Gransnet forums

Health

DH changed to Ramipril for BP

(37 Posts)
silverlining48 Fri 25-Nov-22 12:03:00

Morning all. My dh is going to have dental treatment after Christmas and the dentist told him he should stop Amlodipine and prescribed 2.5 mg Ramipril instead.

He needs to have blood tests after a fortnight of taking them and regular tests after. The info leaflet enclosed is full of potential disasters so wonder if anyone here has any experience.

When dh picked up this yesterday the pharmacist asked fir his details, for the doctor which was strange given the dr had prescribed this.

Is Ramipril heavy duty because my dh bp isn’t that high.

Nannan2 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:41:41

Thank goodness i cant take it anyway then as ive already got gum problems too.

Nannan2 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:33:04

My gp prescribed me Amlodipine today as it happens, after struggling to find me one that i can safely take with my other pills & medical problems- i got home to discover(after reading paper inside box) that i should not take them due to aortic stenosis- which he should know about as ive been at that surgery over 10 years! - he also gave me Atorvastatin (high colesterol) when it says i shouldnt as ive got an under active thyroid.-so back to the drawing board i think when i ring the surgery in the morning! Thank goodness they open 3rd saturday of each month.🤷‍♀️

silverlining48 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:14:08

Nexus yes the reason the dentist wanted dh to stop Amlodopine was because of gum issues which would or could affect the implant he will be having done in the new year.

diygran Fri 25-Nov-22 21:20:41

I have been on 10g Ramipril for over 10 years. Used to be on beta blockers. Have blood tests annually with no problems.
As an over 70 but fit otherwise, have just started on a statin.
Heart attacks run in my close family and I hope now to avoid problems.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 25-Nov-22 19:24:43

Sorry, that response was to LadyHonoriaDedlock, not merlotgran.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 25-Nov-22 19:23:48

merlotgran

^NOOOOOOO! Ramipril is EVIL!^.

Irresponsible post. Just because Ramipril didn’t suit you it doesn’t mean it will cause serious side effects for others.

I’ve been taking it for 18 months and feel feel really well on it. The Ramipril cough comes and goes at brief intervals but I hardly notice it.

That’s unnecessarily alarmist. I suspect you were allergic to one of the ingredients in the medication. It’s silly to call something evil just because you had an unusual reaction to it. Many people manage their hypertension with Ramipril with no adverse effects

icanhandthemback Fri 25-Nov-22 18:32:04

Interesting about the cough. I wonder if it can develop even if you've been on it for years. I was going to see the GP (if that is possible these days) because I have a persistent dry cough. I was beginning to wonder if it was asthma or similar.

nexus63 Fri 25-Nov-22 16:38:57

this might be the reason for the change.

Can amlodipine cause gum issues?
Gingival enlargement is one of the side effects associated with certain drugs. Amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker, used as antihypertensive drug has been found associated with gingival hyperplasia. adversely affects oral function, hygiene and aesthetics.

grannysyb Fri 25-Nov-22 16:25:57

When I developed chronic spontaneous urticaria, I read up on it abd discovered that ramipril could be one of the causes, now on losartan.

Aveline Fri 25-Nov-22 16:02:31

I was so happy to read about the dreaded Ramipril cough on a previous GN thread. DH was driving me nuts with it. He spoke to his GP who obligingly changed it to another medication and the irritating cough completely disappeared!

growstuff Fri 25-Nov-22 15:10:50

Joseanne

I'm concerned about the long term use of Ramipril as an ACEI elevating the risk of lung cancer. I was put on it in France in my 40s. My GPs attitude here is to stick with what is working for hypertension in order to avoid strokes.

It's thought it's the other way round and that lung cancer tissue causes an upregulation of ACE2:

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2452014421000625

MrsTagain Fri 25-Nov-22 15:02:47

I was on Ramipril for a while, no obvious side effects, but I had to be taken off it because I already have a low blood platelet count. The hospital doctor discovered it was bringing my platelets right down. I'm now on Losartan (i.e. potassium) and Doxasosin.

merlotgran Fri 25-Nov-22 15:00:40

NOOOOOOO! Ramipril is EVIL!.

Irresponsible post. Just because Ramipril didn’t suit you it doesn’t mean it will cause serious side effects for others.

I’ve been taking it for 18 months and feel feel really well on it. The Ramipril cough comes and goes at brief intervals but I hardly notice it.

Joseanne Fri 25-Nov-22 14:52:41

I'm concerned about the long term use of Ramipril as an ACEI elevating the risk of lung cancer. I was put on it in France in my 40s. My GPs attitude here is to stick with what is working for hypertension in order to avoid strokes.

Septimia Fri 25-Nov-22 14:51:23

My DH has been on Ramipril for about 10 years, with annual blood tests and health reviews.

The only side effects he's had are a runny nose and an intolerance for wine, which is no great hardship as we have never been great wine drinkers (I'd rather have a G&T and he prefers a single malt!)

Retread Fri 25-Nov-22 14:44:03

Some pharmacists can and do prescribe medication:

www.pharmacyregulation.org/education/pharmacist-independent-prescriber

My H has been on Ramipril for years with no side effects.

growstuff Fri 25-Nov-22 14:07:56

silverlining48

Amlodopine is what my dh has been on fir some years without problem but the dentist said swelling of the gums and mouth are a side effect, so that’s the reason fir the temporary change, but now Lady H has had bad facial / mouth swelling after taking Ramipril.
Also still dont understand that he needs blood tests while on it temporarily when no one else has them. All rather confusing but grateful fir the comments. Thanks all.

Yes, some people have had blood tests. Personally, I wouldn't be happy to take any new drug without blood tests.

silverlining48 Fri 25-Nov-22 13:58:47

Amlodopine is what my dh has been on fir some years without problem but the dentist said swelling of the gums and mouth are a side effect, so that’s the reason fir the temporary change, but now Lady H has had bad facial / mouth swelling after taking Ramipril.
Also still dont understand that he needs blood tests while on it temporarily when no one else has them. All rather confusing but grateful fir the comments. Thanks all.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 25-Nov-22 13:50:19

NOOOOOOO! Ramipril is EVIL!

I was taken off it after my whole face swelled up like a balloon one morning. I'd had lesser incidences of swellings around the mouth. I don't know if it reacted with anything I ate but Ramipril was certainly the culprit.

I've been on Losartan potassium ever since.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 25-Nov-22 13:47:26

MrOops has been on Ramipril for years with no problems.

I’ve just been put on Amlodopine, not sure why we have different Meds.

Whiff Fri 25-Nov-22 13:46:21

Have been taking 1 x10mg Ramipril for years never had any problems with it and still taking it. They gave me Amlodipine some years ago can't remember when but 2 years ago had to stop the Amlodipine as I was diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and Amlodipine could make it worse . Still taking 1 x 10 mg Ramipril,plus 50mg Flecainide twice a day and 5 mg Apixaban twice a day . Just had bloods done everything is fine .

Kate1949 Fri 25-Nov-22 13:40:52

I've been on 10mg of Ramipril for years. My husband takes 5mg. No side effects here.

Charleygirl5 Fri 25-Nov-22 13:30:37

I am on the highest dose of Ramipril and have what is known and has been mentioned already as the "Ramipril cough". I have to be extra careful because Ramipril can cause dizziness. I have my kidney function checked annually.

Ilovecheese Fri 25-Nov-22 13:27:31

I have been on Ramipril for years, regular blood tests at GP. No problems. Am now on Ramipril and Anlodipine, still no problems and regular blood tests.

Blossoming Fri 25-Nov-22 13:05:48

Silverlining I’m on seven BP meds and have blood tests every 6 months for electrolytes, liver and kidney function.