Gransnet forums

Gardening

Poppies growing now

(10 Posts)
lixy Sun 12-Nov-23 14:01:13

I have dark red field poppies blooming in my front garden today. I guess they self-seeded from the Summer ones. I don't recall ever having real poppies for Remembrance Day before. Anyone else?

Aldom Sun 12-Nov-23 14:06:06

I've never seen poppies growing at this time of year.
I do have a special rose, in memory of my son. It's called precious love. It flowered as usual in the summer, and now it's full of buds just about to open. It's not done that before.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Nov-23 15:13:24

My red ones have finished but I still have orange Spanish poppies which flower from April to November.

Jaxjacky Sun 12-Nov-23 15:47:01

I saw some on a slope by the road earlier when I was driving, thought it was unusual but appropriate.

Kim19 Sun 12-Nov-23 16:00:55

I'm thrilled and delighted that I have some too. One fully opened yesterday but has taken a hit with the hard overnight frost but still well in evidence. Another two pod buds are there and swelling so I have high hopes. Oh yesssss,,,,,,,

BlueBelle Sun 12-Nov-23 16:38:28

I never think of poppies as growing this time of year but saw a wild border full in the city near me yesterday

lixy Mon 13-Nov-23 08:45:19

So glad it's not just me.
The natural world has more ways than we know of offering hope and consolation it seems.

Jaxjacky Tue 14-Nov-23 15:43:04

MrJ managed to take a picture yesterday from my car.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Nov-23 16:33:24

Good timing, lixy 🙂

No poppies but a delicate clematis is still flowering well.
The summer lobelia has taken on a new lease of life, is about a foot tall and covered with blue flowers.

I can't seem to grow red poppies at all but the orange ones spread everywhere.

JackyB Tue 14-Nov-23 19:57:47

No poppies here in central Europe. But the Californian poppies are still hanging on in there. We are beginning to wish we hadn't bought those seeds on our last trip to California.

Actually, I find all these flowers budding and flowering in winter rather worrying as it is a sign that tha globe is warming faster perhaps even than anticipated.