Gransnet forums

Gardening

Multiple flowering Magnolia

(18 Posts)
Cath9 Fri 08-Mar-24 19:24:28

Has anyone got the multiple flowering magnolia that flowers twice a year? If so where have you planted it?
I ask because my one is now in it’s second year but doesn’t look happy so I was wondering if it should be in a pot or my back garden where my other magnolias are doing well

Gulab Thu 14-Mar-24 10:02:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Esmay Fri 15-Mar-24 14:38:44

Hi Cath ,
Just noticed your post about magnolias .
I really love them and my favourite is a Stellata .
I've never known mine to flower twice a year .
And they haven't done that well in pots for me .
I'd keep it planted out with your other magnolias , which are doing well .
I bet that they look lovely .

winterwhite Fri 15-Mar-24 14:52:06

Our stellata is both earlier than usual and even prettier than usual. Flowers have opened right out - like stars!
Never heard of dual-flowering variety. Do tell us more.

Silvermite Fri 15-Mar-24 15:19:40

Stellata all the way for me too. At the moment mine is in a pot. However Gardener tells me it needs putting in the ground as it looks pot bound. I now need to find a place for it to go.

Esmay Sat 16-Mar-24 12:10:15

It's an incredible fact that magnolias were on this planet before bees were and relied on beetles .
I feel sad when I see an incredible specimen felled as another garden is paved over .
They are slow growing and I estimate the age of the larger ones to be about 90 years .
Solangeana is the preferred one where I live , but for me nothing beats the delicacy of a stellata .

NanaTuesday Sat 16-Mar-24 12:43:30

Oh , I have no idea which species my Magnolia is , but it has previously flowered twice .Althlugh we have only had it for 5 years approx. This year the buds are there but are failing to open which is sad .

Namsnanny Sat 16-Mar-24 13:15:15

We have a huge magnolia, bigger than a house. It was there when we moved in.
I love it and have in fact extended the house around it 🤣
It does flower twice some years, but not many appear on the second round.
Poor thing has been buffeted in recent winds, but that is normal for us.
It grows so well, we have to prune/chop large branches off every other year, which I hate doing, but it makes no difference to the growth or flowering.

Speaking of Magnolias, we have planted many types of bulbs and ground cover underneath. But they all seem to die off after a couple of years.
Some trees roots give of chemicals that kill other plants - can anyone confirm that M do this?
I have looked on internet, with no luck.

Gin Sat 16-Mar-24 13:25:28

My purple stellata is just breaking, dark purple candle like blossoms that opens out into paler stars. It often blooms on and off throughout the summer but only a few flowers.

Primrose53 Sat 16-Mar-24 16:23:29

I don’t have a magnolia but there are some stunners around here.🙂

crissy Sat 16-Mar-24 17:08:28

I have a beautiful magnolia like Namsnanny's, about 60 years old. It has a slight second flush later on in the summer. I sometimes tip all my home made compost around it in the autumn when the bulbs and flowers underneath have finished to give it a good feed. If we get a really dry spell in spring or summer it gets a really big drink. Sometimes it gets an ericaceous type feed. I always get snowdrops, crocus, daffs, hyacinths and later on forget me knots underneath. (weeds as well of course). If I can find out how to add a photo, here's one I just took. Sorry don't think it worked.

crissy Sat 16-Mar-24 17:11:17

Oh! It dud work. It needs weeding

Namsnanny Sun 17-Mar-24 13:32:40

I didnt notice the weeds crissy just the lovely daffs🙂

SheepyIzzy Tue 19-Mar-24 14:27:44

About Magnolias, though slightly off topic.

We have some down our road and various points on the way to the vets and apparently, the town where my vets are has hundreds all along the roads, lining gardens.

We've been going to the vets since 1994/1995 and in all those years NEVER seen such a display as the blooms in 2022.

Every month we made the same trip and the magnolias on the entire 50 ish mile round trip, were all in bloom, they were stunning! 2022 was that scorcher year, maybe why the display was so good. We lost her in September 22. When her sister took ill last year, the Magnolias though out and stunning, not as good, weather was cooler. My beloved died 7 months to the day of losing the other and its strange as like I said at the beginning, the Magnolias have NEVER bloomed like they did in 2022.

I would like one, just don't have space.

crissy Thu 21-Mar-24 17:07:48

SheepIzzy. Magnolias don't mind a bit of cold, it's the frost that gets them, especially when all the delicate petals are out and an early morning frost is followed by bright sunshine - it just scorches the petals. Mine also faces east, so a double whammy. I remember 2022 - not a scorched leaf and a lovely display for weeks. Looks like we're getting it again this year fingers crossed. It breaks my heart when I look out the window and see a load of brown petals!!

I'm so sorry you have lost your pets.

Ziplok Thu 28-Mar-24 22:09:18

Our magnolia (not sure which one, but not stellata), has a second flush in July/August, but not as many flowers as in the first, spring flush. It would become quite large, but we have it pruned each year.

nanna8 Thu 28-Mar-24 22:31:09

Ours does. It is a white one but things here tend to flower more than once,it is a bit warmer. Mine isn’t as pretty as those lovely pink ones. It took a while to get going but seems to have ‘taken off’ at last.

Cath9 Thu 04-Apr-24 13:34:37

Thanks al.
I have now put my multi coloured magnolia in the back garden not far from the other two.
I will have to be very patient as it has gone through a lot but the stem is still green so I hope it will survive.
The other two are called, Yellow Bird and Genie