Gransnet forums

House and home

Having a house sold from under you & WHAT YOU CAN DO

(9 Posts)
Vintagenonna Thu 27-Oct-22 18:29:16

Caroline Noakes (MP) raised the question of tightening up on the process by which Land Registry can be held to account in the RARE but scary cases of a house being sold by someone who doesn't own it.

This topic was raised on You and Yours (Radio 4 today).

Biggest risks are (a) owning the property outright & (b) letting it out. Some low-lifers stole the identity of the real property owner and got it sold via a local solicitor at a lowish price while property was empty or let. Funds moved into low-lifers account and instantly used to buy gold.

New home owners have done nothing wrong; real owner will have to wait (and wait) to see if he can get his property back. If not will have to try for compensation.

The Land Registry will register your property onto an alert scheme. If anyone tries to sell, attach a charge to it or list a wayleaf etc you get a very rapid heads up.

It used to be free but there is now a small charge (I understand).

Twice a year you get an email telling you there have been no activities listed to your property so there is comfort BUT if you change email address and/or phone numbers you HAVE to let them know.

This crime is rare but among this age group (ahem) there are likely to be those of us who are mortgage free and there may be some who are or will be letting property out.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Oct-22 18:37:16

I’ve listened to all these cases on radio 4.
I know that the BBC is doing all they can to get the power of attorney reversed.

crazyH Thu 27-Oct-22 18:41:02

I heard it too, on Radio 4. I was driving, so just got the gist of it.
Gosh, what a mess ! The innocent real home-owners - feel so sorry for them. It’ll be some time before they get their house back ……
Let’s all be warned - I was planning to rent a room in my house to an Ukranian single lady, but the idea was quickly shot down by my children……

Witzend Fri 28-Oct-22 08:13:39

We have our own and dds’ houses registered with the Land Reg alert scheme, and AFAIK there’s no charge - not yet that I’ve heard of, anyway. We recently had an email telling us about some activity - which we knew about, and was legitimate.

tickingbird Fri 28-Oct-22 08:27:32

I’m registered for property alerts and there’s no charge.

mumofmadboys Fri 28-Oct-22 08:37:01

Crazy H what do you mean about renting a room to a Ukrainian lady? How can that be risky in this context???

Riverwalk Fri 28-Oct-22 09:12:06

Max Hasting, ex Daily Telegraph, had such an experience. A tenant of a property he owned 'sold' the house to an unsuspecting buyer.

The Hastings didn't lose their property but the poor buyer lost over a million pounds!

MawtheMerrier Fri 28-Oct-22 09:30:39

mumofmadboys

Crazy H what do you mean about renting a room to a Ukrainian lady? How can that be risky in this context???

I too was sorry to read this and question the relevance. Ukrainian refugees all over the country are desperately in need of accommodation as the 6 month initial period comes to an end.
Many will end up homeless, housed perhaps in hostels and hotel rooms with their children, possibly hundreds of miles away from where they have got children into schools or nurseries, started ESOL courses, found jobs or formed friendship groups.
confused confused

Vintagenonna Fri 28-Oct-22 12:15:11

I don't want to offend (but probably will - so 'sorry in advance' but a bit of care in offering accommodation isn't a bad idea. A younger relative working around the Border Force made the point that those arriving by boat are effectively locked up to be 'processed' before having their right to stay examined (a year or so on - but that is another story). Most are allowed to remain.
Meanwhile anyone arriving from - or purporting to arrive from Ukraine - is subject to few if any checks. The law of averages suggests that along with desperate and needy folk will be a few chancers. So caution should be exercised for the safety of those coming in (to prevent exploitation by hosts) and the safety of hosts (to prevent exploitation by guests).