Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hyacinth bulbs

(19 Posts)
MoonStone93 Sun 11-Feb-24 14:17:23

A couple of months ago I bought a big pot of the most beautiful, vivid blue, hyacinths.
They have flowered and are now dying back and I seem to remember, at my junior school (early 1960's), that we had a school project where we grew hyacinths, tended to them and once they were "spent" we were taught how to prepare the bulbs and then properly store them so that they could be replanted the following year.
All I can remember is that they had to be stored in a dark place.
Can anyone advise me as to how I prepare the bulbs ready for storing them, how and where to store them and when do I bring them out for replanting?
Thank you.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 11-Feb-24 14:20:04

Just plant them in the garden now and they will flower next spring.

Ilovecheese Sun 11-Feb-24 14:26:32

As Germanshepherdsmum says. No special treatment needed.

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 11-Feb-24 14:43:54

Especially when you've forgotten all about them and they suddenly shimmy out!

JaneJudge Sun 11-Feb-24 14:45:19

Tesco had pots of hyacinths reduced to £1 and they've come out beautifully

winterwhite Sun 11-Feb-24 14:50:31

But if wanted for indoors, I thought the rule was to keep them in a clearly labelled paper bag in a coolish dark place, then bring them out in about Nov - and probably mix them up with the tulips because the bags split.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 11-Feb-24 15:01:57

I think if you want indoor hyacinths it’s better to buy fresh, professionally prepared ones each year.

Casdon Sun 11-Feb-24 15:46:44

Hyacinths will come every year if they are in containers, but you need to feed them, just cut off the flower stems and give them a liquid high-potassium feed, such as tomato fertiliser, from now until six weeks after flowering, don’t forget to keep them well watered if you leave them in the original pots. I do this with my outside hyacinths and they do well. I agree with others though, I always buy new ones each year for inside, because the faff of keeping tiny indoor pots in the right conditions through the summer is an effort, mine are all in big planters so it’s easier.

BlueBelle Sun 11-Feb-24 16:04:51

I always put them straight in the garden and they are lovely for the next year

Norah Sun 11-Feb-24 16:16:46

I plant them, every year, with all others. I have quite a nice show years on.

Davida1968 Sun 11-Feb-24 17:51:14

I agree with others here - they can be planted into the garden quite soon after flowering indoors. I usually leave them outside (still in their pot) for a couple of weeks, to acclimatise, before planting them into the garden. I can see lots of hyacinths from previous years already coming up; they appear year after year.

woodenspoon Sun 11-Feb-24 17:55:00

I put them in the garden after flowering and they are doing well without any extra attention from me. They flower every year without fail.

JamesandJon33 Sun 11-Feb-24 18:01:21

I plant my potted hyacinth in the garden every year. Quite a large display now.

MoonStone93 Mon 12-Feb-24 18:53:41

Thanks everyone for all your posts. As you can probably tell I am not green fingered at all but I'm going to get my trowel out and get them planted 🌷🌸

Ziplok Tue 13-Feb-24 17:08:49

I’ve just popped some in the garden today that had been an indoor gift. I’ve done this in previous years, and as other posters have said, I now have quite a nice display.

Esmay Tue 13-Feb-24 17:56:24

I'd plant them out .
Thaw out the ground with a kettle of hot water and wait .
I've planted out every pot of hyacinths I've had after flowering .

sham1412 Thu 22-Feb-24 14:03:36

To prepare hyacinth bulbs for storing, let them dry naturally after the flowers die back. Once dry, gently remove any soil and store them in a cool, dark place like a paper bag or mesh bag until fall. Plant them again in late summer or early fall for spring blooms.

sham1412 Sun 25-Feb-24 10:13:52

Esmay

I'd plant them out .
Thaw out the ground with a kettle of hot water and wait .
I've planted out every pot of hyacinths I've had after flowering .

If you want to know more you should visit:
thegardenation.com/

25Avalon Mon 26-Feb-24 07:41:07

I let them dry off and leave them in the pots in the utility room. I buy new prepared ones for next year. The saved ones I plant up in my winter hanging basket with other bulbs and plants. Right now they are giving a splash of colour with the dwarf daffodils.