Gransnet forums

Gardening

As I was stripping the Bishop of York ……

(4 Posts)
Azalea99 Sun 03-Dec-23 14:43:43

…… in my greenhouse this morning (closely watched by a robin determined to get in on the action) I noticed that some of the other dahlias - 😜 - were pretty wet even though I’d put them in there a couple of days ago. Then it started to rain quite heavily and I realised that my aluminium greenhouse leaks quite badly in several places. I can’t find any specific places, the glass seems intact & I get rid of any moss as soon as I see it, so I’m at a loss to know what to do. As soon as I’ve cleaned up the dahlia tubers I need to get quite a lot of plants inside to overwinter, and obviously don’t want them getting more water than I choose to dole out. Silicone sealant would, I suspect, make the glass too rigid as I think the nearby oaks cause the ground to move a bit. I can’t risk taking panes out and reseating them, so would appreciate your ideas.

Oreo Sun 03-Dec-23 16:01:09

Hiya😂 gardening not my thing, but you gave me a laugh with the title, cor!

Elegran Sun 03-Dec-23 16:22:55

Can you rig up a sheet of plastic below the roof and protecting the dahlias and other things you want to keep drier? That could direct the water to somewhere it would do no harm. It might also make a sort of double-glazing that would keep the plants a bit warmer. Tie strings across the greenhouse under the apex and near the eaves, peg the plastic to the top one and drape it over the eaves strings. Experiment a bit. The lower corners and perhaps the centres of the sides will probably need to tied down or the weight of water could make it bulge and finally fall down - giving the plants a nice cold (an ice cold?) shower.

Azalea99 Mon 04-Dec-23 08:38:58

I like that idea - thanks. In fact I have two old shower curtains I could use. Hmmmm, yes, definitely food for thought.