Gransnet forums

Gardening

Sycamore Gap

(7 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Sun 10-Mar-24 11:13:35

If I wanted clones of the original tree I would break off a few twigs, getting a good bark heel, dip in hormone rooting powder, stick in a pot and let them get on with it. I would end up with clones of original.
From seed? Not a clone, could have been pollinated froma other tree.
Grafted? That means to "a root stock". What of? So not a clone.
Am I missing something here? They are claiming to be making clones from seed and using root stock.

TinSoldier Sun 10-Mar-24 11:39:22

Sycamore trees have strategies to prevent self-poliination and can hybrised with other Acers.

I see no mention of cloning in this, only that rescued seeds and cuttings from the felled tree have sprouted so any new tree will have the felled tree as its parent.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/mar/09/seedlings-from-felled-sycamore-gap-tree-have-sprouted-says-national-trust

Bridie22 Sun 10-Mar-24 12:29:01

I was so pleased to to see the saved seeds from the felled sycamore tree have started to sprout.

aggie Sun 10-Mar-24 12:53:47

Sycamore trees shed millions os seed , in fact it’s a weed !

Bridie22 Sun 10-Mar-24 13:10:42

Well that's one beautiful weed !

Gwyllt Sun 10-Mar-24 13:16:09

I used to live with a sycamore tree with a tree preservation order. It had a fantastic crown First the flowers made a mess then the wings and then the leaves. Not to mention the honey dew if anyone parked their car under it All by my main door The seedlings were everywhere and if you missed them another young tree.
Give me an oak or an ash any day

Oreo Sun 10-Mar-24 17:06:56

The fuss made by the felling of this tree seemed out of all proportion to me.The farmer who did it had every right to cut it down as it was on his land.
The British sentimental streak was fully powered up.
They grow fast, unlike oaks.