Gransnet forums

Gardening

Planting in December??

(8 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Sat 16-Dec-23 10:01:37

I have just had two trees planted out into the garden - they have been in large patio pots for 3 years. So ........ 2 empty pots. Most of my pots have evergreen plants in them. Could I get 2 new ones for these pots now and plant them, or should I wait till the new year when frosts are past?

Casdon Sat 16-Dec-23 10:07:17

You could buy new hardy plants which are already in plant pots for them, I’d be inclined to bed the existing plant pots into your planters for this winter though now, rather than completely replant them. I don’t know if there’s any logic to this, but I don’t disturb the roots in the winter if I can avoid it.

Gwyllt Sat 16-Dec-23 11:44:47

Just make sure any plants you buy have been acclimatised to outside conditions. Or you do so yourself

Esmay Sat 16-Dec-23 11:49:25

It depends on the species .
I warm the ground with hot water if I need to plant out so late .
It's not too late to plant out Tulips !

JustinJames Mon 01-Jan-24 13:31:29

you can go ahead and get new plants for those empty pots now. Since your garden already has evergreen plants, there's no need to wait until the new year.

juanwitmore Fri 19-Jan-24 14:52:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AreWeThereYet Fri 19-Jan-24 14:59:52

You could plant the pots up, we do that, but don't let the pots freeze or the roots will freeze. We usually wrap them in something like packing material that you get in deliveries to keep the frost off. Depends how warm it is where you live though. We've got two winter camellias in pots at the moment waiting to be planted out but our clay soil is too hard and cold.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-Jan-24 16:02:57

Could you buy two new evergreen plants in pots slightly smaller than your two pots and just place them, in their pots, in your empty pots?

iyswim - there are rather a lot of pots in that sentence.

ie Buy two new plants in pots and just bung them, as they are, in the ones you have already!

You can then re-pot them properly in the Spring