Gransnet forums

Health

Worried about DH

(17 Posts)
JakeysGranny Wed 13-Mar-24 23:22:43

DH has had blood tests for (and has been diagnosed with) high cholesterol he has agreed to take statins.
They also did a PSA test (high level can indicate prostate cancer) as a matter of course, and he has been referred urgently to the hospital as his test results are high - double his last one. The doctor suspects prostate cancer - I can’t believe they only added this test almost as an aside & now our world has imploded.
I am trying hard to be optimistic, but I’m so worried… any advice welcome

crazyH Wed 13-Mar-24 23:35:10

Sorry to hear about this. The results are not back yet. Be optimistic. And even if it is prostate cancer, there are so many treatments these days. Over the years, we have had a few ‘scares’ in the family but they all turned out to be fine. I understand your fears, but don’t worry yourself sick . All the best !

Redhead56 Wed 13-Mar-24 23:46:29

I agree with crazyH there are some very successful treatments for prostate cancer. That's if is try to be optimistic it can be treated and your DH can put the worry behind him.

sukie Thu 14-Mar-24 00:35:24

It's understandable that you're worried, but try to remain calm. Easier said than done, I know. Two years ago DH's PSA more than doubled and I also worried, though DH was very calm and matter of fact about it. He's in his mid 70's and at that age they are just watching it for now. My brothers have gone through PC treatments and years later they are both doing well. As others have posted, there are many treatment options available. Try not to worry. flowers

BlueBelle Thu 14-Mar-24 03:58:47

My friends husband, a few of weeks ago was put on the 2 week pathway after a test showed a very enlarged prostrate and the doctors expecting it to be cancer he’d also lost a lot of weight
He had the tests and everything is fine it IS just enlarged with no cancer I sincerely hope this is the same outcome for you 💐

Katyj Thu 14-Mar-24 06:47:29

Sorry to hear about your DH I would feel exactly the same. My DH brother has prostate cancer, they’re watching and waiting at the moment he has blood tests every three months.
My DH asked for a prostate test a couple of years ago, the nurse said why would you want one of those ! After much nagging from me he insisted. His PSA was slightly raised, the Dr examined him and said he thought he was okay. He’s having problems again now though with frequent trips to the toilet and has tried two different tablets.
I wish they would send him for further tests to be honest. It does seem a very common problem. I know of five men with prostate cancer all in their 60s/70s that have had treatment and are all fine. I hope your DH is seen quickly and successfully there’s lots of options for treatment. Good luck.

BlueBelle Thu 14-Mar-24 07:40:54

Katyj your husband can and must ask for second opinion and I would urge him to follow it up and not leave it to one GPs tardyiness
It is important My son 54 had heard so many men having prostate cancer that he asked for a complete well man check up Thankfully all was clear and he s been Declared fit and well but I m glad he was sensible without me even suggesting it perhaps his wife did or perhaps he’s just more canny than I ve given him credit for I expected him to be in the ‘if it’s not broke don’t worry brigade’

Katyj Thu 14-Mar-24 08:38:54

Bluebelle Thank you. Your son did well there. My DH like many men is an ostrich and hates going to the Drs at the best of times. Don’t worry I’m on his case. He’s only been taking these new tablets a week, they seem to be helping a bit, but he’ll be going back to the Drs quick sharp if not.

Kate1949 Thu 14-Mar-24 09:59:06

I won't say try not to worry as that's impossible. It's an awful shock. My husband has prostate cancer. He was diagnosed 10 years ago and has been fine since treatment. His PSA level was 19.5. His consultant said he has had men with PSA levels in the hundreds and it hasn't been cancer. He also said that most men will have prostate problems in their lifetime, though not necessarily cancer

DH had a biopsy then 37 consecutive days of radiotherapy. He had no side effects from this. He had MRI scans, bone scans etc. His treatment on the NHS was second to none. Good luck.

katyj How annoying of that nurse! I believe all men should be given a PSA test. Fortunately if my DH has a problem he's quick to get it investigated. My brother in law also has prostate cancer and is ok after treatment.

Oldbat1 Thu 14-Mar-24 11:09:44

DH diagnosed in his 50s with prostate cancer. Results were after very high psa. He had successfulcurative surgery and consultant advised all males in family be checked (all were ok).Some 16yrs later he has a psa test twice a year with telephone call with results. Unfortunately in 2013 he had a bowel cancer diagnosis. He is still here 14years later but is once again on chemo as it won’t ever be cured . I wish your DH well medical science has certainly progressed with different treatments available.

JakeysGranny Thu 14-Mar-24 12:41:20

Thank you all so much for your kind comments, support and encouraging messages of family members having similar issues.
DH has a telephone appointment with the hospital tomorrow (very quick - which is a blessing and slightly alarming at the same time…!). I’m going to listen in and hopefully this call will include a plan of action.
Thanks again and good luck to all in the same situation xxx

Retread Thu 14-Mar-24 12:55:31

Hi, my husband has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer, it was picked up as an "incidental finding " when he had a scan for an unrelated issue. His PSA was low! The surgeons have been very reassuring about it, saying things like "You're going to be around for a long time". He is on hormone treatment for 6 months and then a decision will be taken re possible surgery. The hormone treatment hasn't really affected him much.

Whatever it is, best that it gets seen to - and now it will.

Kate1949 Thu 14-Mar-24 12:58:05

Oh yes Retread my husband had the hormone injections too. I forgot about that.

Retread Thu 14-Mar-24 13:01:02

I also meant to add, the urologist also told my husband to tell all his friends about this link (as there is no screening programme):

prostatecanceruk.org/risk-checker

Salti Thu 14-Mar-24 14:26:48

In his seventies my husband had a very high result with a PSA test. He had a biopsy very quickly which came back clear. He just had a very large prostate. When he was in his 80s and in hospital for something else he suddenly couldn't pass water. He had to have a catheter fitted (with a tap eventually). He did find it quite uncomfortable. About 4 months later when he was recovered from his unrelated problem he went to have laser day surgery to reduce his prostate. While he was in theatre they decided they would have to do the reduction surgically. He came home about 3 days later minus the catheter. Everything was working better than it had for a few years and no more trips to the loo in the night. That was 10 years ago.

Georgesgran Thu 14-Mar-24 14:35:27

A friend (75) has an annual PSA test as his father had prostate cancer. He says there’s often a false positive result, but it’s still worth having the test.

Kate1949 Thu 14-Mar-24 14:46:52

Yes Georgesgran that's what we were told.