Gransnet forums

Gardening

What veg seeds have you got growing in January ?

(18 Posts)
paris123 Sun 28-Jan-24 14:21:04

We are determined to grow a lot more container veg this year,
We did really well last year raised beds and even grew loads of container veg on our front drive as a lot of wasted space their as we dont own a car now.
So we decided to sow a few seed on the windowsill and im so pleased a lot has germinated. Iv got early pea and 'big mama, yellow lidl, crimson crush and tigerella tom seeds up
But non of my , onion, aub or sweet pepper up yet, they didnt work last year either sad

grannyactivist Sun 28-Jan-24 14:23:12

Seeds growing? Aaargh, we only got around to talking about buying them yesterday. It will be a while before we see any seedlings I’m afraid.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jan-24 14:23:46

I don’t sow anything until February then it’s broad beans and tomatoes to begin with.

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Jan-24 14:25:25

Too early for me, in about a month I’ll start tomatoes and chillies indoors, potatoes are chitting - Casablanca and Maris Piper.

Grandmabatty Sun 28-Jan-24 14:26:08

Much too early to sow seeds where I live.

kibera10 Sun 28-Jan-24 15:03:10

For me, much too early to be sowing vegetable seeds; however have got Broad Bean Aquadulce plants growing (sowed first week November) and doing well, will sow some more at the end of February. Onions from seed - I wait until mid March and then sow in cell trays and plant out, onions wont be as large as from sets or seeds planted early January but more chance of success and I prefer smaller onions. I also have some sweet pea plants growing well, planted in October in pots and will sow more in early March. Although seeds will germinate if sown early, I have a problem with keeping them growing well and there is a higher risk of damping off

AskAlice Sun 28-Jan-24 15:16:42

I sowed my chilli seeds this morning (five different types) and now have the in a heated propogator on the kitchen windowsill. I find that they need a really long season to get any worthwhile results and this timing has always worked for me in the past. When they are a reasonable size I pot them on and keep them in a warm room indoors until about March/April, when they go into the greenhouse with a little extra warmth if necessary at night from a paraffin heater and potting them on as necessary. I live in the South East.

I've also sown a couple of little pots of cherry tomatoes and will treat them the same as the chillies. My main tomato sowing time will be next month, again in a heated propogator.

Gwyllt Sun 28-Jan-24 16:06:39

Don’t know about veg seeds The weeds are growing well

JamesandJon33 Sun 28-Jan-24 16:25:16

Only sow broad beans directly into the earth in November. Everything else has to wait until March. January seems very early to start raising seeds

paris123 Sun 28-Jan-24 17:47:18

l agree, January does seem really early, but l have to sow seeds a few at a time each month due to being disabled. It seems to work for me as last year we had over 24 different variety of tomatoes that l started off slowly last January, Must admit all my window sills were chock a block by April lol.
Just looked at my list for seed sowing for February which ll start sowing nk Saturday ( my seed sowing days )
it will be lettuces, spring onions, more peas, summer cabbages and more diff toms.
We spend just l hr a day gardening, with days designated for certain jobs. My husband doses all the heavy jobs and l'll. do the lighter jobs like seed sowing and weeding etc.. We are now self sufficent in fruit, salads and herbs most of the year. We have 12 dwarf fruit trees that l bought 6 yrs ago that are planted along the fences and a muscat grape behind the waterbutt that was over loads with fruit last year.All our soft fruits are all at top of garden by the greenhouse.. All my strawberry plants edge the raised walls where l grow my cottage cutting flowers.and my small raised goldfish pond has seated area where l grow my small scented roses and climbers. l broke my ankle a year ago and l was so grateful to be able to sit there sowing a few seeds. We have only been in this bungalow for 6 years and l love my garden to bits. Just wish l had more energy to grow more.
iv got 5 strawberry plug plants on window sill growing well that l bought few weeks ago off internet. They are the pink flowered ones that says grows well in hanging baskets.
We plan on growing more new potatoes this year in container towers on the patio with all my salads for ease of harvest, like last year. We saved a fortune so we want to make use of every available space, even on the front drive. l made a list of what didnt grow well on the shaded front drive, ie Tomatoes and peas., but everything else works, including runner beans, Was a great talking point when the post lady came lol. The only veg iv not yet be able to grow well in back garden are carrots, iv no idea where l go wrong. We have a small greenhouse that gets full to the brim by April on wards, just wish l had a bigger greenhouse as there is nothing better than sitting out there sowing more seeds in the Spring.
l save all my cashback money for buying all my garden things ie new variety of seeds each month or for the seed compost. Im treating my self to a new trowel set and now looking for a pattern to make a garden apron to make from old jeans. We recycle everything for the garden so it doesnt cost us very much, l just wish l had a larger veg plot instead of the 3 raised beds and patio we have. Im always looking for space saving garden tips.
ps are we able to post photos on this forum as ld love to post photos of my garden ?

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Jan-24 18:15:47

When you post paris123 below text you can Choose File and select from your pictures.

Grammaretto Sun 28-Jan-24 19:55:48

I admire your enthusiasm! In Scotland I am going to leave sowing and growing until much later. Our best nursery opens again in March.

With tomatoes I buy them as plants at the street fair in May and let others grow from seed. I only have space for a couple really. Potatoes will go in as soon as the soil warms up.
April and May are pleasant in the garden.
I have enjoyed kale and cabbage this winter. It keeps on growing.

BlueBelle Sun 28-Jan-24 20:24:06

Way way too early for me with no heat except in my main room (which has no room for seeds) they wouldn’t stand a chance that s fine by me they ll be flowering when everyone else s has finished

SheepyIzzy Tue 06-Feb-24 17:37:11

Need to clear space for my seed spuds to chit, got broads in garden overwintering, backup of 2 trays worth in greenhouse, all about 4 inches high, and will plant more later this month as we love broads. Been sent onion seeds red baron so may sow those, but also have sets to go in ground. Toms will be outside this year so will sow several varieties, likewise lettuce, chard, squashes, French beans. Now, what I picture in my mind of how the garden will look with pots and pots of veggies is never what it actually looks like. Don't need to buy food though for several months!

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 06-Feb-24 18:06:29

I always look out for your lovely posts Paris123! I'm going to grow mini pumpkins again this year, little 'patty-pans' and some of those ugly/cute ones. I like to plant out strawberries for the blackbirds too. When you sew your apron be sure to include a grommet in the pocket to feed your ball of string throughsmile

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Feb-24 18:07:42

DH sows tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, aubergines etc in the heated propagator in the greenhouse and as they grow on they get moved to the box with a soil warming cable and stay there until the nights are warm enough for the plants to cope, when they get moved to their permanent places.

Other veg gets sown as and when. I think he has summer cauliflowers coming along - not sure w

Jane71 Tue 06-Feb-24 20:45:01

We have garlic growing, but nothing else.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Feb-24 00:26:23

Yes, outdoors there is garlic and onions. We used to have an allotment, but now it is only veg Trugs and containers, but we grow a surprising amount in them.