Gransnet forums

Health

A cure for Alzheimer’s?

(13 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Wed 30-Nov-22 06:19:48

From todays Times

Millions of Alzheimer’s patients have been given hope of a cure after a drug was proven to slow the disease for the first time.
Trial results confirmed that lecanemab — delivered as a fortnightly intravenous drip — slowed memory decline by 27 per cent over 18 months.
The new treatment reverses pathological changes in the brain, finding and removing a toxic protein called amyloid that builds up in people with Alzheimer’s disease. The “momentous and historic” study was presented last night at a packed conference of the world’s leading scientists and doctors in San Francisco. Experts said that it was the biggest breakthrough in a generation, marking the “beginning of the end” of Alzheimer’s and offering “real optimism that dementia can be beaten and one day even cured ”.

Sadly this comes too late for many of our loved ones, but if only……?

kittylester Wed 30-Nov-22 07:18:23

Brilliant news, Maw, isn't it.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Nov-22 07:24:14

But there are so many buts I was listening on the radio this morning
It could help some!
It has to be given very very early! ( most people don’t know until it becomes obvious)
I do so hope it’s the breakthrough they are saying I remember about twelve plus years ago when they had a ‘big breakthrough’ but it was only a slowing down I do hope this is different

tanith Wed 30-Nov-22 07:38:31

It’s another step forward and gives hope for a cure in the future.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Nov-22 07:39:07

There can be horrendous side effects according to the item on the News this morning, which include swelling of the brain and a bleed on the brain, so it's not a miracle answer at the moment.

Casdon Wed 30-Nov-22 08:10:07

That is brilliant news, I’m sure that if they’ve found the key to reducing the harmful effects to the brain they will be able to refine the formulation to mitigate the side effects. Fingers crossed for a cure.

Esspee Wed 30-Nov-22 08:19:49

We have drugs in use in this country which slow down the progress of this awful disease dramatically.
I fought for my mother to be treated and it halted the deterioration dramatically. That was 20 years ago!

The problem is that families do not take action against Alzheimer’s early enough. As soon as you see the signs get help.

M0nica Wed 30-Nov-22 08:25:36

Reading the reports, this new discovery is a move in the right direction, but unlikely to produce an effective drug for some years.

The Alzheimer's Society decribed the research as 'monentious', but not a break throug. Research into amyloid tangles them has been going on without success for decades. This is the first substance to act on them, but an effective drug is still a long way away.

henetha Wed 30-Nov-22 09:35:00

Well it's a start, isn't it. And hopefully will lead to better drugs to fight this awful disease. Any progress is welcome, but there's a long road ahead.

M0nica Wed 30-Nov-22 09:45:05

yes, of course it is a start, but only a start, but this drug is being described as a potential cure, in a manner that suggests it will soon be on the market and many people aare getting hopeful and excited about it, will have their hopes dashed when they realise that any practical drug for prescription is probably at least another 5 years away, and probably much longer.

Too often, for all kinds of intractable illnesses we have these 'breakthrough' announcements, that then prove to be, another step forward, but not the answer to the problem. When people have illnesses themsekves or people near to them do, it is unfair to raise their hopes with these dramatic announcements, kbowing dleivery can be decades away.

annsixty Wed 30-Nov-22 10:32:58

I just hope and pray that in the fullness of time this drug works.
It is only after living with someone with this awful condition, in my case my H, that one can appreciate just how awful it is.
After 3 years of being without him I still struggle to properly remember our very happy life together before.
It is still so raw.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 30-Nov-22 10:35:10

Hopefully my daughters and grandchildren’s generation will consider it to be a thing of the past. This will take years to establish as a cure.

benadams201 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:29:31

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.