Gransnet forums

Gardening

Sweet peas

(8 Posts)
Suzieque66 Sat 06-Jan-24 09:30:28

Has anyone any experience of growing sweet peas in a hanging basket ? ... I think its possible but havent seen any done this way ?Thanks

25Avalon Sat 06-Jan-24 10:07:53

I think you need sweet peas that are specifically for hanging baskets. You can do ordinary culinary peas in a basket to eat the pea shoots but you need a low growing variety.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 06-Jan-24 10:10:34

Yes, you need a variety which is specifically for hanging baskets. The ordinary ones won’t be suitable, too tall/long.

crazyH Sat 06-Jan-24 10:13:35

My dear friend (I) used to grow them in pots, hanging baskets etc. She loved her sweet peas. Wish she was still with us. I would have asked her for a few tips and passed them on to you.🥲

shysal Sat 06-Jan-24 11:07:46

I bought some sweet pea plants, specifically for hanging baskets, a few years ago, but they were very disappointing despite dead-heading every day. I won't be bothering again.

Iam64 Sat 06-Jan-24 11:10:59

My experience has been they do much better in the soil, their roots need more room than even a large pot provides

25Avalon Sat 06-Jan-24 15:20:56

I’ve just bought a packet off EBay. Apparently they will also grow in containers and are good for groundcover. Also sweet perfume. We shall see.

JustinJames Wed 10-Jan-24 13:51:50

Absolutely, growing sweet peas in a hanging basket is not only possible but can be quite charming! Ensure your basket has good drainage, use a quality potting mix, and provide support for the vines. Regular watering and deadheading will promote more blooms. Give it a try, and enjoy your sweet peas cascading down in a unique display!