Gransnet forums

House and home

Black mold on bathroom tiles.

(22 Posts)
loopyloo Tue 29-Dec-20 12:23:12

Can anyone recommend best way of cleaning black mold off bathroom tiles. Also we have little mosaic ones and the grouting has gone. What's the best product?
Many thanks.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 29-Dec-20 14:47:10

I always use neat bleach on an old toothbrush on tile grouting, but if your grouting has fallen out then you will need to take all of the old grouting out and regrout.
My DD has a hand held steamer that she uses on tile grouting, gets it super clean.

luvlyjubly Tue 29-Dec-20 14:57:21

I just spray with Dettol (or similar) mould spray and leave it overnight and then rinse off in the morning. Easy and does the job. I sometimes repeat it for a second night if all the mould hasn't gone first time.

Whiff Tue 29-Dec-20 15:05:25

Loopyloo you need to re grout. As the black mould will keep coming back. Also water could be getting behind the tiles. All the old grouting needs to come out before re grouting. As no point in putting new grout on top of old. It's a messy job. But worth it.

maytime2 Tue 29-Dec-20 15:09:00

I second what Oopsadaisy does. I do it once a month and it keeps everything in the shower clean including the chrome edges of the glass door. I also use it around the bases of taps and the plug holes in the hand basins and bath. Mould spray also works but this is cheaper.

PamelaJ1 Tue 29-Dec-20 15:24:44

I use mould spray. Used to use bleach but I read somewhere that it doesn’t get as deep as it needs to.

lemongrove Tue 29-Dec-20 15:33:27

Having tried all sorts in the past, I now use Cillit Bang black mould remover.....it works! Just spray on and leave for an hour then use an old toothbrush or small sponge on the area.
Repeat if necessary.I even used this product on the base of the hall curtains when they showed a bit of mould once, all traces just vanished.

cornergran Tue 29-Dec-20 15:35:25

Another fan of the Cillit Bang mould remover here. It works for us.

sodapop Tue 29-Dec-20 15:41:59

Beware of using Cillit Bang in an enclosed space. I tried using it in the shower cubicle
( on the grout not me ) but couldn't breathe, I had to open the window and get some fresh air. I do have asthma although not seriously, never used this product since.

lemongrove Tue 29-Dec-20 15:45:37

Good tip Soda and always a good idea to have fresh air when spraying strong chemicals.
I have no breathing issues, so not a problem, but many do have.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Dec-20 15:50:15

loopylou you may want to try and increase ventilation to help prevent future mould, if that’s possible.

Redhead56 Tue 29-Dec-20 15:56:09

HG mould spray highly recommend usually from B&Q or Amazon. Spray on leave a while then wipe off good for window frames too.

Charleygirl5 Tue 29-Dec-20 16:02:20

I agree, re grouting is your only long term option.

sharon103 Tue 29-Dec-20 16:04:48

Astonish Mould and Mildew Blaster
It just melts the black mould away. If it's really bad, use it twice. Nothing in my opinion work better. No toothbrush scrubbing needed.
it's amazing only costs only £1 in Wilkinsons or bargain shops

NotSpaghetti Tue 29-Dec-20 16:11:15

I was told bleach as it actually kills spores so you won't inhale them.

AGAA4 Tue 29-Dec-20 16:12:56

I use HG mould spray too. Left on for 30 minutes it doesn't need any scrubbing and the mould just rinses away.

bikergran Tue 29-Dec-20 18:35:37

Have tried cillit bang (one in the black bottle) worked brill.

GagaJo Tue 29-Dec-20 19:14:22

Dettol mould and mildew spray. Great stuff.

PaperMonster Tue 29-Dec-20 21:48:25

I use sterilising liquid.

ElizabethGaines Sun 17-Mar-24 03:26:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Georgesgran Sun 17-Mar-24 06:49:14

Reported.

Esmay Sun 17-Mar-24 10:11:09

I use mould spray . .Please wear a mask whatever product you use even if you aren't asthmatic or have breathing problems .
Those spores are deadly .