Gransnet forums

House and home

Trouble with stairs

(24 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 27-Oct-22 18:17:35

I’m pretty old and having trouble Hoovering my stairs and carrying the Hoover upstairs. My Hoover (actually a Miele) is too heavy for me and I’m scared of it falling and taking me with it. It’s quite new and very efficient so I’m not buying a different one. How do others manage as they age?

rosie1959 Thu 27-Oct-22 18:21:58

Not down to age but I keep a small hoover upstairs
I do the stairs either with hand held gtech or stiff brush and dustpan
I have a Meile and yes it's very heavy I tend to use a gtech more often downstairs

fairfraise Thu 27-Oct-22 18:25:32

The best thing would be to have two hoovers. I can get halfway up stairs using cylinder Dyson plugged into hall socket and then when I do upstairs I can reach as far as stair well from landing. I don't know if yours is cylinder or upright, but cylinders win for me every time!

Charleygirl5 Thu 27-Oct-22 18:26:11

I have a Miele downstairs and a much cheaper vacuum upstairs and for me it works well. I do have a stairlift but any vacuum cleaner is heavy and awkward to carry while manipulating the stairlift.

Forsythia Thu 27-Oct-22 18:27:45

We do the same.1 up and 1 down. That way no accidents. Our Dyson has a small attachment for the stairs and it’s cordless so we don’t trip over the lead.

kircubbin2000 Thu 27-Oct-22 18:44:04

I ask one of the children to do it.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Oct-22 18:47:53

Buy a small handheld. Not Dyson. IMPO.

Cabbie21 Thu 27-Oct-22 19:07:19

I have a lightweight Shark which is easy to carry up and down stairs. I remove the head to add tools to do the stairs.

Franbern Thu 27-Oct-22 19:07:30

When I had stairs and a light cream carpet, and mobility problems, I used the small, light handheld, cordless Gtech machine. Did the job so very well.

HowVeryDareYou Thu 27-Oct-22 19:08:54

I've got a Miele Cat & Dog cylinder vacuum for downstairs, and we bought a cordless Dyson - it is USELESS. It worked for about 2 years and now doesn't work AT ALL. I use a hand brush to do the stairs, then vacuum at the bottom. I've heard that Shark cordless vacuums are meant to be good, so I'll probably get one.

annodomini Thu 27-Oct-22 22:15:55

I have a handheld Gtech Multi which has a variety of heads, one of which makes short work of stairs. I also find a 'rubber' brush good for getting the dust out of the treads. I brush from the top and hoover it up at the bottom. I have bought a cheap vacuum cleaner for upstairs too, as my cordless Bosch is too heavy for me.

Prentice Thu 27-Oct-22 22:47:16

kircubbin2000

I ask one of the children to do it.

The same here.What else did we bring them into this world for? A joke.
You could otherwise have a cleaner call once a fortnight, to do that job and any others that you find difficult.

Hellogirl1 Thu 27-Oct-22 22:55:44

I use my Gtech Multi from the stairlift, going down one step at a time.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Oct-22 23:22:03

MerylStreep

Buy a small handheld. Not Dyson. IMPO.

I do find my old handheld Dyson vacuum cleaner good although the newer animal full-size rechargeable isn't.

The handheld one has an attachment which is good for doing stairs.

Presumably your large Miele has an extendable hose which would reach at least halfway up?

However, if you find it difficult to carry a vacuum cleaner up and downstairs it might be better to invest in a lightweight, full size rechargeable for upstairs.

Better than having an accident.

Serendipity22 Thu 27-Oct-22 23:25:30

If its causing such a worry i would buy another for upstairs, a cheap 1 will do, the upstairs won't need as much hoovering as down. Better to purchase another than struggle with the 1 you have taking it up and down stairs.... smile

Pittcity Fri 28-Oct-22 10:48:41

I have a robot one for upstairs and Henry down as he goes out to the garage/car too. I clean high up and skirtings etc with a feather duster then hoover. Stairs are brushed or I have a small handheld.

ParlorGames Fri 28-Oct-22 10:59:19

I also have a smaller lightweight Shark as well as a Henry. The Shark is perfect for the stairs, which are not carpeted either and generally most of the dust can be collected with a swift mop.

Razzamatazz Fri 28-Oct-22 11:09:46

I agree with having two vacuums when you have stairs. I used to have heavy Henry downstairs and a much lighter cordless Shark upstairs. I did the stairs with a dustpan and brush.

aonk Fri 28-Oct-22 11:23:12

You could either buy a small hand held vacuum for the stairs or invest in a completely new one with a hand held option. I have a Dyson and am very pleased with it but not everyone shares this view. My stairs carpet is traditional with wood at the side of each step so I use a cloth with polish to wipe the wood as I go down backwards. Seems to work for me!

Charleygirl5 Fri 28-Oct-22 12:08:51

If you look on Amazon there are many refurbished vacuums there at various prices, sizes and makes.

I do not have carpets anywhere in my house but 2 bedside rugs. I bought a robot which was fine on either the floor or the rugs but it could not get on or off the rugs without help and when it came to the staircase, that had to be barricaded as it wanted to commit suicide throwing itself down. This was a few years ago and they have improved.

MissAdventure Fri 28-Oct-22 12:10:45

How about a hand held, battery operated little vacuum?

Charleygirl5 Fri 28-Oct-22 13:57:56

I think that is a good idea for stairs alone but unless it had a long handle the OP may well fall over if she was anything like me!
I do not have a carpet on my staircase so it is easy to clean but conversely, the dust is easier to see!

MissAdventure Fri 28-Oct-22 14:04:27

Ah, good point.
I was assuming watermeadow would be able to sit on the stairs and do it.

It ain't necessarily so, though.

biglouis Sat 29-Oct-22 08:58:29

I have my cleaner do it. I cant be assed with housework!