Gransnet forums

House and home

Quarry tile restoration

(8 Posts)
Whiff Sun 30-Oct-22 07:34:36

We had a quarry tile floor in our first house . It was so cold we had a carpet with a thick underlay fitted on top of it. So much warmer and safer when we had our daughter.

Shelflife Sat 29-Oct-22 11:03:25

We have a quarry tiled floor , seriously thinking if tiling over it with
a different tile.

Grannyben Sat 29-Oct-22 10:09:02

Morning. Right, for thorough clear they suggest Lithofin KF cement residue remover (it obviously removes more than cement), for protecting the tiles Lithofin KF stain stop, for enhancing the tiles Lithofin KF tile polish and, for regular maintenance Lithofin easy care.
Have a Google, if you have already got them clean you probably wouldn't need the first one and I wouldn't bother with the last one either. Perhaps just the stain stop and the tile polish to get them looking their best.
Lithofin do have a good customer services department who sour help you - tel 01962 732126

Nightsky2 Fri 28-Oct-22 19:28:14

Callistemon21

Oh, my goodness, that took me back.

We had red tiles on the kitchen floor when I was young and my mother used to polish them, on her hands and knees, with Cardinal Red polish.

I think it's still made but it's hard work, Grannyben's suggestion is probably better!

I live in a Victorian house and have red quarry tiles on my kitchen floor. I’ve given up trying to keep them looking nice as they mark so easily. Long gone are the days when I used a polisher on them. I couldn’t have the dogs slipping and sliding on them and DH can be quite messy.

Septimia Fri 28-Oct-22 19:14:33

If they're plain red then I'd use a liquid polish - which is what I and my mum always used in our previous houses. The same brand doesn't seem to be available but Tableau do a red tile liquid shine for less than £10 (online). It does need re-doing at intervals, though.

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Oct-22 19:11:42

Oh, my goodness, that took me back.

We had red tiles on the kitchen floor when I was young and my mother used to polish them, on her hands and knees, with Cardinal Red polish.

I think it's still made but it's hard work, Grannyben's suggestion is probably better!

Grannyben Fri 28-Oct-22 19:05:49

I work in a tile shop and we sell products from a company called Lithofin. Their products are quite expensive but they do have things for sealing and protecting quarry tiles. I will have a look what they suggest tomorrow and get back to you (their online website isn't particularly helpful)

pen50 Fri 28-Oct-22 16:40:56

We have bought a house with a hundred year old quarry tiled hall. They also have a hundred years of dirt and paint sploshes, but I've found that they can be scrubbed to remove the muck. So, what do I do next? What's the best finish to give them? Any advice gratefully received!