:40:28

From the same website as SueDonim posted above, I love these, but use covers on them. www.finebedding.co.uk/collections/home-washable-duvets/products/spundown-duvet

LRavenscroft Wed 30-Nov-22 17:27:20

Hope this post was useful for this time of year. I am now the proud owner of a new duvet 13.5 tog which is not lumpy so sleep should be sound tonight without balls of stuffing around my face. Sleep well and thank you.