Gransnet forums

House and home

turmeric stains

(15 Posts)
suey Mon 11-May-15 09:11:42

Please does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of turmeric stains on ivory coloured cotton?

Agus Mon 11-May-15 09:29:17

I did manage to get lily stains out with Dr Beckman's Stain Slayer when nothing else worked. Good luck.

glassortwo Mon 11-May-15 09:33:10

suey try to dab with white vinegar then wash.

hildajenniJ Mon 11-May-15 09:35:44

Wash with your normal detergent, treating the stain as you would any other, then put it in the sun to dry. I did this with a tee shirt that I got turmeric stains on the first time I wore it. I laid it flat in the sunshine until it was dry. I read that there is something in sunlight that reacts with, and neutralises turmeric. I had to do it twice, but there is no sign of the stain now. Hope it works for you. Let me know, as I am interested.

suey Mon 11-May-15 10:10:42

Thank you for advice. I will let you know about sunshine when we get any here!

janerowena Mon 11-May-15 10:25:28

I thank you too, I have some on a t-shirt and nothing has completely shifted it so far. The sun is just coming out, I shall go and dampen it!

Elegran Mon 11-May-15 10:43:23

I don't know about Tshirts, but a spray with Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner gets them out of worktops. It might work on cotton. The yellow stain goes brown as it oxydises and then washes off. Perhaps one of the oxygen washing additives would do it?

Elegran Mon 11-May-15 10:51:32

Mr Muscle PLUS oxygen washing additive or Mr Muscle?

Have just googled and found that sun-bleaching is " the degradation of the organic dyes that give rise to the apparent color of the material by sunlight. Such changes occur because the energy of the photons making up the light can oftentimes activate a large host of chemical reactions, particularly in the presence of oxygen (where this process is called photooxidation)"

So maybe added oxygen plus sunlight will increase the effect?

Katek Mon 11-May-15 10:58:45

Fresh lemon juice on stain and leave for half an hour then wash as normal.

Nelliemoser Mon 11-May-15 11:07:54

The oxy bleach powders seem to me to be the best. Lot's of supermarkets sell their own brands for a lot less than the branded products. They work well on the tea stains down the front of ones tops.

suey Sun 17-May-15 09:11:59

Thank you so much, all of you. It looks as if the Dr Backmans will work after one more application. Stains now very pale. had already tried white vinegar and irt didn't touch it. There hasn't been much sun here but I left the cover inside in what sun there was so don't know which worked: probably a combination of both.

aggie Sun 17-May-15 09:33:49

Tomato sauce , curry,and spag bol stains are shifted by washing and hanging in the sun , so it should remove turmeric

Teetime Sun 17-May-15 10:53:48

I have a turmeric dribble down a cream coloured kitchen cabinet that is gradually fading with lots of kitchen cleaner.

suey Mon 25-May-15 17:01:06

The DrBeckmanns worked after 5 applications...and without sun. Thank you all for your suggestions,

ihtareq773 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:59:55

When nothing works, try Dr. Beckman's Stain Slayer to remove turmeric stains. On the other hand you can use white vinegar. Rub with white vinegar then wash. I'm sure turmeric stains will be removed.
www.freshbeak.com/oregons-wild-harvest-turmeric-1x60vcap.html