Gransnet forums

Gardening

Clearing leaves when you have back problems.

(19 Posts)
teabagwoman Sun 03-Dec-23 14:57:04

I have two lovely apple trees and the leaves are coming down now. I went out yesterday and brushed them up for about15 minutes. Today I’m sat with a heat pack against my back, looking at leaf blowers. Any suggestions, advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

tanith Sun 03-Dec-23 15:49:53

My husband bought a leaf blower with a collection bag but it was too heavy and once I’d picked up some leaves it was impossible. I got rid of it and now I rack them into a pile but I limit myself to a few minutes at a time.
If you buy one check how heavy it is.

tanith Sun 03-Dec-23 15:50:40

That should be rake them up.

Beechnut Sun 03-Dec-23 15:59:32

One of my neighbours uses something with a spike on the end. Looks a good idea to me, no bending.

Redhead56 Sun 03-Dec-23 16:38:00

I use a very wide brush it’s not too heavy and it brushes up a large amount of leaves at once.

AreWeThereYet Sun 03-Dec-23 16:45:01

I'm lucky I have a battery operated Ryobi lawn mower. It is on quite thick wheels so easy to push, and very light. In the Autumn I use it to mow the leaves up on the high setting - it cuts them up and some go on the beds and some in the garden bin. I mow the drive and paths as well as the lawn - I'm sure the neighbours think I'm mad 🤣 As we have loads of leaves it's an absolute gem.

lixy Sun 03-Dec-23 16:53:02

light-weight plastic rake?

I've never used a leaf blower myself but the ones I see being used by the Council workers around here have a strap that goes over the shoulder. This seems to take the weight of the machine.

Georgesgran Sun 03-Dec-23 16:59:05

I’m the same - I use a wide, plastic lawn rake and rake the leaves into piles all over the garden. I have a giant sort of garden dustpan and pull the leaves into that, then drop into the garden bin.
Like Tanith I just do it little and often. We had a leaf vacuum thing years ago - very heavy and cumbersome. Mice in the garage chewed holes in the collection bag one Winter.

Kamiso Sun 03-Dec-23 17:07:24

A friend told me recently that her son in law used her lawn mower and she was amazed at how well it worked, despite her reservations.

Louella12 Sun 03-Dec-23 17:17:54

We just leave the leaves 🍃

toscalily Sun 03-Dec-23 17:22:18

I do most (all!) the raking up of leaves and a few years ago Mr T bought a leaf blower which he used once or twice. It was too heavy and awkward for me to use, a wire rake works just fine and I pace myself now, not doing too much at once so continued to use that. The leaf blower languished in the garage taking up space and when he got it out last autumn, just to do the drive way it had a big hole in the bag where the mice had made their home so it had to be thrown away, thankfully grin. I think they really are a waste of time as whenever I see a council chap using them all that seems to happen is the leaves are spread over a wider area.

midgey Sun 03-Dec-23 17:27:38

I agree with others, leaf suckers are more trouble than their worth. I bought one in a charity shop (luckily) and I was thankful to give it away! The lawn mower on high is efficient somlongbas the lawn isn’t sodden, otherwise could you wait for a gale? grin

karmalady Sun 03-Dec-23 17:31:04

I bought one last year, amazon, gracious gardens £39.99. It is very easy to use and works well. It has a bag and a shoulder strap and I don`t find it heavy

Patsy70 Sun 03-Dec-23 18:13:14

I find the leaf blower heavy and cumbersome, so either use a light rake or my battery operated lawnmower on a high setting.

MaizieD Sun 03-Dec-23 18:33:36

We use the lawn mower set on high. Then we bag some of it to make leaf mould. (Not all, though, because we have a lot of trees on our boundary) They rot down faster and the mower is less work than brushing or raking them up.

Iam64 Sun 03-Dec-23 18:40:07

Thanks for this teabagwoman. It’s stopped me buying a leaf blower. I’ll replace the plastic leaf fork picker upper that’s broken

teabagwoman Sun 03-Dec-23 20:11:07

Thank you all for your advice. I think the way forward is a lightweight lawn rake, a dustpan with a long handle and a timer so I only do a little at a time. Hopefully that’s another problem solved.

Llamedos13 Sun 03-Dec-23 22:26:58

We use a leaf blower to blow the leaves out of the borders then run over the piles with the lawnmower and mulch them.

Cadenza123 Mon 04-Dec-23 07:56:37

I also use the lawnmower. It chops up the leaves so they take up less space. We have 4 oak tree and a beech, so have mountains of leaves. It's much easier.