Gransnet forums

Health

Mammogram recall - panicking like mad

(25 Posts)
anna7 Sat 12-Nov-22 11:01:15

Just that really. Just had a recall letter this morning after attending a routine mammogram. I had a feeling something was wrong although I can't feel or see any changes. Can anyone offer any reassurance because I am really worried. I have over a week to wait for my appointment

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Nov-22 11:05:03

Saying 'try not to worry' is totally inadequate I know anna; I'd be panicking too. The only reassurance I can offer is that if there is a problem, the sooner it's detected and treatment begins, the better the outcome.

Sending you a BIG (((hug))) flowers.

lixy Sat 12-Nov-22 11:08:06

Oh dear - and, if you're anything like me, you won't be able to think about anything else for the week.
However my rescan, after all the worry, was fine and the recall was just because they 'couldn't quite see' a bit of the original.
I then had to set about losing all the weight I'd put on by comfort eating!
Do hope all goes well for you too. flowers

henetha Sat 12-Nov-22 11:11:38

Trying not to worry is like trying to stop the tide coming in.
But these recalls are often nothing much. I had one once and it was because the image was a bit blurred or something, I was told.
Sending you good wishes and hoping all is well.

anna7 Sat 12-Nov-22 11:11:40

Thank you. I know I should keep a bit of perspective but I'm a terrible worrier anyway. I should have gone in the summer but I was away. At least I didn't leave it any longer I suppose. I thought of putting the routine mammogram off because I get in such a state about it. I'm glad I didn't now.

Whiff Sat 12-Nov-22 11:11:56

Anna it's hard not to worry as your mind is going to the worst it can be. My friend was in state after having a recall letter and she had to have a biopsy turned out to be a cyst. I know it's hard not to worry but try not to unless you have something to worry about. But try and think of it as at least it's been picked up quickly . Or it may just be that the picture wasn't clear enough to analyse. Talk to loved ones about your fear and they will help you even if it's a kiss and cuddle. Wishing you all the best.

Oldbat1 Sat 12-Nov-22 11:14:40

I had a recall a few years ago. Had a more intense mammogram which revealed “something”. I then had a scan. They then with my permission did a punch biopsy which I had to wait for results for about a week. Turns out I have a breast “mouse” which I can’t feel. Biopsy of it showed normal cells. I’ve had three successful mammograms since. Best wishes heading your way.

anna7 Sat 12-Nov-22 11:31:27

Thanks so much everyone. It really does help calm me down.

MiniMoon Sat 12-Nov-22 11:54:35

Oh, I panicked too.
At the hospital, they do try to put you at ease. I had another mammogram which showed up an anomaly. It looked very like a cyst which they confirmed and drained there and then.
The relief was tremendous.
Since then my mammograms have been normal.
Good luck next week.

Lathyrus Sat 12-Nov-22 11:55:21

I don’t know if figures will help🤔

1 in 10 mammograms result in a recall, so it’s not uncommon.

Of those recalls 19 out of 20 are just fine.

anna7 Sat 12-Nov-22 12:07:13

Those figures do help a lot. Thank you x

MissMarpleknows Sat 12-Nov-22 12:11:52

Hello Lathyrus, I sympathise with you; waiting for your recall appointment is very stressful I know. I agree with Smileless2012 … good to think that you’re in the system if you need attention. I was out for lunch with a friend this week. She’d recently had a recall too & was diagnosed with a cyst which was treated on the day. Thinking of you as you wait for your appointment. Do let us know how you get on 💐

MissMarpleknows Sat 12-Nov-22 12:14:19

Oh sorry, that message was for anna7. Apologies to Lathyrus!

crazyH Sat 12-Nov-22 12:17:26

Could it just be that the machine was not working properly that day and you’re not the only one who was recalled ? Just a thought.

Lathyrus Sat 12-Nov-22 12:25:43

MissMarpleknows

Oh sorry, that message was for anna7. Apologies to Lathyrus!

That’s alright. I’ve got a lump on the left. But I know it’s benign 🙂

I do know the horrid feeling though, Anna💐

anna7 Sat 12-Nov-22 13:20:52

Thanks again to everyone. I've just taken the dog for a walk and that has helped a bit. I think he is going to be getting a few long walks over the next week. I'm not good at speaking about my worries to people in 'real life' so it's very reassuring to read your comments and for people to take the time to comment as well x

Grandmabatty Sat 12-Nov-22 13:33:29

I had a recall letter because of areas of calcification in one breast. I googled it which was a bad idea. The nurses at the breast clinic were lovely. Everything was explained thoroughly. It turned out that the areas were benign and nothing to worry about.

Doodledog Sat 12-Nov-22 13:40:51

This happened to me a while ago. I was, like you, very worried (who wouldn't be?) and thinking the worst when I went to the hospital for the follow up. It turned out that all was well, and the consultant said that the mark on the X Ray could have been caused by someone moving in the mobile unit where the test had been taken. The examinations in the hospital were very thorough. I didn't need a biopsy, but I was manually examined both by a breast nurse and a consultant, and had two more mammograms. I was certain when I left that there was nothing wrong. Could you look at it like that? You have a 90% chance that there will be no further appointments, and you will leave reassured that your breasts are healthy.

Good luck flowers

Norah Sat 12-Nov-22 14:00:48

I had a letter after my last mammogram. I worried, of course.

I have very large breasts on a lanky body. Strange - I know. Underside of one folded against the machine, bad image. It truly was nothing - apparently often happens with large amounts of tissue. Or so I was told to reassure.

flowers Well done, dog walking is indeed calming.

Rosiecat Sat 12-Nov-22 14:03:02

Just like others on here I can remember a horrible week waiting for a recall appointment. Again, it was a small cyst which was drained on the spot and no further appointments needed.
I still dread the wait between the scan and the results though

joannapiano Sat 12-Nov-22 14:10:56

I had a recall years ago. It was a lymph node that apparently needed nothing doing to it. Been fine ever since. Some poor ladies were sitting crying in the waiting room, but I was surprisingly calm! Lots of people have recalls.

Granny23 Sat 12-Nov-22 14:18:45

I'd had umpteen cysts drained over a period of years. I went to the mobile unit for a test and was quickly recalled. It transpired that the scan had shown up the scar tissue from the cysts' drainage. After the menopause I never had another cyst.

Meanwhile my sister, who had no cysts, was recalled quickly after a routine scan, because it showed a small lump. Had lump removed, a little chemo and no problems thereafter.

So, a recall can be something or nothing. If cancer is detected, it will be treated promptly, giving every chance of a full recovery.

Goldbeater1 Mon 28-Nov-22 22:57:36

So comforting reading this. I have almost three weeks to wait for my recall and I am - of course - worried. I wouldn’t be reading these posts if I wasn’t! So thank you to all those people who took the trouble to post, you’ve helped me too.

Mogsmaw Mon 28-Nov-22 23:16:33

I too had a recall, desperately tried not to panic. I almost convinced myself.
Turned out to be a pimple with its own blood supply!
Do try to keep calm, the statistics are correct.

Hetty58 Mon 28-Nov-22 23:34:48

I'm not a worrier - so don't have the scans!