Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Grandad looking to find toddler daygroups in DY3 area.

(38 Posts)
A23867184 Sat 05-Aug-23 08:42:14

Hi all, I'm a Grandad and early in 2024, will be going part time from work. To help our Daughter out with childcare cost, I will be entertaining our little bundle of joy on Fridays. She will be about 18 months by then, and I am trying to find a group to attend on Fridays that will enable her to have some interaction with other toddlers, but not necessarily in a nursery environment. Any help would be appreciated.

silverlining48 Sat 05-Aug-23 09:01:27

There will be something going on in your area, but perhaps initially just enjoy spending time with your gd at home, out for walks, parks etc . My gd is a teenager now but wclesrly remember her joy in running through autumn leaves listening to the crunching. Simple things.

She will still be very young for groups and you both need to get used to each other. Depending on age it’s tiring but such joy too. Have fun.

lemsip Sat 05-Aug-23 09:16:00

Yes , I second silverlining48 advice.
local park let her toddle along through leaves and on grass then what about the swings..

Georgesgran Sat 05-Aug-23 09:22:10

Try Googling’Playgroups near me’ and there will be links to various other options. As you are only having your DGD one day a week perhaps just do something on a 1:1 basis, if she’s interacting with her peers on other days? As you’re in The Midlands (?) I’m sure there are parks to visit, ducks to feed and most areas have soft play centres, often in shopping malls.
Don’t forget to ask your DD’s opinion of what she thinks is appropriate.

Georgesgran Sat 05-Aug-23 09:31:17

Don’t forget the toddler will also need a nap in a safe place, so you need to factor that in to your activities.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 05-Aug-23 09:50:46

A visit to the library is good fun - and you can bring some books home... some libraries do a story time, too, but it may not be the right day for you.

Glorianny Sat 05-Aug-23 10:13:31

You need to check out places that might possibly have some activity in your area. So look at schools, nurseries, churches and libraries all of them might have some provision. But as you need something just for a Friday it may be difficult to match your needs. If you can't find a regular organised session you might find there are one-off experiences you can take her to, check libraries/galleries etc. If you have a pool nearby you could try taking her swimming. Otherwise, parks and walks may be quite enough. You may also find that she develops views over where she wants to go. My GS had a favourite walk that we did every week and involved going to look at a boat on a trailer! He always wanted to do it.

Sago Sat 05-Aug-23 10:20:05

Why would you come on to a forum and ask this question?
Wouldn’t it be more straightforward to type in “ toddler groups activities DY3”?

Glorianny Sat 05-Aug-23 10:27:09

Sago

Why would you come on to a forum and ask this question?
Wouldn’t it be more straightforward to type in “ toddler groups activities DY3”?

Because you are a grandad hoping for help????

ElaineI Sat 05-Aug-23 19:55:13

Our libraries have "Bookbugs" for toddlers. All 3 of ours have been to that. Also explore toddler groups in area. Some churches do messy play. If you are on Facebook join a local group and ask.

ElaineI Sat 05-Aug-23 19:57:09

Where is DY3? Might be better to say which town/area in case any grans on here come from there.

ParlorGames Sat 05-Aug-23 19:59:10

Enquire at your local library to see if they do a 'rhyme, rhythm and roll' session. It is aimed at youngsters and is great fun.

ParlorGames Sat 05-Aug-23 20:00:46

ElaineI

Where is DY3? Might be better to say which town/area in case any grans on here come from there.

I believe it is Dudley in the West Midlands

VioletSky Sat 05-Aug-23 20:04:22

Try local churches and libraries

Churches quite often do stay and play mornings and libraries do story and singing sessions

welbeck Sat 05-Aug-23 20:06:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

welbeck Sat 05-Aug-23 20:07:40

i meant Sago's point; exact same thing i was thinking.
be careful.

Callistemon21 Sat 05-Aug-23 20:11:27

Try googling baby and toddler music groups in your area.
They are great fun.
Music and dancing.

Redrobin51 Sat 05-Aug-23 20:13:37

There are rattle and rhyme sessions at most of the libraries in Dudley. Get your name on the list ASAP as they are extremely popular. The little ones really enjoy them.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Aug-23 08:36:34

Hope you find something fun. Activities only last a short time but do break up the day if you have a toddler.

Sago Sun 06-Aug-23 10:33:16

welbeck

i meant Sago's point; exact same thing i was thinking.
be careful.

Thank you!

I can understand how so many people get scammed through a willingness to be kind and helpful.

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Aug-23 10:55:30

There’s loads of stuff going on in Dudley. I grew up in DY5.
I agree it’s an odd thing /place to ask this.

Elegran Sun 06-Aug-23 12:03:08

Why not ask at your local council office? They know about all local groups for babies and small children, as the groups and organisers have to be registered and screened. (That is both for the physical and emotional needs of the children playing there, and to make sure that those running the groups are aware of the potential dangers from adults.) The local authority can provide you with information.

Sago Sun 06-Aug-23 12:25:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Aug-23 13:10:23

I think music groups and libraries are a good start. 👍

Glorianny Mon 07-Aug-23 12:50:26

There is a franchise called "Messy Monkeys" which might be in your area. Mind it is what it says and you have to be prepared to bath and change the toddler at the end of a session.