Gransnet forums

House and home

Conservatory/extensi on window covering

(8 Posts)
Loobs Sat 15-Oct-22 09:58:47

I am having an extension/conservatory built shortly, it will be off of the kitchen and used as a dining room. 2 walls are brick with the other 2 glass from about waist height. Because of where it is, I would like some sort of 'window covering' to give a bit of privacy. I have looked at the obvious - the 'dentist/office' blinds or net curtains (nooo) but wondered if anyone had any ideas for something different?

millymouge Sat 15-Oct-22 10:23:17

I have in our conservatory windows and on the patio door a clear film which when applied lets light through but also gives privacy. There are many different types some plain some with patterns. I must say that mine is to stop my dogs running into the windows and also DH walked into them once when they were first put up!!! It does work though. Very easy to apply.

lixy Sat 15-Oct-22 10:27:38

Whatever you do, don't have Venetian blinds - I inherited some here and they are the biggest pain to keep clean!!

M0nica Sat 15-Oct-22 11:10:09

Our kitchen extension has one wall of metal framed windows. I have put up vertical blinds, which I keep open most of the time. When open they are inconspicuous and draw up almost flat against the window embrasure.

We need them, partly for shade in the summer and at night because I find having a huge darkness filled window in a room, sucks all the light out of it.

Aldom Sat 15-Oct-22 11:18:34

These are my blinds. They are in a frame which fits around the window or door. Mine are now eleven years old. I have them in two rooms. I am sorry but I can't remember the name of them. They come in a wide range of colours. I have been very satisfied with them.

Kim19 Sat 15-Oct-22 11:21:22

Same as Monica for me. Had them many years and decidedly happy with them still.

Chestnut Sat 15-Oct-22 11:29:52

I have the clear film which is brilliant as it stops anyone seeing in but you can see out! The film also protects your furnishings from sun damage. This is the company I used but there may be others of course:
alternativetonetcurtains.co.uk/

LizzieDrip Sun 16-Oct-22 09:28:53

I’ve had roller blinds fitted in my conservatory. They are a plain cream, linen look with a sort of Moroccan style bottom edge - one blind per window so we can easily raise and lower individual blinds depending on where the sun is. I’m really pleased with them. I think they look much more stylish than the office type vertical blinds (just my opinion of course). My DD has just had Roman blinds fitted in her conservatory which also look lovely and, again, are easy to control.