Gransnet forums

House and home

smell on plates and glasses after being in dishwasher

(18 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 09-Nov-22 01:22:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mollygo Wed 09-Nov-22 02:35:10

No. I don’t have that problem thankfully, because I’d hate to be without my dishwasher, especially at family gatherings. Does that happen even if you wash without a tablet?

Esmay Wed 09-Nov-22 03:05:28

I also don't like that egg smell and wash any dish which has touched them separately .

I put half a lemon in the cutlery container regularly to deodorise items .
It works for me .

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Nov-22 06:42:38

Yes I put all my used lemons in the dishwasher.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Nov-22 06:54:51

Have you put a dishwasher cleaner through in a long hot programme?

Do you clean your filter regularly?

I am not very good with odd smells, and have never had that problem, I do clean it and make sure I use a hot extended program regularly.

Hetty58 Wed 09-Nov-22 06:56:12

I've noticed it with some dishwasher tablets - and powders - but not others. Find one that you like. I use white vinegar, instead of rinse aid, as I don't like the idea of it remaining on the 'clean' dishes. Make sure that the salt is regularly topped up too.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 09-Nov-22 10:36:04

Have you run a Dishwasher Cleaner through it? It sounds as though your filter or the hose might have residue in it.
Mine never smells and it’s pretty old, but I clean it twice a year and empty and wash the filter every couple of days.
I wouldn’t be without it.

sodapop Wed 09-Nov-22 12:39:07

I use the cleaner as well Oopsadaisy and clean the filter but not as frequently as you do. Never noticed any strange smells.

Norah Wed 09-Nov-22 12:44:15

White vinegar, I think, keeps our dishwasher clean, glasses clear.

Nannagarra Wed 09-Nov-22 21:07:35

Years ago I was advised by a dishwasher engineer to use citric acid on a service programme to eliminate a greasy (not to me eggy) smell.
Unable to purchase the product in the local hardware shop, I enquired at the chemist’s. Yes, they had it but they were most reluctant to sell it to me. There was much whispering and quite a delay before the pharmacist came out to ‘interview’ me about my intentions. Mystified, I explained again.
I was told drug dealers used it to mix and extend their wares which left innocent me stunned. My exposure to drugs amounts to aspirin and paracetamol.
The suggestion that lemons are effective sounds much easier but will I be stopped in the supermarket by security?
🤣

Hetty58 Wed 09-Nov-22 21:13:01

I do clean the filters too (about monthly) but, to me, that strange 'off' smell comes from the detergents themselves - well, some of them.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 10-Nov-22 09:02:46

I use Finish products as the cheaper ones, I found, didn’t clean as well.

Lucca Thu 10-Nov-22 09:20:37

But OP notices this on other peoples dishwashers so it has to be something peculiar to her ?
Lots of advice about how to keep her machine fresh may nor be helpful ? (For me yes! )

Katie59 Thu 10-Nov-22 09:21:09

Mine is always sparkling and fresh using the Finish tablets I’ve tried cheaper products but it’s worth the extra to clean properly, just make sure it’s a full load.

AussieGran59 Sun 13-Nov-22 06:08:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotSpaghetti Sun 13-Nov-22 07:26:04

Wilko and B&Q sell citric acid I think.

M0nica Sun 13-Nov-22 08:27:19

I confess, I have never noticed any smells, but we rarely, if ever have eggs on their own. I use them to make things - four eggs in the Christmas cake yesterday and, very occasionally, scrambled egg with lots of cheese in, but eggs, on their own, fried, boiled, poached etc. never. I really do not like them, and if the yokes are runny, shudder,

I also do not wash saucepans in the dishwasher. They are soaked and washed by hand.

angieb1954 Sat 19-Nov-22 19:58:41

I always rinse plates before putting them in dishwasher to clear excess grease and bits of food. I use fairy platinum tablets with lemon. It does make a difference. No streaks on glass. I also wash saucepan by hand.