Gransnet forums

Health

Mammoplasty

(6 Posts)
growstuff Sat 16-Mar-24 10:08:55

Has anybody had this procedure? How did it work out?

I'm now on the list to have my "healthy" breast reduced in size, so it's more like the breast which had cancer removed.

I've been thinking about it for quite some time, since my breast cancer op, and was just wondering if there are any disadvantages or issues I need to know about.

LOUISA1523 Sat 16-Mar-24 10:47:12

Go onto the breastcarenow website forums ....all kinds of discussions around reconstruction/ reduction....I think loss of sensation can be an issue .... there's a 4 year waiting list where I am for this...hope yours is a bit shorter .

Mel1967 Sat 16-Mar-24 11:03:48

Hello,
I had a bilateral breast reduction 2 years ago.
My was privately
Healed quickly.
The only very minor issue I have is no sensation in either nipple.
It’s the best thing I ever did.

growstuff Sat 16-Mar-24 13:04:17

This is NHS. I've been told there will probably be a six month waiting list, but there might be a cancellation.

I've already had about half of one breast removed, so know about loss of sensation, although it's gradually returning after two years.

I was originally told I would have to have a mastectomy, so wouldn't have had a nipple at all. Having one I can't feel very well is, to me, better than not having one at all.

The issue now is that my breasts are very different and I can't find a suitable prosthesis. I used to swim a lot, but that's out of the question now. The first time I went I fell out of my costume and I was mortified, so I never went back. The weight on one side is also causing back and shoulder ache.

Thanks for the tip about looking on the Breastcare Now forums.

Fair2good Sat 16-Mar-24 13:06:47

growstuff good luck for when it happens. Hope you’re not waiting too long.

growstuff Sat 16-Mar-24 13:20:05

Thanks Fair2good.