Gransnet forums

Gardening

My crazy Cordyline tree

(4 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 04-Dec-23 06:36:25

I have a Cordyline tree in my little front garden it has just flowered for the second time this year What the …. !!!
They normally flower in July, mine did, but has just done so again It’s never done it before, (that I ve noticed) in the 25 plus years it’s been growing
Yesterday I heard a LOT of squeaking and squawking and looked out my window the tree was black with (I think starlings) hanging from every part of the tree trying to grab the tiny berries A car whoosh by and they all flew off, as one ….within seconds, with lots more noise, they were all back Within minutes they’d all gone again and not returned I grabbed my phone but disappointedly there was only a few left as I clicked.
There’s about a dozen tucked amongst the leaves, can you see them ? But that s a fraction of before I clicked
Where did the all come from? and why didn’t they come back for more of a feast? Why is a Cordyline flowering in December?

Farmor15 Mon 04-Dec-23 13:46:38

I have a cordyline and it seems to be flowering again too - maybe something to do with weather? I haven't noticed any birds on it.

Mine is quite young - had seeded itself from a neighbour's garden. I was surprised when it flowered last spring as I assumed they needed to be more mature.

25Avalon Wed 06-Dec-23 21:06:50

I can’t answer but the perfume is lovely or I think so.

MerylStreep Wed 06-Dec-23 21:16:39

Cordyline envy 🤢 I have 2 large ones that have never flowered.