Gransnet forums

Gardening

Recommendation for a bird bath

(7 Posts)
jeanie99 Mon 25-Mar-24 23:39:34

I've had a pretty basic plastic container which was originally used for gardening as a bird bath. It's a delight seeing the amount of different birds visiting our garden for drinking and bathing. I've had it in mind for some years to purchase a more attractive bath for the wildlife.
I would love to hear of your recommendations and why you recommend the style for consideration for my small garden.

Mizuna Tue 26-Mar-24 09:02:29

I don't have space on my patio for a freestanding birdbath so I put a large saucer/dish on my patio table and the birds love it! It's one of those that looks like a large cabbage leaf and fits in well with the surrounding greenery. I did use a glass trifle bowl for a while but it attracted the gulls which didn't work for the smaller birds.

GrannySomerset Tue 26-Mar-24 09:07:48

We have a stone birdbath, made in the 1930s by a local (Yorkshire) stone mason for DH’s grandmother. All it needs is regular scrubbing and is a joy as the small birds queue up to use it - I can almost imagine little towels over their wings. Needs frequent refilling as it is shallow but is the source of much pleasure.

jeanie99 Fri 29-Mar-24 14:14:11

I am still trying to work out which type would suit me best.
Thank you for your comments, have a lovely time in the garden this year.

Primrose53 Fri 29-Mar-24 16:29:20

I have several. one is stone, one is ceramic and i also have a bronze coloured plastic one that looks like metal. It’s easy to move and clean and the birds love it.

Churchview Fri 29-Mar-24 17:27:57

I bought one of those big glazed saucers from the garden centre. About £8 I think and I believe they're meant for standing pots in.

I've put a few pebbles in mine and after their bath the birds stand on them to shake their feathers dry. I can tell when they've been in as the patio around it is soaked. The blackbirds use it most but this afternoon a robin was having a right old time in there

J52 Fri 29-Mar-24 18:13:02

We have a stone one, on a pedestal. The birds were always fighting for space, so we bought a huge plastic plant pot saucer and put it on top. The birds spend a lot of time in their ‘Lido’.