Gransnet forums

Health

Sciatica getting me down.

(15 Posts)
Purplepixie Thu 14-Mar-24 12:45:26

Ok, I’ll try and keep this short. I had Covid last October then Sciatica started up suddenly when I got up on 9th November last year. I got in touch with the dr and she said that I had sciatica and got me an appointment with a physio. He told me it was sciatica and gave me a list of 10 exercises to do. I did them all and had the blooming thing all over christmas etc. I had a full hysterectomy on 22nd January this year and when I came around that day I noticed that the sciatica had gone. On sunday 10th March I woke up to excruciating pain and the blooming sciatica had come back. It’s only 7 weeks since the hysterectomy operation so I cannot do those stretching exercises just yet. Has anyone else gone through this and what did they do? If it’s still there by monday, I will give my dr a ring but I feel so worn down with everything that has happened in the last few months. I try and walk about 5,000 steps per day now. Any help would be great and thank you for reading.

dogsmother Thu 14-Mar-24 12:53:19

I really feel for you, it’s cruel. The walking is so good trying always to maintain good posture. The key for me is as soon as I feel it starting I am down on the floor doing the exercises for a couple days two or three times a day.
I’m guessing you are still unable due to your surgery. Can you contact your physio/doctor for emergency advice re being post surgery?
I am sorry for you as every time I feel mine going I feels very big black cloud come with it……..But try and remember it does go again and that is why posture and those exercises are worthwhile. I wish you well.

Purplepixie Thu 14-Mar-24 12:56:33

Thank you dogsmother I will phone my dr on monday and try and see the physio again. Need the drs advice about being post surgery.

karmalady Thu 14-Mar-24 13:01:12

If you are a side sleeper then a body pillow will help a lot. It keeps the pelvic area open and takes pressure off the lower back. You have one leg below and one leg and ankle above, leaning on the body pillow. It does not take a long time to get used to that position

Likely to be an inflamed nerve, possibly pinched. Exercises for that are out until your hysterectomy recovery is finished

Your body may have been compensating for the hysterectomy and your position may have been the cause. When you are better, do a couple of simple lower core strengthening exercises

Freya5 Thu 14-Mar-24 13:02:20

At the moment ,post hysterectomy, hot and cold packs, painkillers. Ring GP, or you can self refer to physio, for advice re exercise limitations. Am a sufferer to, so can empathise, infact just recovering from an acute episode.
Hope you get well soon.

Purplepixie Thu 14-Mar-24 13:13:41

Thank you for your kind and helpful words. I am worried about doing myself a mischief after the hysterectomy at the moment. Its getting me down.

LizzieDrip Thu 14-Mar-24 13:39:12

Have you tried some gentle yoga exercises? There are some yoga postures specifically for sciatica - you can find them on YouTube. Good luck🤞

DanniRae Thu 14-Mar-24 14:24:51

Sorry to hear about your sciatic problems ....... I have no advice but wanted to send you these flowers and hope it goes away as soon as possible x

Callistemon21 Thu 14-Mar-24 14:50:44

How are your feet? Good and strong or do you have dropped arches? Might you need orthotics insoles or a lift in one shoe?

Sciatica is horrible and I find it comes and goes. Do be careful what exercises you're doing after your hysterectomy, cautious and gentle as recommended by the physiotherapist. I'm not sure about walking, yoga might be good though.

BigBertha1 Thu 14-Mar-24 15:51:13

purplepixie I am sorry for you I know the pain of sciatica well. I was prescribed Progabalin for my persistent pain- couldn't sit couldn't lie at one point. Its been really helpful. I do have to be careful about sitting for long periods and sitting on hard benches or chairs. Exercise does help if you keep it up. I hope you get some relief.

Primrose53 Thu 14-Mar-24 17:02:49

I get sciatica now an again but the first time I had it, it lasted nearly 6 months. The only thing that helped me was acupuncture. The first time I went I was in so much pain I struggled to get on the therapists couch. The second time she suggested I brought a friend and she inserted the needles with my friend supporting me to stand. By the third session I felt great.

zakouma66 Thu 14-Mar-24 17:07:17

Chronic pain is absolutely miserable. Sympathies. It seems as if you have been through a lot and sometimes the body shouts out a bit.
Acupunture is well worth a try in my humble opinion.

ordinarygirl Thu 14-Mar-24 17:12:09

if you can do it then roll a golf ball up and down on the spot. stand against a wall if it is your back/thigh

ronib Thu 14-Mar-24 17:17:59

Were you given a few exercises to do after your hysterectomy? Maybe in an information pack? Do you have telephone numbers of support nurses?

Purplepixie Fri 15-Mar-24 14:49:02

I have searched through the information pack after the hysterectomy but no exercises were given. I’m going to phone my drs on monday. Thank you everyone for you sound and kind advice.