Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I don't want to scare GC

(28 Posts)
Elrel Sat 29-Oct-22 19:37:18

I am not in the best of health. What is a non-scary way of making sure my 6 year old GC would know what to do if I were taken ill while in sole overnight charge of them?

This had never been on my mind until today. They would have no way of alerting emergency services or family.

Should I show them how to make an emergency call on my landline? Obviously I could put my postcode next to the phone.

Neighbours are a possibility but first the child would need to know how to open the front door, not a big deal. Then it would be a question of which neighbour! No one springs to mind as being likely to be in, in good health and with an acccessible knocker or doorbell.

I’m probably overthinking a (hopefully) remote possibility but would ideas, relevant experiences. THank you in advance.

Luckygirl3 Sat 29-Oct-22 19:50:21

Gosh - there's a thought. I must admit it had never occurred to me. I live in a small close with several close neighbours and I think they would go and find someone. They are bright children and would I think seek help.

I also have an alarm pendant and I guess it would make sense for them to know that. Maybe I will let them do my next test call for me and hope that if it ever needed using in an emergency they would remember this.

MissAdventure Sat 29-Oct-22 20:05:02

I would ask what your grandchild knows, first.

You may be surprised at what children pick up from the tv, books, and probably the internet.

Lathyrus Sat 29-Oct-22 20:09:06

I taught this age group and they are perfectly capable of learning what to do in an emergency. Just tell them your address is next to the phone.

In fact I’m pretty certain your GC knows to phone 999. They even played doing this in the Nursery class!

Hithere Sat 29-Oct-22 20:10:44

How old are they?

I would rethink the overnights if your health do not allow them

Grannynannywanny Sat 29-Oct-22 20:10:57

I know we don’t want young children having unfettered access to mobile phones. But from aged 5 or 6 I allowed my grandchildren supervised access to my mobile for a short period each time they were in my care ( which was at least 2 nights a week) to look at family photos and video clips.

Also during their stay I’d hand them my phone and allow them to make a video call to their parents. If parents were at work they’d call their cousins for a video chat.

I’ve never at anytime said to them this is what you do in an emergency, although that was why I was encouraging them to be able to access their parents on my phone. But I know they are smart enough to do just that if the need arose.

Hithere Sat 29-Oct-22 20:11:08

Health conditions

Hithere Sat 29-Oct-22 20:13:23

Sorry, I read gc is 6.

No, I wouldnt put this much responsibility in a child this young.

I wouldn't have child overnight if I thought an emergency situation may happen

Zoejory Sat 29-Oct-22 20:15:31

Lots of good advice. This reminded me of a little boy who phoned 112, a European emergency number, when his Mum had slipped into a diabetic coma. This number was on his toy ambulance. Luckily this went through to the correct number and all was well.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-53921514

Iam64 Sat 29-Oct-22 20:17:39

Harsh Hithere. Life isn’t really that simple.
My cousin had brain damage after a road traffic accident. He’d short term memory problems and despite good meds, occasionally fitted. He was prime carer for their child as his wife was the wage earner. Their daughter could dial 999 at age 3 and did. The family were matter of fact about it, she’s 3G now with children of her own. They’re a close, secure family

MissAdventure Sat 29-Oct-22 20:17:43

Anyone can have an emergency situation occur.

Grannynannywanny Sat 29-Oct-22 20:18:15

Hithere
No, I wouldnt put this much responsibility in a child this young.

I wouldn't have child overnight if I thought an emergency situation may happen

An emergency situation can happen to anyone, young or old.

Grannynannywanny Sat 29-Oct-22 20:19:18

Snap MissAdventure !

MissAdventure Sat 29-Oct-22 20:20:16

Great minds think alike. smile

Jaxjacky Sat 29-Oct-22 20:23:50

I discussed this situation with my daughter and then we went through our own agreed scenarios with the grandchildren a few years ago when the eldest was about 8. We also covered ‘getting out of the house if there was a fire’, both were not covered at the same time. Sensible plans, the children moved on quickly, playing or whatever they were doing.
Hithere an emergency could occur in fit, well people with a slip or fall.

Callistemon21 Sat 29-Oct-22 20:38:03

Should I show them how to make an emergency call on my landline? Obviously I could put my postcode next to the phone

Yes, that's a good idea, as long as they don't practise like my DGS did, aged 3! He had a nice chat with the operator who then rang back and DD was able to reassure them all was well.

I think making neighbours aware of the possibility would be a good idea too. Choose a couple of neighbours who are helpful and reliable.

Hithere an emergency could occur in fit, well people with a slip or fall
I had an accident when I was alone in the house; I'm sure a 6 year old could have helped by phoning 999 or alerting a neighbour.

Hithere Sat 29-Oct-22 20:39:14

One thing is an emergency- can happen to anyone

Having health reasons for an emergency to happen - different scenario

MissAdventure Sat 29-Oct-22 20:41:48

Not really.
It's going to happen to us all sooner or later.

It's part of life.

BlueBelle Sat 29-Oct-22 20:45:40

There have been instances where very young children have been trained to call 999 unlock doors etc I think it is a very good idea for a child of 5/6/7 to know these things and you can do it in such a fun way
An emergency can happen in any situation a healthy robust person can trip and knock themselves unconscious

A child of that age should know the address and how to use a phone no need to make it frightening it can be fun

SueDonim Sat 29-Oct-22 20:46:51

MissAdventure

Not really.
It's going to happen to us all sooner or later.

It's part of life.

I agree.

Parents themselves could be diabetic or have epilepsy or severe allergies which could render them unconscious - should they not be allowed to have children in case they have a sudden exacerbation of their condition?

crazyH Sat 29-Oct-22 20:51:57

Elrel - that used to be one of my biggest fears, when I had my oldest GC , to stay overnight and I was 15/ 16 years younger. Another fear was that they would be ill and I would be fast asleep. As a result, I hardly had a wink of sleep, when they stayed over.

midgey Sat 29-Oct-22 21:01:02

Small children often ring the emergency services for help when it’s needed. Seems sensible to me to teach any child what to do, fairly easy to do as part of a game. That way it’s not a scary thing in the unlikely case that it has to be done for real.

GagaJo Sat 29-Oct-22 21:49:44

I agree it can happen at any age. I almost choked a few months ago, when I was at home alone with my DGS. One of the thoughts that flashed through my mind was that he'd be stuck in the house with my body if I died. Scary!

FarNorth Sat 29-Oct-22 22:06:38

MissAdventure

I would ask what your grandchild knows, first.

You may be surprised at what children pick up from the tv, books, and probably the internet.

Yes.
My mum was thinking about how to deal with this as she often had my young son overnight.
Then she asked him what he'd do if she fell and couldn't get up. "Phone 999" he replied and she realised that he was right as it would indeed be an emergency, if that had happened.

He knew what to do as I had told him, realising that I, a mum on my own with a child and a baby, could have a sudden illness or injury and he'd need to know what to do.

NanaAng14 Sat 29-Oct-22 22:07:28

Hithere, think the topic is more about a sudden , out of the blue emergency! Can happen, no matter your health.
I used have a card with 3 or 4 important numbers on it, sitting beside the phone - their mums work, other granny , other daughter and when i was looking after them ,they used to 'practice' phoning them . We talked about what to do if I happened to 'fall' and I hope they maybe would realise what to do .
They're much bigger now , but at the time I worried less about them panicking and not knowing what to do .