Gransnet forums

House and home

Wool or Silk Duvets,Are they worth paying for?

(22 Posts)
avitorl Mon 10-Oct-22 22:42:17

I have been looking at buying either a wool or a silk duvet but they are very expensive. Has anyone got experience of either?
Are they pure luxury or just hype?

SueDonim Mon 10-Oct-22 22:52:47

I have a wool duvet. It is very nice and cosy but the main drawback for me is that it’s very heavy and I struggle to change the cover due to the weight. It’s a large double size, a single would be lighter, of course.

Razzamatazz Mon 10-Oct-22 23:00:01

I've had a wool Devon Duvet for ten years now, still as new, and it's quite light. They do come in different weights for spring/summer, autumn/winter. I love it and definitely think it worth the money. I tried their cheaper competitor and didn't like it as much.

nanna8 Mon 10-Oct-22 23:57:51

One of my regrets in life is that last time I was in China I didn’t get a silk doona. They were half the price, straight from the silk factory. I won’t be going to China again, sadly.

karmalady Tue 11-Oct-22 06:33:32

woolroom all season wool duvets. There are two and they can snap together for very cold winters. In the past I have had silk, too heavy and down, too warm. Then I found wool duvets and never looked back. Wool duvets from the woolroom are very light

BlueBalou Tue 11-Oct-22 06:51:41

I have a Baavet duvet, it’s the best I have ever bought.
I highly recommend it ?

Aldom Tue 11-Oct-22 07:00:47

Razzamatazz I have a Devon Wool mattress topper. Very good quality product. More expensive than some, but worth the extra cost.

Ailidh Tue 11-Oct-22 08:17:49

Wool duvet all the way for me! I bought a single, fairly light weight one, because I can't do to be too hot in bed; I have a handmade woollen bedspread for the colder weather. However, I find the wool duvet itself fine all year round: Always warm enough in winter (although a small dog nests at the side of me) and Never too hot in summer, despite the dog.

Am going to branch into wool pillows next - when there's next a sale on.....

Franbern Tue 11-Oct-22 08:34:52

I have always wanted a silk duvet. Seen them in Ideal Home Exhibitions (when I used to go these). They seemed so very light and lovely - but could never really bring myself to pay out the enormous sum for one of them - and I was totally ignored when on my 'wish list' for several years

I only use a light duvet (4.5 tog) for about four or five months a year (not yet on my bed). For most of the time, I have a very thin coverlet over a flat sheet (that is what I have at present). So, probably not worth the large sum of money for a silk one.

PamelaJ1 Tue 11-Oct-22 09:03:54

We have a wool one that we are very happy with, but I always use a top sheet. I have never understood why it could be a joy to wash and change a duvet cover every week. I know that some say that the duvet doesn’t ‘work’ with a sheet but I find that I am happy with one on. I like to be covered when I’m in bed so the sheet is often enough. Most of you know what I mean!
We don’t use the duvet in summer- only a thinnish American quilted one. Also with a sheet!

karmalady Tue 11-Oct-22 09:34:15

I also like a good top sheet Pamela, loving my linen sheets. I am amazed that they feel cool in summer and warm in winter, cannot see me using my flannelette bedding this year, if not, they will all be donated

My wool duvets are used in various combinations with bedding in my airing cupboard, linen sheets, welsh wool blankets, cellular wool blankets, heavy cotton bedspread and for summer a cotton cellular blanket

I hate the concept of silk production when the silkworms are boiled in their cocoons to release the fibres and yes I do have two silk nighties, I bought silk before it hit me, what happens to silkworms in china

M0nica Tue 11-Oct-22 09:45:48

After much consideration, I have recently bought a duck feather and down one, a really good one, so expensive, but cheaper than wool or silk.

It is wonderfully light and warm, but settles into and round your body so no air pockets.

avitorl Tue 11-Oct-22 10:54:25

I didn't know that is how silk is made,karmalady.Silk is no longer on my wish list!
Wool definitely seems to be the one to go for. I do feel the cold so I need something warm for the winter months.

PinkCosmos Tue 11-Oct-22 11:13:39

I had a wool duvet in the past but found it quite heavy.

I now have a Siberian goose down duvet with a cotton cover. It is light weight but very warm. The king size was about £150 from Amazon. I think it was in the sale.

I had a Siberian goose down duvet previously with a silk cover. The silk ended up fraying at the edges after about five years and all of the down was coming out. I think it was due to me keep holding the corners to shake the feathers up. This is why I chose a cotton cover this time.

Since the menopause I have preferred natural materials. However, my DS has a 'feels like down' duvet which is light and warm but is polyester I think. It was quite a bit cheaper.

Norah Tue 11-Oct-22 11:17:26

It's just personal preference. Not worth it to us, we prefer down.

Witzend Tue 11-Oct-22 11:22:14

Out of interest, how do you clean wool duvets? Our all-seasons button-together down ones go to the laundry once a year, at changeover time, but can you wash the wool ones?

25Avalon Tue 11-Oct-22 11:29:13

Same as M0nica I have a lovely duck down duvet which is warm and light but goose down is said to be better but more expensive.

SueDonim Tue 11-Oct-22 12:00:02

Witzend our will duvet (also a Baavet one) went to the local dry-cleaner to be washed, for £20. They’d never done one before so wouldn’t guarantee the results but it survived the experience!

We have feather allergies in this house so down is out (see what I did there?) for us and also the production can be cruel.

avitorl Tue 11-Oct-22 12:54:57

I couldn't use Down or Feathers because of the possible cruelty involved.
I have found a NZ wool duvet ,Fogarty product,on Dunelm's website which is very reasonably priced so I have ordered one today. It should be here by the weekend.I will report back when I have tried it out.

avitorl Fri 14-Oct-22 12:50:09

My new wool quilt arrived yesterday.It looks quite thin so I had my doubts that it would be warm enough but I tried it on my bed last night and it was fine.I'm still not sure how it will be when the weather gets really cold though,fingers crossed it will be ok.

Lathyrus Fri 14-Oct-22 13:18:17

nanna8

One of my regrets in life is that last time I was in China I didn’t get a silk doona. They were half the price, straight from the silk factory. I won’t be going to China again, sadly.

Did not regret it. I bought one when I was n China. It really doesn’t live up to the hype of warm in winter, cool in Summer and I threw it away after less than a year.

Lathyrus Fri 14-Oct-22 13:18:34

Do not regret it.