Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Silly things we do

(59 Posts)
sandye Wed 21-Apr-21 17:31:42

Does anyone else find themselves doing silly things? I found myself drying my hands to put them back in a sink full of water to pull the plug.

Lollin Wed 21-Apr-21 19:43:45

Sandye I do that too often!

vampirequeen Thu 22-Apr-21 11:23:08

Yesterday I drained the vegs then threw them straight in the bin rather than putting them on plates.

Alima Thu 22-Apr-21 11:27:56

vampirequeen, thank you for that, best laugh I’ve had in ages!

grandmajet Thu 22-Apr-21 11:31:55

I cracked my egg ( to scramble) into my glass of orange juice instead of the little cup where I was to beat it.
I did not drink it!

FannyCornforth Thu 22-Apr-21 11:35:16

I've had socks in one hand, and used tissues in t'other, and put the socks in the toilet.

I've also shut my head in the car door.

And when shaving my legs, when the razor got too hairy, 'removed' the hair with my fingertip shock

I must have hundreds of these.
I am a very stupid person

Severnsider Thu 22-Apr-21 11:44:34

Put some eggs on to boil and forgot about them Two hours later - the pan boiled dry, the eggs had burst and splattered all over the kitchen, cooker top a disaster and the pan was a write off.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 11:49:25

That's nothing vampire I once drained some pasta whilst walking across the kitchen towards the sink.

Peasblossom Thu 22-Apr-21 11:53:04

OH was moaning yesterday about the water bill. I don’t dare tell him I left the tap running for hours.

Fortunately the overflow worked.

Peasblossom Thu 22-Apr-21 11:54:13

It was the hot tap so the gas bill will be colossal too?

Lucca Thu 22-Apr-21 12:41:56

Received my new bank debit card. Signed new one, cut up old one, threw them both in the bin.

Years ago, drove into town, parked in supermarket car park. Wandered roundetc etc, walked home....... only when supposed to go out that evening did I realise car still in car park.

Lucca Thu 22-Apr-21 12:44:02

Had holiday job in an office, filing ....used one of those rubber thimble things? Chatting to colleague while idly playing with stapler i stapled the thimble to my finger.....

Grannynannywanny Thu 22-Apr-21 12:55:42

I had a pile of old bank statements waiting for disposal. My brother insisted on lending me his super duper new shredder to use and gave me the instruction leaflet with it. I realised 10 seconds too late that the first piece of paper I inserted to test it was the instruction leaflet ?

FannyCornforth Thu 22-Apr-21 14:17:07

Gnw grin

GillT57 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:31:33

Eggshell in the jug put into the microwave, raw egg( for scrambled) tipped into the food waste.
Smouldering smell while cooking; decorative scarf dangling in gas hob

eazybee Thu 22-Apr-21 17:06:19

Oh, I am so relieved!!
I made a chocolate cake using gravy browning instead of cocoa.

In an attempt to make my hair look respectable I dried it on rollers, and went round the supermarket with a large green prickly one attached to the back of my jumper.

Teacheranne Thu 22-Apr-21 17:50:55

I once used a guillotine at work and cut through my scarf as well as the paper!

annodomini Thu 22-Apr-21 19:56:40

Severnsider, you are not alone. I have allowed several things to boil dry, including eggs. The smell was disgusting, but not as disgusting a s the stench from burnt-out liver. I may have mentioned before, but not everyone has been here as long as I have, that I carefully prepared to make couscous, measuring out the grains and covering it with water. Much to my surprise, when I returned to serve it, I found that I had used oatmeal. I do not recommend oatmeal couscous.

3dognight Thu 22-Apr-21 21:28:13

As a very young mum I called the fire brigade as I could not turn my gas hob off, eight fire men in breathing equipment turned up, sirens and blue lights .

As a teenager cooking my first Vesta meal with crispy noodles done in hot fat, the frying pan caught fire and I ran with it to find my mum ?
Nobody got hurt but my dads best sports jacket got burnt.

grannyrebel7 Thu 22-Apr-21 21:51:19

Recycling my old phone for Dog's Trust and put my new phone in the envelope and posted it!

Ro60 Fri 23-Apr-21 00:56:32

Many years ago - I hasten to add ? I dropped my daughter off in town before going shopping myself. I noticed she'd left here phone in the car.
I texted her straight away: "You've left your phone"

Gave myself such a fright when the message came through on her phone sat right next to me!

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Apr-21 01:56:00

Ro that really is a classic!
Grannyrebel did you get your phone back?

Ro60 Fri 23-Apr-21 02:18:21

No daughter left her phone in the car! - and I texted it!

Ro60 Fri 23-Apr-21 02:19:09

Dow just re-read!
Doing silly things still. Night night ?

nanna8 Fri 23-Apr-21 02:25:40

I tried to change the tv channel with the fixed line phone during lockdown. That's when I knew it was getting to me...