Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritic hands and sport

(14 Posts)
BigBertha1 Mon 11-Mar-24 09:32:19

I have increasingly painful arthritic hands but want to continue playing golf. Does anyone else have this problem who plays any other sport e.g. tennis or badminton? Can you tell me if you are going to carry on despite the pain and how you manage it please? All tips and suggestions welcome.

Astitchintime Tue 12-Mar-24 07:57:11

I have arthritic hands too and although I don't play racquet sports golf I am a keen crafter and sewist, and I am determined to continue.

Some days I have little or no pain, I can start a project and work quite productively but after maybe a couple of hours the pain kicks in despite me taking pain medication.

I have noticed that the repetition of a particular 'action' is probably the trigger - rather like RSI perhaps? (I hope that makes sense) and some actions are more painful and problematic than others.

I rest my hands and fingers for a while, often applying a heat pack and doing some exercises to help ease the pain which in the great scheme of things is nothing compared to what some others are suffering.

However, I am determined to carry on sewing and crafting. It puts me in my happy place and I find it very mentally therapeutic.

Marydoll Tue 12-Mar-24 08:09:48

I have R.A and it has badly affected my hands. As a result I can no longer craft nor sew.

There are various things you can do, when not golfing. I wear wrist splints, which enforce rest, heat packs, a TENS machine and 10% prescription Ibuprofen gel.

Marydoll Tue 12-Mar-24 08:11:16

There are also silky fingerless gloves you can buy, which help me.
Obviously the golf club would slip, so probably not for golf sessions.

Lilypops Tue 12-Mar-24 08:14:58

BBertha, I feel your pain , literally, I also play golf through the pain. It’s mainly in my thumb joint on both hands but the left is worse, My GP gives me steroid injections three times a year which helps a lot,
Before I go out to play golf I take two ibuprofen and paracetamol, apply Voltarol cream on the joint then I wear a soft wrist support(Amazon ).
It helps , I also love sewing and knitting so the injections help me carry on with my hobbies, When the injections wear off after 3/4 months it’s very painful again till the next time,
Have you asked your GP about steroid /Cortisone injections ?
I am sure it would help you , if I didn’t have them I would have to give up golf and I really don’t want to have to give in.
Good luck , I hope you get some relief. 👍

CoolCoco Tue 12-Mar-24 08:19:21

You can get arthritic hand support which help restrict the movement of the thumb and cushions the pain. I use one for yoga - not the same but might be useful for golf. I got ,one from Amazon.

Topsy1 Thu 14-Mar-24 20:21:12

I started taking curcumin supplements and since then have no pain from arthritis in my fingers, although they are still crooked! It's high strength turmeric extract.

silverlining48 Thu 14-Mar-24 20:32:31

I have just been told by a consultant that we should only have steroid injections three times in our lives…..
I already have had two , so he said I might want to save the last one for the future.

Marydoll Thu 14-Mar-24 20:41:12

I have lost count of how many I have had in the last 45 years.

Do you mean into joints? I will having one tomorrow at the R.A clinic and hopefully one in my shoulder ASAP.

I used to have steroid injections twice a week for two years for Brittle asthma, in addition to having many in my joints.

Also had a fair number for Carpal tunnel syndrome, while I was waiting for my op.

A bit late for me to worry about it now! 😁

silverlining48 Thu 14-Mar-24 21:26:09

Yes I think into the joint Marydoll and how strange he would say that. Mine woukd have been into my jaw which has locked. I would really like to know.
Hope all goes well tomorrow Marydoll.

Marydoll Thu 14-Mar-24 21:30:47

Thanks, Silverlining. It seems a bit daft to say I am looking forward to it, but I am! I am desperate for some relief.

However, there are times I can't have them, because it is too risky.

silverlining48 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:25:18

I understand that you are looking forward to this Marydoll. Pain is a hard thing to have to deal with.

Lilypops Thu 14-Mar-24 22:38:58

I am having my injection in to the thumb joint tomorrow. It’s a bit more painful for a couple of days then the pain wears off and I get relief for another 3/4 months. Definitely helps me ,

Dogmum2 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:46:10

Hello, i have been wearing the fingerless compression gloves for years. You can get smooth ones or ones that have rubber dots one them that help with grip. If my hands are particularly achy or swollen i wear a soft pair to bed and i find this helps.

I also wear a pair when i walking the dog, beneath my normal gloves with reusable handwarmers shoved inside.

These, in conjunction with the gels and hand exercises - eg touching my thumb with each finger in turn, has helped - i believe - me keeping as much flexibility as i can.