Gransnet forums

Gardening

Apple Tree butchered

(15 Posts)
Allsorts Fri 15-Dec-23 04:18:48

I had a man, very pkeasan5 come highly recommended by two friends of mine, come and prune my 70 year old apple tree. My pride and joy. I saw him made an excellent job of the small tree, then answered a phone call, mad a cuppa, I looked out of the window and huge limbs had been reduced by half, not a branch, I rushed out but it was too late to do anything. He said it was necessary as all the inside was too crowded and it would be fine, I know it won’t. It hadn’t been pruned for twenty years and was crowded but how can it ever recover.. To add insult to injury I had to pay. He cleaned up, was pleasant. Will it just slowly die now as it must be in shock. I should have said no more than 20 per cent reduction but I didn’t,

BlueBelle Fri 15-Dec-23 05:40:04

I think you may be worrying unnecessarily he is probably right if it hasn’t been pruned for 20 years there must have been loads of branches that needed to be reduced and removed to allow it to flourish and breathe I m sure it won’t die When they get so overgrown and bushy the inner branches get no light
I think your tree in a year or two will be wonderful for having had a major haircut It really doesn’t sound butchered Allsorts

teabagwoman Fri 15-Dec-23 07:00:35

I agree with Bluebelle. My ancient apple tree was hard pruned a while ago and looked awful. I didn't get much blossom the first year but since then it has thrived and produced heavy crops of excellent cookers.

fiorentina51 Fri 15-Dec-23 07:08:59

I agree with BlueBelle.
I help out at a local farm and one of my tasks is to tend the fruit trees in 2 very old orchards.
If the tree hasn't been pruned for 20 years or more, there's a risk that the overcrowded branches will rub together and disease can attack it.
Likewise, lack of light and poor air circulation means that your fruit crops less healthy.
Long straggly main limbs can break increasing the risk of disease and the death of the tree.

I have seen trees heavily pruned at this time of year and the way they bounce back in the spring is amazing.
Take a look at some of the online videos on pruning apple trees. It might put your mind at rest.

Georgesgran Fri 15-Dec-23 07:22:11

Another thinking you’re worrying too much. After a gap of 20 years, the tree would need a heavy prune (any reason for that long delay?). I’ve had my trees pruned quite drastically on a couple of occasions and the crop the following summer was poor, but was soon back to normal. The crowns need to be thinned to get light and air to the fruits. I’m sure your tree will survive and be all the better for the harsh treatment.

Allsorts Sat 16-Dec-23 06:41:05

Thank you all for your reassuring replies. I couldn't have left it as it was do feel better about it, whatever the outcome.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Dec-23 07:48:24

Allsorts don’t expect a big crop this coming year it may not have many at all it will sulk a bit but come the following year I bet you have a great crop and just like us trees do need haircuts and 20 years is a long time it’s probably thinking ‘hey up what’s happened here’ The man knew what he was doing, trust him

Baggs Sat 16-Dec-23 12:09:21

It'll be fine. Apple trees need to be pruned hard.

Shelflife Sat 16-Dec-23 17:18:26

Allsorts, I understand how you feel sorry for your lovely apple tree, however I think your tree will thank you eventually!

25Avalon Mon 18-Dec-23 21:52:13

It will be ok but you will probably have reduced fruit for a couple of years. Panic not.

JustinJames Mon 01-Jan-24 13:28:25

BlueBelle

I think you may be worrying unnecessarily he is probably right if it hasn’t been pruned for 20 years there must have been loads of branches that needed to be reduced and removed to allow it to flourish and breathe I m sure it won’t die When they get so overgrown and bushy the inner branches get no light
I think your tree in a year or two will be wonderful for having had a major haircut It really doesn’t sound butchered Allsorts

Trees are resilient, so it might survive, but the shock could affect its growth and appearance.

Esmay Thu 11-Jan-24 13:47:19

Your tree will recover , but won't fruit for a couple of years .
If it's a commercial tree in an old orchard it wouldn't bother you .
However in the meantime , you have an ugly tree in your garden , which you want to look as attractive as possible .

Against my advice , my father insisted on employing someone to prune his Robinia
Frisia .
Once a lovely specimen , it was hideous .
I planted climbers including Clematis over it to disguise the butchery with success . You could do the same and transplant them once the tree is less of an eyesore .

Paperchain Tue 23-Jan-24 01:09:01

Hello I am new here smile
27 years ago, when we moved to this house, we "inherited" 2 huge apple trees, which by the looks of them had never been pruned. I realised they needed pruning, to open up the centre for air to circulate etc., but I also realised it couldn't all be done in one go, or the trees simply would not survive. Down the 27 years we have lived here, I have pruned each year, not all that needed doing, just some, and so my trees fruit profusely now.
Also I hit the white woolly aphid out from between branches with the hosepipe, it works!

Paperchain Tue 23-Jan-24 13:36:00

quoting you
" I looked out of the window and huge limbs had been reduced by half, not a branch, "
unquote
You seem to be worried that the apple tree will die because of the cut to one of the huge branches, which you call a "limb".
If this is the case, you can buy, from any garden centre, paint to paint onto the end of the cut "limb" which will stop any disease getting into the tree from there.
Also you can buy from any garden centre, paint, to paint around the base of the apple tree, to stop the coddling moth climbing up to lay eggs in the tree. You will need to paint a ring around the base of the trunk about 15 inches high all around.
Hope this helps smile

paris123 Wed 24-Jan-24 15:08:23

hello everyone. joined this lovely forum when looking for gardening chats.
just wanted to say l think the apple tree will be fine. we have lots of fruit trees and will be pruning them soon. We give all our fruit trees and soft fruit plants l tabl of BFB per tree/plant every month. We get bumper crops every year.