Gransnet forums

Health

Psychology book recommendation please

(11 Posts)
fancythat Thu 21-Mar-24 07:51:45

I like to know what makes people tick.
Especially if they have had problems in childhood.

I would like to buy a suitable psychology book.
Looked online, but I am baffled by all the options.

I dont want a too in depth book.
And I would like it simple to understand please?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Mar-24 08:05:03

I’m reading “Behave” by Robert Sapolski. He is a neuroscientist so he is looking at human behaviour from that particular standpoint.

It is very readable though, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

fancythat Thu 21-Mar-24 08:28:55

Sounds good. I will take a look. Thanks.

Mogsmaw Thu 21-Mar-24 08:44:21

How Psychology Works
Hardback by Jo Hemmings
We sell this in The Works for £7.
I’d a university lecturer come in for it because one of her students had it and it was better than her recommended text.
It’s a good overview and will help to understand the different terms and conditions.

pascal30 Thu 21-Mar-24 08:44:33

I recommend Phillipa Perry (psychotherapist) as a writer.. Easy to read and very compassionate and insightful

Aveline Thu 21-Mar-24 09:20:23

It's a massive subject. Very hard to completely cover every aspect of human psychology in one book. Apart from anything else it can be highly contentious with different psychologists disagreeing with each other.

BigBertha1 Thu 21-Mar-24 09:27:49

I think the first psychology book I got into some years ago was 'Games People Play' by Eric Berne. Its very readable and you can recognise people you come across quite readily from this.

Most of the ones I read were management and HR related e.g. '7 Habits of Successful People'.

You could look at the free short courses run by the Open University to help you find the answers you seek.

LornaAMB Thu 21-Mar-24 09:35:04

Hi there I read What Women want by Maxine Mei-Fung Chung
Follows 7 people in therapy journeys. Wonderful book

fancythat Thu 21-Mar-24 09:40:04

Aveline

It's a massive subject. Very hard to completely cover every aspect of human psychology in one book. Apart from anything else it can be highly contentious with different psychologists disagreeing with each other.

This is what I am coming to realise. All 3 of your points.

Gwyllt Thu 21-Mar-24 11:36:24

Be very wary of psychology books it’s far too easy to look up a trait and label a person and get preconceived ideas about someone.

twiglet77 Thu 21-Mar-24 11:51:00

The Body Keeps The Score has been recommended to me.