Gransnet forums

House and home

built in microwave

(7 Posts)
jillyfishy Sun 28-Jun-15 05:57:11

it seems to me that the eye level integrated microwaves on display are too high for practicall use? would appreciate knowing your experiences. i am 5.6 and wall cabinets are supposed to begin at least 50 cm above the worktop. Also any recommendations for simple to use, easy to see controls models?

thanks

absent Sun 28-Jun-15 06:29:34

absentdaughter has a built-in microwave which I think is about level with the top of her oven door – the oven being situated in a standard double oven housing. I have never found it a problem to use, although I have never actually cooked in it, just heated things such as a baby's bottle or defrosted stuff. We are 5 foot 9 inches (me) and 5 foot 10 inches (her) tall, so maybe that little extra height is what makes the difference.

I am renting at the moment and my microwave just sits on one of the already crowded worktops. How I long for my own kitchen in my own house again!

ninathenana Sun 28-Jun-15 09:58:55

My built in microwave is at chest hight (I'm 5' 5")
It's built into a larder unit with a cupboard above and tall one below. I have seen kitchens on TV with micros at what I think would be an awkward/dangerous hight when it comes to removing the hot dishes.

Charleygirl Sun 28-Jun-15 10:17:11

How does one repair/replace a built in microwave? I had my built in dishwasher removed for that reason and I now have a slide in one.

Built in may look neat and tidy but is it safe and practical?

ninathenana Sun 28-Jun-15 12:37:37

Haven't needed to replace it yet, but we have had the door repaired, which was done with no problem.

jeanie99 Thu 02-Jul-15 08:26:26

We have a built in microwave it came with the property when we bought it some years ago, it's sited under the counter.
Not had it repaired but I shouldn't think there would be a problem in taking it out.
As for a wall mounted microwave, that would worry me, the thoughts of taking a hot dish down that's at face level would worry me.

We needed to take out our dishwasher it had a blockage but the guy just took off the kitchen plinth and pulled the machine out it wasn't a problem. Same with the integrated fridge and freezer, they just pulled out.
I certainly couldn't do it but the engineers seem to have the muscle.

Nelliemoser Thu 02-Jul-15 14:26:58

Jillyfishy I have been thinking that for some time. IMO they are appallingly dangerous but you seem to see them time and again in shop displays etc.

Anyone using them is in danger of severely scalding faces etc. They are a complete hazard.
They are way above my head literally. TBH this ought to banned under the health and safety of building regulations. They do not allow electric sockets in bathrooms etc. My microwave is on the worktop but I am lucky to have a roomy kitchen.

Like this one. I reckon that is a most peoples head height. I am biased at 5' 1"
www.rightmove.co.uk/home-ideas/photo.html?homeImageId=28760550&searchTagIds=241