Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Overnight/ sleep over beds

(42 Posts)
nana5852 Sun 11-Sep-22 10:32:07

I have heard about a bed come sleeping bag. My husband’s brood of 3 under 5’s are descending on us next month with their parents. Flying in so can’t bring any equipment with them. We live in a relatively small house and certainly don’t have beds for five individuals . Even if we did there’s nowhere to put them. I have heard of ‘sleepover’ beds that can be rolled out in these circumstances. Has anyone used such a thing? Any hints or tips would be appreciated and a pointer to sleeping equipment that has been useful would be very helpful. Many thanks.

Ashcombe Tue 13-Sep-22 12:38:38

Callistemon21

Have you got sun loungers padded garden seats ? You could use the long cushions from those with sleeping bags.

I was about to suggest this! Some years ago when my son and his FF at the time unexpectedly wanted to stay a night when we already had a houseful (family from Australia, local family, too), I improvised using lounger cuahions for two children aged 12 and 8 which worked very well.

Grannyjacq1 Tue 13-Sep-22 12:39:41

PS Have just checked - you can still get a wooden top to make it into a coffee table when not needed as a bed.

sazz1 Tue 13-Sep-22 12:44:26

I've just bought a JBzbed 2ft 6 so good for the grand children. Also have a single 3ft fold out chair bed. Not very comfortable to sleep on but with memory foam topper grandchildren find it OK.
Think zbed is the way to go as they don't take up much room when folded up.

missdeke Tue 13-Sep-22 12:45:06

I had readybeds for my grandchildren when they were small and never had a problem. They lasted so well I passed them on when I'd finished with them.
I now have a blow up mattress with an electric pump for my grandson, it also deflates electrically, it's wonderful!!

Cliftonkate Tue 13-Sep-22 12:52:38

I haven’t tried this myself but think it’s a great idea for occasional sleepovers

MooM00 Tue 13-Sep-22 13:28:53

Jacky B those beds are amazing I bought one for my grandson he just loved it. He is now 5 and he still uses it when he has a sleep over

sandelf Tue 13-Sep-22 14:40:08

FaceBook in your area groups - ask if anyone will lend folding beds or camp beds?? Lots of us have these things little used in attics and spare rooms.

Witzend Tue 13-Sep-22 14:49:20

Cliftonkate

I haven’t tried this myself but think it’s a great idea for occasional sleepovers

What a great idea! I will retain that for future reference. At the mo the 2 elder Gdcs (6 and 7) share a very simple sofa bed, no arms, folds down instantly, which we bought decades before, as an occasional spare, long before any thoughts of Gdcs.

I do remember 4 of us (me and a sibling and 2 cousins) sharing a double bed at both ends, when we were all small. And not long ago dd1 sent me a pic of both elder Gdcs plus two of their cousins of similar ages, all curled up asleep together like puppies in a top bunk bed! ?

Witzend Tue 13-Sep-22 14:50:46

Ditto to asking on local FB, or Next Door, if you have that.

Nanamar Tue 13-Sep-22 15:18:54

Air mattresses work out well and are relatively easy to store. Beware of allowing dogs and cats to jump on them, however!

HannahLoisLuke Tue 13-Sep-22 15:24:21

Annaram1

We had an inflatable mattress for visitors. On the first occasion
the couple using it had an unfortunate experience. The large lady managed somehow to sink the mattress to the floor while her slimmer husband was peacefully sleeping on his nicely inflated side, up in the air!

That’s so funny and reminds me of a trip to Niagara Falls a few years ago and we were given the honeymoon suite which had an early water bed. My H got up in the night for the loo and on his return he sat down in his side which sank into the bed frame whilst my side inflated like a balloon with me balanced in the top. He then stood up and the whole bed turned into a stormy sea! I was tossed about as in a ship wreck. I think water beds are much improved these days.
Back to the original question, I think you can get roll up mattress pads which are apparently more comfortable than air beds but I have no experience.

fluttERBY123 Tue 13-Sep-22 16:29:55

If you are plugged into local social media or neighbourhood WhatsApp group ask to borrow some z-beds. Or even inflatables or a couple of yoga mats. They all fold up very small during the day. I am sure neighbours will have things tucked away and unused they would be glad to lend you.

Zetacatty Tue 13-Sep-22 16:34:51

I heard of a brilliant solution. Get 4 pillows tips and sew them together along the long side. Slip a pillow into each pocket. Fold the top one down onto the second one to make a raised head pillow. Voila. Instant bed. Easily washed and stored.

Zetacatty Tue 13-Sep-22 16:35:58

Trouble is - you’d need 12 pillows!

GrandmasueUK Tue 13-Sep-22 17:19:26

I bought camping bunk beds for Christmas, which fold down and fit into a bag. I also got 2 camping mats and duvets. The boys, aged 5 and 7. loved them and used them as a den for part of the time.
This is my 6'1" OH trying it out. He said it was really comfortable with plenty room. I think the boys could have even topped and tailed in just one of the beds.

V3ra Tue 13-Sep-22 17:56:15

We spent one August Bank Holiday weekend at my sister's house when my two sons were junior school age. My sister has two sons slightly younger than mine.
There weren't enough beds for everyone so we took a tent and the four boys camped out in the garden.
My brother-in-law went out to check they were ok and came back laughing.
He'd overheard my elder son asking the others,
"Right lads, what's it to be? Go to sleep or a have a farting contest?"
?