Gransnet forums

Health

Tips of fingers feeling dead

(10 Posts)
Rosiebee Fri 09-Dec-22 10:54:33

Over the last few days, in the mornings, some of my fingers have felt quite dead. About the top third of the finger is white and I have to really rub vigorously to restore the circulation. Takes about 5-10 mins to get the feeling back. I can't find anything on NHS direct. It seems a small problem to bother the doctor with - if you could see one- but I'm just a bit concerned in case it's a symptom of a circulation problem. I'm 70 and take a blood pressure tablet and a statin each day but am otherwise ok. Swim three times a week and generally keep busy. Anyone else get this???

crazyH Fri 09-Dec-22 10:58:47

I’m neither a Doctor or a Nurse, but I’ve heard of something like this and I think it’s called Raynaud’s syndrome. I could be wrong . I’m sure you will get many more replies about this . If it’s bothering you, why not talk to your GP ?

BigBertha1 Fri 09-Dec-22 11:18:57

It does sound like it (I have it myself) and it can also be a side effect of the drugs. Only a doctor can check it out for you. Although it seems a little thing you wouldn't want it to get worse I imagine so I would see if there is a way to get a non urgent phone call or e-mail into the surgery.

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Dec-22 11:19:52

I have Raynauds, had it since my early 20’s, but I wouldn’t presume this is what the OP has.

Grantanow Fri 09-Dec-22 12:23:06

I get it too and I think it's a circulatory problem - not enough blood getting through the capillaries quickly enough. I wear warmer gloves in cold weather but sometimes it's a matter of rubbing the fingers and warming them up near a radiator. I don't have Reynauds as far as I know. It doesn't seem to affect my toes.

M0nica Fri 09-Dec-22 15:48:53

Sounds very much like Raynauds syndrome, which I have and have had most of my adult life. It happens mainly in winter, but isn't necessarily connected with you beng cold. It just needs some trivial very localised change in temperature and your fingers feel cold, go white and when they return, your fingers go blue for a few minutes until the blood in your fingers oxygenates again.

Wearing fingerless gloves indoors helps, as well as making sure you keep your feet warm, I mean that, thick thermal socks help me keep Raynauds at bay. However, like Jaxjacky I suggest that you do mention it to your doctor. to be on the safe side.

Blossoming Fri 09-Dec-22 15:54:40

It could also be peripheral neuropathy due to one of many causes. I really would try and speak to your doctor.

Casdon Fri 09-Dec-22 16:23:15

It may not be this, but I read an article earlier today about a lady who was struggling to keep warm. In the article there’s a thermal image of her hand, which illustrates the effect of the cold on your fingers.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63913985

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Dec-22 17:25:21

It seems a small problem to bother the doctor with

It's definitely something you should ask your GP about.

It could be Raynaud's syndrome (one of my young relatives had this) but it's best to get it checked out just in case.

midgey Fri 09-Dec-22 17:56:49

Sounds like Raynauds but you need to check it out. You need to make sure that you warm up slowly with warm rather than hot ‘anything’. Water, bean bag, hot water bottle etc.