Gransnet forums

Gardening

Anyone else too wet for seed potatoes?

(10 Posts)
Jaxjacky Wed 27-Mar-24 14:34:23

I’ve got seed potatoes nicely chitting, but it’s too wet both in our garden and my friends allotment to put them in, I think they’d rot.
Anyone else chomping at the bit to get on? The forecast for the next week looks dire too.

Casdon Wed 27-Mar-24 14:48:04

Yes, mine are still in egg boxes, sprouting, I haven’t got room for them to be potted on pending the weather improving.

karmalady Fri 29-Mar-24 15:18:40

I put mine in today. I prepped the soil a couple of weeks ago and it is damp but draining and not claggy. A raised bed and never stood on, so the soil is not compressed

Jaxjacky Fri 29-Mar-24 15:27:09

My raised bed is too wet and the allotment is a definite no no, they’ll wait, advice on the allotment forum I use says the same. The ground is cold too, we may get a frost tonight down south.

Katie59 Fri 29-Mar-24 15:49:28

Mine were planted 2 weeks ago but it’s very light sandy soil it just needs lots of watering in dry weather. On heavy soil you shouldn’t plant yet, plenty of time for potatoes right into May if needs be

M0nica Fri 29-Mar-24 16:07:56

I planted mine on Tuesday in raised beds.

QuaintIrene Fri 29-Mar-24 16:25:02

I haven't put mine in yet. I'm a peelings in tubs gardener. The rain is relentless here and I'll just end up with a row of rotting stuff. In tubs..

BlueBelle Fri 29-Mar-24 17:20:42

I ve put my tub ones in the garden today but not the allotment ones yet

MiniMoon Fri 29-Mar-24 17:39:29

Too wet here too. DH has been trying to put weed killer on the patio, but every time he goes out with the watering can it rains and washes the stuff away.

Jaxjacky Sun 07-Apr-24 15:00:44

Well, they’ve gone in today, just a couple of short rows, Casablanca are the type. I’ve also sown a row of beetroot, some carrots and basil in a pot, the wind over the last few days and no rain for over two has dried it out.