Gransnet forums

Gardening

I did the nematodes today

(10 Posts)
karmalady Fri 22-Mar-24 15:40:28

Slug nematodes. Perfect weather right now and I did all the measuring perfectly, even bought a new watering can, 5 litres

They worked in the past but I admit to being more slapdash. Last year below surface was just too dry

I did the 40m pack and have ordered another for may, not buying any more this year. Works out at around £15 a session as it is.

I measured soil temperature at 12 degrees and used masses of rainwater to wash them down so even if it dips below 5 tonight, they will be fine. I hope to goodness they work, they had a feast last year. I tried beer traps last year but never again. They did attract some but the stench was horrible. Only the nematodes decimate the little slugs that live under the surface.

I have had brilliant results in the past, on my allotment and the results continued into the next season

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 16:25:09

I can't help it, but the word 'nematode' makes me think of character like Bryan to snail out of the magic roundabout programme.
A bright green, snail creature, with polka dots, and a pork pie hat! smile
Let's hope they do the trick: they are highly recommended, from what little know about them.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 16:25:59

Oh.... arrange the above into something that vaguely makes sense. blush

BlueBelle Fri 22-Mar-24 16:31:22

According to the latest Snails and slugs are valuable for our gardens ( but I can’t remember why I ll have to look it up)

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Mar-24 16:32:20

I used them last year karmalady successfully in my garden veg plot.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 16:33:06

I find them absolutely repulsive.
Horrible things!

Grammaretto Fri 22-Mar-24 17:00:09

I think it was on Gardener's world BlueBelle. We were told we should accept slugs as part of nature's eco system. Hmm 😒

I now try to avoid growing too many tasty snacks for them. Some things they dont eat;
Parsley and most herbs (not basil)
Potatoes
Kale
Onions
Leeks
Runner beans
Established shrubs and herbaceous plants

I once bought a few trays of bedding plants to pretty up a border. My young Helper planted them out and was delighted with her first attempt at gardening.
Next morning she came inside and asked me who had stolen them! Not a single one remained.

OldFrill Fri 22-Mar-24 17:13:47

I lived in a cottage in a glade and the garden was infested with slugs, they crawled up the exterior walls at night, couldn't leave windows open. They chomped their way through most new plants and vegetables. Nematodes worked to an extent, the only real defence - beer traps (disgusting ) and midnight forays with a torch. There was also the snail parade.... 50-100 crossing dry chuckies to reach the raised veg containers, it was a battlefield. Ultimately my dream home came on the market and l moved.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 18:06:17

I trod on a slug accidentally once, and I'm traumatised to this day.

karmalady Thu 04-Apr-24 07:38:40

I feel very lucky re timing. They need damp soil for two weeks and have not once needed to go out and water at any stage after day one, when I had to do the drenching to get them below the surface

There are quite a few empty snail shells on the top now so there must be masses of the small black devastating slugs dead underground. I have one more slug nematode pack coming during may.

One time, when I had an allotment, the results were also evident the following year, hardly any slug damage that year