Gransnet forums

Health

Carers after op?

(15 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Mon 18-Mar-24 19:18:21

Hip op soon and daughter will stay 2 nights and come again 2 days later. Son can come too if needed but I wonder would I need carers as there may be days I will be alone.

Astitchintime Mon 18-Mar-24 19:33:00

Is there a specific reason why you think you might need carers? Do you normally cook for yourself, do you live on one level, do you have underlying medical conditions that might impact on your recovery?

PaperMonster Mon 18-Mar-24 19:36:37

My elderly neighbour could have someone coming in twice a day for a fortnight after she’d been in hospital. Someone came out and did an assessment of her when she arrived home. It was something to do with the hospital social worker. Sadly she declined their help.

SueDonim Mon 18-Mar-24 22:19:01

Is it a hip replacement? My mum had hers done in her 80’s. She came from hospital and managed on her own pretty well. She’d been relieved of the terrible pain so in fact she felt better than prior to thr op, when every movement was agony.

Good luck with yours!

Charleygirl5 Mon 18-Mar-24 22:21:11

Forgetting about carers one thing you will need is a decent scarf to assist in getting the operated leg in and out of bed until the muscles are working properly.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Mar-24 22:26:45

If you are elderly and live alone the hospital will provide you with 6weeks care, free of charge if needed. My 87 year old friend had a fall cracked her hip had a new one the next day was offered lots of stuff for around the home on loan and she had carers for a few days maybe a week then felt she didn’t need them any more and cancelled the rest but could have had free care for 5 more weeks
Not sure if this varies from county to county though

Jane43 Mon 18-Mar-24 22:36:49

My husband has had three hip replacement ops, the only thing he needed help with was putting his socks and shoes on. He was able to move around the house including up and down the stairs with the aid of his crutches straight away. What might be useful is a trolley with a tray on top, occupational health can usually provide these, they are useful for transporting a plate of food from one room to another. We do have a shower cubicle in our en suite which he used to shower and he fixed handles in that before his op to help with stability when showering, he couldn’t have climbed into the bath. If you are in reasonably good health you should be fine.

travelsafar Mon 18-Mar-24 22:47:56

After my hip replacement I had carers free of charge coming in once a day to put compression stockings on,wash and cream feet and lower legs as I couldn't take them off or put them on due to not being able to bend leg. Otherwise I managed alone.

annodomini Mon 18-Mar-24 23:41:10

When I came out of hospital after my hip replacement, my teenage DGD stayed with me for the first night but I was self-sufficient for personal care, dressing, making tea and negotiating stairs which I'd been taught by the physios in hospital. My sister arrived to stay and keep an eye on me and encourage me to exercise. I should add that I was just 65 at the time. I don't know how well I would cope 18 years later, if I had to have the replacement replaced.

Greyduster Tue 19-Mar-24 06:56:42

I had a hip replacement two years ago and DD moved in with me for a week to make sure I could manage the stairs and the shower and to help me get in and out of bed (you can buy a leg lifter and a thing to help you put socks on from Amazon). She also accompanied me on short walks outside which was a great help not only for my morale but for the necessary exercise. DS came down to keep an eye on me for another two weeks but I didn’t really need him except for the company and to stretch out my outdoor walking. Good suction grab handles in the shower are a must, I would say.

kareneades Tue 19-Mar-24 07:59:00

The things I found most useful after my hip replacement were: the heightened toilet seat, which gave me handles to push myself up with; grab handles in the shower; a tall stool in the kitchen so I could make and drink my tea without trying to carry it around the house; and a light cross body bag for carrying my things up and down the stairs.

Good luck…it really is a brilliant operation and I felt so much better almost straight away, and still do 14 years later.

kareneades Tue 19-Mar-24 08:02:17

As long as you are well stocked up with your supplies and easy to prepare meals I would think you will manage fine. But do think through in advance any aids or changes that will help.

Greyduster Tue 19-Mar-24 09:30:48

The hospital will probably give you a long handled grabber to bring home, but I bought a few more (from a pound shop - they’ve been brilliant) to dot around the house because you will need them.

kircubbin2000 Tue 19-Mar-24 09:56:44

The OT has ordered some aids. My main worry is that I get up several times at night for toilet.

SueDonim Tue 19-Mar-24 11:35:08

If getting to the loo is a worry they may lend you a commode for nighttime use. I know it’s not a very appealing thought but it’ll only be for a short time. flowers